No Excuse 460

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gesthuntn

Reaction score
What would the trajectory of a 460 be if loaded with 80 grains of Black MZ power and sighted at 25 yards shot out of a Pedersoli Hawken Hunter

The trajectory should be straight away from you!

In all seriousness, it depends on the muzzle velocity of your particular rifle. (2) identical rifles will for whatever reason (bore condition, patch type, lube, etc.) Fire at different rates of speed. Once you know that, I just plug it into the calculator...

If you do not have access to a chronograph, post up the details of your load components including what cap type and brand you use. If someone on here has similar stuff, they could ballpark the velocity. It is all down hill from there! (Pun intended)

As a side note, something else you can do if you do not have a chronograph (as I do not) is head to the range.

Use a tall pice of cardboard and put your target in the 1/2 to 2/3rds way up.
Shoot 3x at 25 yds and mark them.
Move out to 50, 75, 100 and repeat at all distances.

This is what I do. If you run off a calculator, it will get close but you still have to confirm the info is correct!

Why not just shoot it and find out, doesnt matter what a chart or we says its just ball park anyway every gun is different. If your going to be shooting at anything alive then no sense asking because you owe it to the animal to see what your rifle really does.

What would the trajectory of a 460 be if loaded with 80 grains of Black MZ power and sighted at 25 yards shot out of a Pedersoli Hawken Hunter

Not much for me to add other than I am shooting a 458 gr bullet my self. I am using an adjustable peep sight. So I sighted in my rifle every 50 yard increments out to 300 yards. Then I shot those sight in's multiple times before I trusted them.
If you do that you will learn the load and you will be ultimately be more accurate and successful with the gun.

I have to agree with Dean and Ron that you should shoot your gun with a particular load at different distances so your confident that your going to hit what your aiming at. Some mark there sights and adjust them accordingly, myself I've actually taped a copy of my own proven trajectory on the stock so I knew how to aim at that particular target of animal.

I don't shoot the longer distances that some of you do out west. I've take 1 whitetail at 169 yards, 2 at 150 yards and I dont know how many between 100 - 125 yards and of course quite a few under a 100. I've followed Doc Whites advice for years where he recommends sighting your muzzleloader in @ 125 yards so if your shooting at deer size game you don't really have to put a lot of thought into 0 -150 yard shots.

Back