New to Smokeless ---

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAUDY1962

Reaction score
Hello All, I have really went down the rabbit hole. Looking at trying my first smokeless. What would be the best starter rifle for smokeless. Was looking at the Remington 700 ML but wanted so input. Thanks.

Remington 700 barrel nut rig from either Arrowhead or Hankins about a 15 minute build ,pull the barrel off your 700 action screw the new barrel on, headspace the module ready to go several times I've put rifles together and been shooting them 2 hours later. There are other options, like the Omega and Woodman arms. The 45-70 CVA conversions are very practical for beginning smokeless too. You really have a lot of options just about any bolt action rifle could be made into a smokeless muzzleloader. The 700 ml will require a gunsmith most likely and a rebuilt Bolt the 700 short action or even a 700 long action just needs a new Barrel,, I've been thinking about building one on a 98 Mauser just because I love Mausers and I've had a couple of mini howa actions that really turned out very well,, they were originally 6.5 grendels Hankins cut me some modules with a PPC both face and I put the guns together and headed down the road. All smokeless rigs of course shoot all the sub powders and black horn well,,,,, what has welded me and grounded me to smokeless rifles is just this one aspect ,,,accuracy,, I maintain a 45 smokeless rifle built right is consistently one of the most accurate rifles on planet Earth

IF you already have the 700ml action it is a good foundation. I picked one up put the Arrowhead bolt nose kit on it and sent the barreled action off to McGowen with Arrowheads 209 plug. I am under 1k into the gun, I havn't gotten to play with it much but so far I am very impressed with the accuracy I am getting with it and Fury sized to bore bullets.

Latest posts

Back