St. Louis Plains Rifle...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyinEverson

Reaction score
Here is a new to me original St. Louis marked plains rifle.
Back Action Lock
.50 caliber rifled with a progressive twist.
Gold bands at the breach
Walnut stock , brass cap box and wear plate.
F. Seiferth was the maker circa 1850 or so.
My load is 50 grains of 2F .15 patch and a .490 round ball.
Andy
dsc06613.jpg
dsc06613.jpg

That's a beauty alright. Sweet!

That's not a hunting load is it? Squirrels?

Progressive twist ( or "Gain twist " ) is when the twist rate is less at the breech and more towards the muzzle
Original Colt Cap and Ball revolvers used progressive twist.

50 grains is my all around shooting charge...that said I would use it on deer.
Many of the original chargers that I have seen with "Plains rifles" have been in the 50-70 grain "weight range".
Seeing as how this is an original rifle of the 1850's ...I plan on keeping the pressure down as far as shooting goes..so the old rule of thumb of one grain for caliber works when shooting originals.
Andy

do you know the gain twist rate. what is it when it starts and when it finishes? i have a 45/70. american made,gain twist. it is a tackdriver with paperpatched bullets.

AndyinEverson said:
dsc05411.jpg

I do have a few more originals that I do show off and shoot...
Andy
thats quite the collection!

One thing that always makes me smile is being able to spot a trade gun in a crowd like that lol. The butt plates are such give aways.

Thank you...
the trade gun is a Parker Field from 1834...at some point it was converted from flint to percussion.
I take my collection to various museums and rendezvous for a hands on show and tell...
I'll talk about fur trade history and the guns...have folks pick 'em up and even shoot 'em...well some anyways...
Andy

Thats a super nice collection. I have looked at the picture several times. I wish I could run across you at a rondyvue and hold a few of your guns.

At the end of the month I am going to maryland to visit my son. At first we were going to drive and I was planning to stop at Dixie gun works and get an eyeful of old guns buts thats not going to happen now. I may make a special trip just to say I went.

I am curious. Where do you find your guns at? I am on the lookout for BP rifles all the time but never see old original guns for sale.

I hope you have a fun and safe trip Burlesontom...!
As for the finding of old guns...
We have a large blackpowder only gun show that I go to...I have found and bought / traded for guns there...
The GunWorks in Springfield Or. and The Antique Gun Shoppe in Post Falls Id , always has plenty of antique guns for sale ...often at the price of a not quite so correct new made replica....
More that a few of mine have come from folks just knowing that I like "those old guns..."
Some have been junkers....and after lots of research , have been restored....
Andy

Latest posts

Back