Nikon Prostaff

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
I just picked up a brand new Nikon Prostaff 4-12X40 at Cabelas the other day, gotta say I was thoroughly impressed with it’s Clarity, It was in the Bargain Cave due to not having a Box, never been mounted, i got the scope for 70 bucks. I can’t remember ever owning a Nikon? The only experience I remember wasn’t very good, it was a friend that had me mount it for him, i used a wheeler torque wrench to specified torque setting (15-20 inch pounds if I remember correctly?) a few months later he sold the rifle and kept the scope, he had me remove the scope for him, after removal I noticed the tube was slightly dented from the rings? I have owned MANY MANY leupolds over the years and Not once have i ever seen a dented tube from scope rings. That experience kinda set me toward disliking Nikon, But after playing with this Prostaff the other day i was so impressed with it’s Clarity, and at 70 bucks I didn’t feel i could go wrong. I bought a set of Burris Signature series rings and the offset insert kit for Cushion against the Tube and being able to correct Large windage with the inserts instead of the Scope itself, Hopefully all goes well and i have no issues with the setup. Any of you have experience with the Prostaff Scopes? Likes, dislikes?

I have a couple Prostaff scopes on my Whites, both .451 caliber. So far not a problem with those large conicals 488gr. with 80gr. T73Fg. I also like the clear glass an toughness of the scopes. I use Warne bases an QR mounts. I took one off the Super 91 to clean an the scope was still dead on, comfirmed at the range. You got a heck of a deal!!

I've been buying the 2x7x32's for my muzzies and have been more than happy with them. Much better clarity than my older VX1 Leupolds.

The Clarity of this Nikon Prostaff is absolutely amazing, Sharp Crystal clear image. I am impressed with it! This scope has the BDC reticle (not sure how much like that?) I need to get out and shoot it before i can make a judgement on the BDC reticle, the good part is i don’t have to use it, but if i decide i like it it’s there. I understand the Reticle goes off power setting, Same as my old Zeiss With Rapid Z800 Reticle. Nikon has a Ballistic program called SpotOn, i played with numbers on it the other day for my 6.5 Creedmoor, Looking forward to playing with it when the weather gets better.

I agree, Nikon's PROSTAFF scope's give you a lot of great feature's for the price and best of all they have Nikon's No Fault Warranty. I put a 4-12 on a buddies 50bmg years ago after he told me it eat's scopes. I paid $60 for 10 shots and no issues. 3 shots to get near bulls eye and then 7 all near each other so no issues holding zero eaither. I do like my In-line scope's from Nikon. 5 inches of eye relief which is more then plenty for me and my .50. I took my first ML deer this year and it was exciting! Luckily I had someone with me to spot since I couldnt see a thing after pulling the trigger.

Nikon has a new line of scopes this year built on the PROSTAFF gl;ass platform. The P-Tactical. All aluminum, no plastic except at the eye piece. Diffferent reticle option's as well, BDC and MOA. I checked them out at SHOT Show and I was impressed.

Everybody has a preference. I have one Nikon Monarch I got with a rifle purchase. Neither I nor my uncle were impressed with it, I did not think the optics were anything special at all. Maybe I have a bad one.

jims said:
Everybody has a preference. I have one Nikon Monarch I got with a rifle purchase. Neither I nor my uncle were impressed with it, I did not think the optics were anything special at all. Maybe I have a bad one.

Like i stated earlier, The only experience i have had with a Nikon other than this Pro Staff wasn’t that great, I believe it was a Monarch? The tube actually dented, and that was using a Wheeler torque wrench set to manufacture recommended torque setting. All i can say about this Pro Staff is so far i am EXTREMELY impressed with the Clarity!! (No idea on durability yet?) I have owned a truck load of Leupold scopes (i went through a BUNCH of them over the years, buy, sell, and trade) from their lowest end to their highest end and this Nikon is EVERY bit as clear as any of the NUMEROUS Leupolds I’ve owned over the years, the only other high end Scope i had to compare was a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44 with Rapid Z800 Reticle, While it was a SUPER nice scope, it had NOTHING on this darn Nikon for Clarity. If this Nikon holds up well i will be extremely pleased with it. The BDC reticle might take some time to grow on me? I’m not super impressed with it, but I haven’t actually tried it yet, so kinda unfair to make a judgment on the BDC reticle yet

I can assure the BDC reticle will work for you. My son and I were hog hunting this past weekend and I used the BDC reticle to drop a 50 pounnder in his tracks with a 187 sub-sonic projectile. Just takes a little range time to get used to trusting the aiming circles. My son took 1 hog at just over 300 yards using a .223 and a 1-4 power scope. My eye's just won't let me make shot's like that any more.
Check out Spot On and drop me a note if you have any question's.

bman940 said:
I can assure the BDC reticle will work for you. My son and I were hog hunting this past weekend and I used the BDC reticle to drop a 50 pounnder in his tracks with a 187 sub-sonic projectile. Just takes a little range time to get used to trusting the aiming circles. My son took 1 hog at just over 300 yards using a .223 and a 1-4 power scope. My eye's just won't let me make shot's like that any more.
Check out Spot On and drop me a note if you have any question's.

I’m sure the BDC will work as advertised, i am familiar with the way they work. I had a Zeiss with Rapid Z800 Reticle that worked off the same principle, By typing in your Ballistics in the Zeiss Calculator it showed you the optimum power setting to use in order to make everything line up. That part i am ok with, the thing I’m not so sure about is the little circles that Nikon uses, I prefer a point/crosshair etc. to hold dead on what i want to hit, instead of centering a little circle. Time will tell, I haven’t had a chance to get it out and play with it at distances to see what i think of the circles? It’s close tho! I’m putting the rifle together now :yeah:

I understand and I hear that a lot. That being said I have ussed those circles to hit 4 inch jar's of tannerite and soda can's at 600+ yards with stock rifles dialed in with Spot On. I hope you will be pleasantly pleased with the results. I look forward to hearing how it all comes together for you.

I have a 3-9x40 prostaff on a 22 mag. Its very clear and does a fine job for what it costs

Agreed, at the end of the day, what you can justify spending on an optic has something to do with how happy you are. I have given up buying something less than what I want and having regrets. That being said, I have 3-4 Nikon PROSTAFF scopes at different levels and have zero complaints about the way any of them function. I am a BDC fan, my choice and I know how to get the best results when I do use it. You have to pick what works for your needs and live with it. If I can help you out with any Nikon question's you might have, drop me a note.

I don't know the grades of Nikons vs leupolds but I have a pair of Monarch5 binos. I absolutely love em. Boy at work bought a pair and tested em against a pair of zeiss ones in low light. Had a guy stand at 100yds and hold up fingers. The zeiss let him see maybe 3 minutes longer. I can see game with my binos long after I can with my zeiss conquest scope or my vx3 leupold

phoenman said:
I don't know the grades of Nikons vs leupolds but I have a pair of Monarch5 binos. I absolutely love em. Boy at work bought a pair and tested em against a pair of zeiss ones in low light. Had a guy stand at 100yds and hold up fingers. The zeiss let him see maybe 3 minutes longer. I can see game with my binos long after I can with my zeiss conquest scope or my vx3 leupold

So far i am VERY pleased with this Nikon! :yeah:

I bought a Nikon Prostaff 2X7X40 several years ago to put on my TC Impact and love the scope. Been a bunch of deer felled with this set-up.

Back