Newest original rifle in my collection...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyinEverson

Reaction score
So This summer I traded a original "Ohio" rifle for this rifle.
It is a St. Louis Marked "Plains" rifle. Circa 1850 or so...
On the left barrel flat near the breech is the mark : St. Louis
On the bottom barrel flat is the name "Seiferth" along with the "Christian" fish symbol and a series of dots.
.50 caliber with a 33 inch barrel.
Walnut stock with brass inlays and gold bands near the breech.
Rifled with a slow twist of about 1-56 or so...
Back action lock.
Thanks for looking!
Andy
dsc06610.jpg

It's really rare to find an original in that condition.

Will this be a shooter or a safe queen, wall hanger?

The builder did a fine job on those inlays.

If I had it and it were a shooter I'd try for a deer with it.

I'd grab one in a heartbeat if I found one like that.

Good find indeed.

Thanks guys ... it will be a shooter , once I find a good load for it.
I have shot it this summer , after taking it apart , checking out the stock , the breech plug bore etc...
Here are a few more of mine.
A friend of mine and I have a collection of antiques we display and show.. usually at a local rendezvous  and at the 1838 Rendezvous and The Museum of the Mountain Man.
Andy
dsc05415.jpg

Thanks guys!
We have fun showing and displaying our collection ... Kinda fun handing someone a rifle from 1780 on and talking about it with them.

As for the dog ... He belongs to a visitor and hung out for awhile...He is one of those "Watch Dogs" ... He watches everything , then takes a nap... :D
Andy

AndyinEverson said:
Thanks guys ... it will be a shooter , once I find a good load for it.
I have shot it this summer , after taking it apart , checking out the stock , the breech plug bore etc...
Here are a few more of mine.
A friend of mine and I have a collection of antiques we display and show.. usually at a local rendezvous  and at the 1838 Rendezvous and The Museum of the Mountain Man.
Andy
dsc05415.jpg
Interesting 2nd smoker from the right with the flat butt plate.

That is a Parker Field Northwest Trade gun circa 1834... Cool gun and shoots well.
It has been converted to percussion. ( original period of use)
Was restocked by me ... Original stock too rotted or missing to be of use
Here is a close up of the lock.
Andy
p1110010.jpg

What a fantastic group of originals!
I love to hold history in my hands.
How do you safely transport the rifles  Do you have a rack that sits on the bed of your vehicle?
Thanks,
Ron

A sliding draw in the bed of my friends truck ... we just got it this year.
Otherwise just a good wrap in a padded case and careful stacking has done pretty good in keeping the dents and dings down.

Most dents and dings have come when showing the guns off.
Most folks haven't handled a gun that long or at times that heavy as many muzzle loaders can be...And "Clunk" goes the gun.

Since these guns are a hands on and some we even shoot ... its not too bad to hear a clunk ... but still nothing I like to hear on a regular basis...

For fixing the "clunk" we try to use a period type fix if possible ... You might be surprised at how durable and fixable a original oil finish can be.
Andy

Back