No excuse bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rlsmith

Reaction score
No excuse bullets does any one shoot these in their side locks. Just order some for my pedersoli traditional hawken the ones sized .503 is to big talked to Dave he said use .500 thoughts ?

Rlsmith said:
No excuse bullets does any one shoot these in their side locks. Just order some for my pedersoli traditional hawken the ones sized .503 is to big talked to Dave he said use .500 thoughts ?

I have no experience with these bullets. But Fit Really depends on your particular bore, I’m gonna bet the .500s will be loose unless your bore is .499? I have found 2s to work best for me, examples being for .45 Cal i like .452, For .50 Cal .502, and .54 Cal i like .542

What i did was take undersize sizer dies and slowly opened them til i got the fit i wanted. I found the perfect fit for me is the numbers i mention above. At .450 the bullets would literally free fall down my .45 bores, but at .452 they snugged up good and held nice n tight all the way to the powder, Same exact thing with .50 and .54 Cal, But again this all boils down to your Particular Bore

I have some at .503 they won't even start in the Pedersoli so that is why I ask Dave he is the one that said get the .500 because of Pedersoli tight bore.

Rlsmith said:
I have some at .503 they won't even start in the Pedersoli so that is why I ask Dave he is the one that said get the .500 because of Pedersoli tight bore.

Then you will probably be fine with the .500, I know it’s a VERY fine line, 1 thou makes a big difference. Personally i would get a cheap Lee .501 Sizer and run the .503s thru it, if your bore is .499 or .500 the .501s would load good

Rlsmith said:
Thank you for the reply. I would like to hunt with them

The No Excuse bullets look great and I’m sure they will do good. Another REALLY good bullet you might think about is the Bullshop .504~460 In my opinion they are TOUGH to beat! I liked them well enough to have a mold made

This is what inspired me to have the mold made
hLlC7bW.jpg

Original Bullshop Bullets, I shot the 3 shot group above and sent the other 1 to Accurate molds and had a mold made
Q9Kmoj5.jpg

The Bullshop bullets are intentionally BIG, the bottom 2 bands are .504, 3rd band is .506, and the top band is .507-.508, In my opinion they are an ideal hunting bullet, they obviously require a short starter, and a steady push on the ramrod to the powder, Once seated These bullets will NOT budge off the powder charge til you pull the trigger. With a slip fit bullet one needs to keep in mind if that bullet slides off the powder charge and you shoot it, there is a REALLY good chance that you will ‘Ring’ Your barrel, Then you have crappy fence post

Depending on these .500 No excuse bullets fit to your bore, I stil say you can’t go wrong with the 20 dollar Lee .501 Sizer, With the .501 sizer you could push the .503s thru it, if you decide to try the Bullshop bullets down the road and feel they load to tight? Send them through the .501, that’ll take most of the fight out of em! Lube them well before sending them through the sizer and you have a completed bullet, lubed, sized, and ready to shoot. The .501 Sizer is a Sore Peter deal anyway you look at it

I use Slip Fit’ bullets for bench/Target shooting and nothing beats them for that purpose! But i want my hunting bullet seated Good n SOLID on the powder charge

I've tried to find the Lee 501 sizer die can't seem to find it do you know where I might find one

Rlsmith said:
I've tried to find the Lee 501 sizer die can't seem to find it do you know where I might find one

Rlsmith, I got mine from F&S Reloading, i think it was 24 dollars shipped to me. You can find them all over ebay as well, Midway USA, And many others. They are super common, the Lee .501 is a Standard sizer and readily available.

Back