Newbie needs suggestions and recommendations please!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davehaze

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to muzzleloading and have some questions and hope that you guys can offer some advice. I have ordered a Knight KRB7 50 caliber rolling block muzzleloader but I don't know what bullets or powder to use and what other accessories such as cleaning stuff is needed. I will be using it in Colorado so the bullets need to be lead conicals from what I gather and I want to hunt elk and mule deer with it so what size (grain weight) lead conical would ya'll suggest that would do the job? I would like to work up just one load that will work on either elk or deer. From reading here and there it seems there are different diameter 50 cal lead conicals which is a bit confusing. Also it seems that triple 7 loose powder is a favorite but there is a ffg and a fffg version which is also confusing to a newbie. What stuff cleaning kit wise do I need to keep the gun clean? Thanks for any advice and suggestions!

davehaze said:
Hi, I am new to muzzleloading and have some questions and hope that you guys can offer some advice. I have ordered a Knight KRB7 50 caliber rolling block muzzleloader but I don't know what bullets or powder to use and what other accessories such as cleaning stuff is needed. I will be using it in Colorado so the bullets need to be lead conicals from what I gather and I want to hunt elk and mule deer with it so what size (grain weight) lead conical would ya'll suggest that would do the job? I would like to work up just one load that will work on either elk or deer. From reading here and there it seems there are different diameter 50 cal lead conicals which is a bit confusing. Also it seems that triple 7 loose powder is a favorite but there is a ffg and a fffg version which is also confusing to a newbie. What stuff cleaning kit wise do I need to keep the gun clean? Thanks for any advice and suggestions!

You picked a rifle that has had my interest for some time. I will be watching your posts as to how well it shoots. If the rifle were at my house I would be trying some Bull Shop conicals.

http://bullshop.gunloads.com/prices.html With a .50 caliber I would look at the UC Shorts, 460 gr Bull Shop, and the 500 grain NEI conicals. All of them are legal in Colorado. All of them will get the job done. I would start out with 70 grains of Triple Se7en 3f and then start pushing the conical to as far as accuracy would permit. If I could get that conical at 100 grains, I think you would have an excellent load there.

You might want to slug your bore and order the conicals to the size or .05 bigger then the bore. For instance my Knight Disc is .502 and I shoot a .503 diameter out of it that I make. Another good conical out there is the No Excuses conical. Order them in .503.

A good primer is the Remington Kleenbore Primers. A good powder is loose Triple Se7en 3f when shooting conicals or Swiss 3f black powder. A good loading measure will be needed. A loading jag. Some brass bore brushed for cleaning the rifle. A short starter. Cleaning patches. Bore solvent. Gun Oil. A tube of bore butter in case you need extra on a conical. Primer capper and decapper if your rifle needs such things.

And I am sure I missed a lot of things but might think of them later. Keep us posted as to how your rifle shoots. I might have to buy one of them yet.

Also Dave ... welcome to the forum. Its good to have you here.

:D Davehaze
First off I would like to welcome you to the forum it is great to have you here with us , and we will do anything we can to help out.

Your question is just up my ally I just bought a KRB7 SS barrle w/ black comp. stock, I bought this gun just for Conicals and I have to say that I am very impressed with it and how it shoots BIG LEAD CONICALS.
I am shooting 85gr of 2fg 777 loose powder , Winchester 777 primers and shooting the Bull Shop Conicals, I can shoot a .75" to 1.5" group at 100yds consistantly every day all day long.
The bullets that I shoot is the UC shorts 443gr , and the NEX 460gr in a .504 I also use a over the powder wad .
The UC shorts and NEX shoot just about through the same holes if you look back on page 2-3-4-5 in the Inline section of the forum you will see my 2 range reports one has PIC of a target I shot with these bullets and the bulls eye is only 2.25" in diam. so this will give you a good idea of what these guns are capable of

www.bullshop.gunloads.com :yeah:
Tell Dan that Ron Goldman Sent you

Lungbuster1
Ron g.

Thanks for your help, I cant seem to find some of those bullets that were recommended using a Google search. Do ya'll have the websites handy? Can someone explain how one cleans a muzzleloader after shooting and with what? Thanks again!

Davehaze

Have you gotten your gun yet? The first thing you will need to do is what is called slug the barrlel , to do this you will need to remove the breech plug get your self a egg sinker like for fishing one that is just a bit largger than the bore of your gun and drive it down through your barrle all the way out the breech end , then take a pair of calipers and measure the egg sinker at the center and this will give you a inside bore Diam. of your barrle, sents there is no standard for ML your have to mesure the bore so you will get the best possable fit for a bullet. ( very important )
I would say that your KRB is going to be .503 or .504 because Green Mountain Barrles hold pretty close from one to the next.
When ordering custom cast bullets from BullShop you will order by type and size Example ( Dan this order is for 100 - NEX 460 in .504 )

Bullshops web sight---- www.bullshop.gunloads.com

you will have to E-mail dan with your order from his contact page on his websight or if you want to call him remember that he is 2-3 hours diff in time than you and the best time to get ahold of him would be around 6pm his time.

