Newbie and Questions/Recommendations -CVA Wolf

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenpoint

Reaction score
Hi All-

Im new here and to muzzleloading as well. I bought a CVA Wolf Magnum yesterday and will take it to the range to sight it in this weekend.

I purchased Powerbelt hollowpoint 295gr bullets and 777 50gr and 30gr pellets to get started with.

Any recommendations on load combinations? Is the 295gr bullet too heavy? Is 245gr better?

I will be hunting whitetail mostly and would like to sight it in to 100 yards.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

You can try the 295gr Powderbelts and I certainly wouldn't go any lighter with a .50cal conical bullet such as this. I'd also pick up a box of 250gr Shockwaves. The one CVA Wolf I have shot really shot great with the Shockwave with 80gr ffg Triple Se7en loose. Two pellets is about equal to that powder charge so that's what I'd start with. Be sure to swab with a spitpatch especially when using the Shockwave.

Welcome to the forum. It's great to have you here.

I helped a friends son sight in a Beartooth Magnum (CVA Wolf) a few years ago. We found with 80 grains of Triple Se7en 2f that it shot the 245 grain Powerbelts excellent. Actually kind of impressive as I remember. It also shot the 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's with very good accuracy. Again with 80 grains of loose powder.

He shot a deer that year at 30 yards with the Powerbelt and dropped her where she stood. It was not a great looking rifle, but it shot well. And was pretty well balanced too.

Keep the charges low when shooting powerbelts. You will get better expansion and less fragmentation. Good luck with your new rifle...

Tenpoint

First off I would like to welcome you to the forum, You will find some of the best guys here that you will ever talk to we will try our best to give you the most accurate Info that we can.
Not every one agrees on every thing but that is OK that just means we are not programed like machines or being payed by indorsments from the companys like the reps or your socalled pros.

CONGRATS on the new SMOKER I have read alot of pretty good things on the WOLF. Another bullet you may want to try is the SABER - TOOTH BY HARVESTER my wife shoots the 270 gr saber tooth and I can say it is very accurate and it dose a fine job on whitetails also they look a lot like the power belts but I belive they are a lot toughfer bullet than the P B and they are almost half the cost of P B .

GOOD LUCK & SAFE SHOOTING

RON G.

Wolf

I have the wolf scoped and just upgraded. to a Pro Encore. The Wolf is a great little carry gun in the brush. I shot 83 grains loose triple 7 and the platinum 295 PB. I found if you push that gun to much the bullets (power belts at least)will tumble. I also found that cleaning after every shot is a must!! Spit patch, but also look in this forum for some good wet patch recipes that would work i beleive better than spit. I'm saying the Wolf loaded up w/ crud quickly and cleaning a must. I also replaced the breech plug every year (personal thing on that gun). Beyond 100 yards I had some issuews w/ accuracy no matter what I used. Killed a lot of deer with it and it got me wondering what else is out there in the inline world to play with in the field and range. Have fun and hunt safe!

Thank you all for the advice, I am going to the range tomorrow with a few different options, I will let you all know how I make out. The CT smokepole season starts next wednesday, I am hoping to get a shot at the buck that I missed with the rifle yesterday!!!

Tenpoint

GOOD LUCK I HOPE YOU RATTLE HIS CAGE ( RIB CAGE THAT IS )

our MUZZY season starts DEC. 8th

RON G.

Hey all-

Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I ended up going with 100gr of 777 and a 245gr Powerbelt. I was shooting nice groups at 100yrds at the range.

On opening day of MZ season here in CT, had a yote come in early she stopped to relieve herself, her head has blocked by a small tree about 40 yards away. I promptly put a round in the tree!!! Oh well. I saw no shootable deer that day.

On saturday we had about an inch of fresh snow on the ground and decided to hunt a different but promising location. I had jumped several deer there a few weeks ago during shotgun season.

I was all setup in my climber at 6:20am, 15minutes before legal shooting time. The woods were peaceful, a great place to be as the sun started to light up the sky.

The squirrels started moving around 6:30 and I am feeling really good about my chances of seeing a deer this morning. At about 7:00 I look behind me and to my right and see movement, it is not just one deer it is 6 about 150yds away and headed straight for a great shot opening.

The disappear in a little gulley for what seemed like eternity, when in reality it was only a minute or so. The first of the deer, a mature doe (I saw no bucks in the group) gets to a good shot opening. The hammer is cocked and I settle scope on her and grunt to get her to stop, she ignores the grunt and keeps feeding slowly. I decide to wait until she gets to the next shot opening rather than try to take one of the others. She gets to the next shot opening about 60 yards away and stops, I settle the crosshairs on her shoulder and fire. Holy S**t, there's alot of smoke and I have to wait for the smoke to clear. I look in the direction of the shot and I see her drop in her tracks and bearly move again. I am ecstatic!!! I stood up in my stand and did a little dance. Game Over and it is not even 7:30 yet!!!!!!!!

There was no exit wound on the shot but I was not able to recover the bullet, it when in on an angle just in front of her shoulder and I found where it shattered the ribs on the other side but no sign of it. Maybe the butcher will find it when he does his thing!

What a great day!!

Thanks for all the advice!!! Can't wait to get out again at the end of the week!!! :lol:

Thanks Ron! Unfortunately I was too excited to take pics, sorry about that. I dont get excited about does anymore so I dont think of taking pics, in hindsight would have been nice to post pics of the entrance and the damage the powerbelt did.

When I dressed the animal, I did notice that one of the lungs and part of the heart were non-exisistant. That is what the hp powerbelt is suppose to do!!!

Jon

Doe Ball

Great Job on that doe. I still get cranked up seeing deer out of my stands period. Clean that Wolfie good and safe hunting!

Latest posts

Back