New to me CVA Mountain Rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
So I just brought this home today from work.
50 Cal. CVA Mountian Rifle, 32" barrel, looks like about a 1:60 twist.
Needs some restoring but the bore is Excellent with no rust in it.
I have a couple of questions though.
Does anyone know what size the nipple is and what thread the cleanout screw is so I can order extras.
My plan is to make it look similar to this one that John did awhile back.
However I may try to Brown the barrel.
I am not very good at wood work or finishing but will try my best.
John I hope you don't mind me using the pic, if so please delete.

Attachments

• CVA Mountain Rifle.JPG
    CVA Mountain Rifle.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 33
Well if it comes out looking like that congratulation. Nice looking firearm in that photo. Congratulations either way.

Got it all torn apart today.
Removed all the surface rust from the metal parts and oiled them up good.
Cleaned up the lock and trigger group.
Also started sanding off the old Varnish finish, it is a thin coat and reshaping around the trigger group.

Don't know how you feel about the extra finger hook on the triggerguard. Most people seem to like it but personally, I don't and I ground it off my mountain rifle. Here's a picture to show what it would look like without the hook.

DSCF3299.JPG

Wow that rifle looks great.
Mine will be not looking anywhere near that nice.
I am not a good wood worker, so I decided to just clean it up good and remove the varnish.
I am putting a couple coats of stain on it and then tung oil.
It is hanging in the living room now drying from the first coat.

Thanks to RhinoDave for the nipple chart. I saved that baby.

I like the wire inlay around the wedge plates. That dresses the area up nicely. Should be a good shooter for you. I have one with many thousands of rounds through it, and is my most trusted rifle though very far from the most expensive. The trigger guard felt weird to me originally too, but I came to prefer the design once I got used to it.

Don't know how you feel about the extra finger hook on the triggerguard. Most people seem to like it but personally, I don't and I ground it off my mountain rifle. Here's a picture to show what it would look like without the hook.

That little touch makes this rifle look competely different Dave, nice easy touch and we have owned originals with a similar shape trigger guards.

buck conner.jpg

It's a nice rifle indeed. I only have one rifle with the extra tg hook and it's actually a custom. The builder used parts from other rifles to keep costs down. First time I saw this little rifle I had to have it and the accuracy is splendid, to say the least.

Applied the second coat of stain today.
First coat was Mahogany, second was Dark Walnut.
I may add one more coat of Dark Walnut.

I've found that I just never use the extra finger hook, doesn't feel comfortable to me.

Can't wait to see how the stock comes out. I much prefer a darker stain. My wife's grandpa built a CVA .50 years and years ago and then set it over the mantle and never shot it. He recently gave it to my FIL, who promptly handed it to me to take and establish a load for it. The stock was done very blond and I keep thinking about stripping it down and darkening it up (with FIL's approval of course).
I still haven't shot it, we'd like to let her grandpa be the first to shoot it but he lives about an hour away and we just haven't gotten together to do it yet.

If you want a trigger guard without the finger thingy hangin down, I have one available from which I sawed the offending article. I eventually replaced the TG with one for a Leman from Track of the Wolf so the old one is surplus anyway.

Looks better than Mine, Upgraded the Adjustable sight older eyes. My barrel has a 1:66 twist does anybody elses? Picked up a spare barrel made in spain not USA and both shoot PRB pretty good, it came with the modern sight. Liked it so much upgraded the original also. Peashooterjoe

So I just brought this home today from work.
50 Cal. CVA Mountian Rifle, 32" barrel, looks like about a 1:60 twist.
Needs some restoring but the bore is Excellent with no rust in it.
I have a couple of questions though.
Does anyone know what size the nipple is and what thread the cleanout screw is so I can order extras.
My plan is to make it look similar to this one that John did awhile back.
However I may try to Brown the barrel.
I am not very good at wood work or finishing but will try my best.
John I hope you don't mind me using the pic, if so please delete.

There is a guy on facebook kashtuk bow maker he also builds BP rifles anything you need ask him he did an excellent job on mine I had him redo the butt and forearm on an old vintage Savage lever action 30 30 with rotary action,he even replaced the little butt plate which was to long,resized,redrilled and replaced! It's a shooter now!https://www.facebook.com/kashtuk.bowcraft

Good find. I just restored one in .45.
Have fun with yours.

The Mountain Rifle was the epitome of CVA's engineering. The best gun they ever made. I have never lifted a more balanced rifle to my shoulder.

The 32" barrel has a 1-66 twist which makes it highly accurate with a patched round ball (PBR).

When CVA went to producing in-lines only, they sold all their remaining inventory of parts to Deer Creek Products out of Waldron, Indiana. I got rid of all my Thompson Center guns because the parts were no longer available except for eBay. The prices were ridiculous! I started collecting older (pre-1990) CVAs. They usually have 1-66 round ball barrels. According to their 1990 catalog, 1-48 twist barrels were an accessory, except for the Squirrel and Frontier Carbine. The Stalker and Apollo rifles were 1-32.

I personally like the extra finger extension. It allows me to hold the gun more firmly against my shoulder.

The Mountain Rifle was the epitome of CVA's engineering. The best gun they ever made. I have never lifted a more balanced rifle to my shoulder.

The 32" barrel has a 1-66 twist which makes it highly accurate with a patched round ball (PBR).

When CVA went to producing in-lines only, they sold all their remaining inventory of parts to Deer Creek Products out of Waldron, Indiana. I got rid of all my Thompson Center guns because the parts were no longer available except for eBay. The prices were ridiculous! I started collecting older (pre-1990) CVAs. They usually have 1-66 round ball barrels. According to their 1990 catalog, 1-48 twist barrels were an accessory, except for the Squirrel and Frontier Carbine. The Stalker and Apollo rifles were 1-32.

I personally like the extra finger extension. It allows me to hold the gun more firmly against my shoulder.
BP Addict, So I guess that the CVA parts are more available, and at cheaper prices?

I'm in total agreement about the CVA Mountain Rifle.

Latest posts

Back