I just receved 400 of the NEX 460gr from dan Yesterday and sent off a payment also yesterday for 400 of the UC shorts 443gr .

For the 400 bullets with shipping it was 113.50 thats about 28.95 per 100
bullets 13.50 for shipping.

Tell dan that Ron Goldman from INDIANA sent YA.

Ron G
LB1

AS far as cleaning supplys you will need

A good bore cleaner/scrubber
Brass wire brush
a good gun oil like Rem oil
cleanning patches
cleanning jag
Pipe cleaners
med bris. toothbrush
91% Iso. Alco.

Stay away from BoreButter it will rust your barrle and #13 cleaner by TC

I will PM you my cleaning PROCESS I have been useing this pro. for about
29 yrs. and have yet to have a probblem .

Ron G.

Also to find other one go under your google search and type in
custom cast bullets

but as far as Quality and cost you won't beat bullshop

bullshop.jpg

The UC Shorts
leboolit.gif

Bull Shop has the mold to make the Shorts. Sorry for the fuzzy pics.

Also, for subs - Bull Shop's #2 lube is fine, for real black you might ask for his Speed Green lube.

Thanks for all the help, it's been invaluable and I really appreciate it. Should get the gun in a week or so and try it out.

My gun came in yesterday and I got to shoot it a bit. I had some T/C maxi hunter 350 grain conicals and they seemed to do ok but definitely felt a bit loose in the bore but since I had no other bullets and that this was the first time to shoot a muzzleloader I don't have any experience to base this upon but a friend of mine did mike the bullet diameter and it was about .503. I am going to order some UC Shorts 443 grain bullets in .504 diameter and see how they shoot. I shot it with 85 and 90 grains(by weight) of triple seven fffg powder and recoil was not bad. When you guys work up loads and post them here and mention the powder charge are ya'll talking about a volume or weight measure? I bought a powder measure, a little brass thingy with a spout and sliding rod but I first weighed the powder and 90 grains of powder by weight is more than 90 grains by volume of the little brass powder measure so what to go by? Weight or volume? Ron, you mentioned an over the powder wad when using the .504 bullets and I was wondering what is that and would I need to do the same if shooting the .504 bullets? I am very impressed with the gun, it has a stainless steel barrel and reciever in a black composite stock. Never had any experience with a muzzleloader and was a bit apprehensive at first but the gun is so simple to take apart and clean and easy to load. The rolling block action is a bit stiff but is loosening up as I shoot it but it is really not an issue. Overall I really like it and can see how this can be a bit addictive. It shoots well I'm sure, I am the limiting factor with open sights because my eyes are not the best but I do plan on getting a rear peep sight to help me out a bit. Thanks for all ya'lls help!

davehaze

Congrats on the new KRB thats Awsome !!!!!

When we are talking about a powder charge it is by Volume.
and as far as the over the powder wad you don't have to use one , it is just I prefurrrrr to use one that way I know that there is no blowby and I am not looseing any Velocity preshure and also it will clear out any leading that may ocurr by bushing a conical to fast and hard.
I have always used a felt wad when shooting conicals but Underclocked turned me on to the cut paper wad from TRACK OF THE WOLF and I liked them better alot tighter fit with these.
They are a .510 wad and work great , Go to

www.trackofthewolf.com

Go under wads at the top of the page then scroll down to the .510B
they are $7.50 per 1000 . with shipping they run just under $10.00 per 1000 I bought 2 bages for just under $20.00

I guess I was shooting a pretty hot load at 90 grains (by weight) since it filled up the entire brass powder measure which indicated 120! I backed it down to 80 grains (by weight) and the bullets grouped noticeably better at 100 yards. When I get those UC Shorts in I will try some more and see how it goes and by then I should have a peep sight installed which should help even more.

Dave

When you get your UC Shorts start with 75gr or 80gr BY Volume and see how that does then you can work your way up 5gr at a time till they start to tighten up.

I have a question for ya'll, when I load one of those T/C Maxi Hunter 350 grain conicals I notice about 2/3 down the barrel that it gets harder (not real hard mind you but noticeably different) to push the bullet with the ram rod for a short stretch of the barrel length then becomes easier again to push the bullet as it was at first. Is this normal or should I be concerned about this? Seems like the barrel bore is smaller in diameter in one stretch of the barrel. I don't see it causing too much problems with accuracy as the gun seems to groups well.....for me with open sights and poor eyes. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Latest posts

Back