No Excuses load recommendation

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muley Hunter said:
Not sure we're on the same wave length. You're saying you recovered some of them because you practice a lot. I'm saying you recovered them because they didn't pass through. I'm talking about terminal performance and you're talking about hitting the target.

When you have both you have a dead critter. :D
No , I am saying I recovered some because they were shot at a target with sand behind it not because I practice a lot .

I only recovered 2 in animals , One was an elk that even though the bullet didn’t exit, the elk went only a few feet .

Muley Hunter said:
That's an eye opener. I would have thought the NoExcuses would have flattened out like the others.
Ed and I are pretty confident our bullets are pure/dead soft lead, Art's note to Ron on the test stated 'pretty soft'.
The test results show something is not right with the hardness of the NoEx.

1874sharpsshooter said:
Muley Hunter said:
Not sure we're on the same wave length. You're saying you recovered some of them because you practice a lot. I'm saying you recovered them because they didn't pass through. I'm talking about terminal performance and you're talking about hitting the target.

When you have both you have a dead critter. :D
No , I am saying I recovered some because they were shot at a target with sand behind it not because I practice a lot .

I only recovered 2 in animals , One was an elk that even though the bullet didn’t exit, the elk went only a few feet .

Oh ok. That makes more sense now.

I just ordered some 420gr in .504. I want to try the tighter fit and a bit less recoil. If they work out they'll be two packs of Barnes 290gr T-EZ for sale.

52Bore said:
Muley Hunter said:
That's an eye opener. I would have thought the NoExcuses would have flattened out like the others.
Ed and I are pretty confident our bullets are pure/dead soft lead, Art's note to Ron on the test stated 'pretty soft'.
The test results show something is not right with the hardness of the NoEx.
I hate to say mine is pure because you never know positively without testing. For all practical purposes it is pure/dead soft lead though. It is soft to the finger nail and the ingots go thud on the concrete floor, not clang. :mrgreen:

Hornet22savage said:
Went out Sunday and left my powder at home. Weather is better this week maybe I can get out after work.

Don’t feel bad, I actually left my Rifle at home one time, luckily i caught it about 2-3 miles from home. When i sit down in my truck i start looking things over REALL good, there’s a good chance I’ve forgotten something! :lol: It takes a lot of gear to Shoot these old Smoker poles

I have some of the new 420gr coming. Do you guys think they'll work in a 1-28 twist? I can't remember ever shooting that combo before.

How about the lube he uses with BH? I believe he makes the lube to work with BP, Pyro etc. Anybody use it with BH? I've always used NoExcuses with real BP.

Muley Hunter said:
I have some of the new 420gr coming. Do you guys think they'll work in a 1-28 twist? I can't remember ever shooting that combo before.

How about the lube he uses with BH? I believe he makes the lube to work with BP, Pyro etc. Anybody use it with BH? I've always used NoExcuses with real BP.

I guess i'll be staying with the Barnes 290gr T-EZ. Disappointed in the NoExcuses. The .504 started to load harder but then were just as loose as the .503 in my bore. Too loose for BH 209. Does anybody want them?

try using a patch/paper patch for the conical that makes it more snug, that should work for BH209.

Muley Hunter said:
Muley Hunter said:

I guess i'll be staying with the Barnes 290gr T-EZ. Disappointed in the NoExcuses. The .504 started to load harder but then were just as loose as the .503 in my bore. Too loose for BH 209. Does anybody want them?

Muley Hunter said:
Muley Hunter said:

Sounds like you might have a little taper in your bore - try loading one for the breech and push it up the bore - that might tell you a bunch!

No, I don't Mike. It's just once the bullet is sized to the bore it falls to the breech plug. If I tip the barrel down it falls out the muzzle.

Muley Hunter said:
No, I don't Mike. It's just once the bullet is sized to the bore it falls to the breech plug. If I tip the barrel down it falls out the muzzle.

That is my point the top of your bore is tighter than the rest... I do not shoot a lot of lead conicals, but with Bull Shops, well acually any others, I have never experianced that problem.

Muley Hunter said:
Muley Hunter said:

This should solve that problem :yeah:

rJY612u.jpg

Muley Hunter said:
Muley Hunter said:

Pete, I have a bullet you are welcome to try, I had a Mold made from a Bullshop .504~460 Bullet that i sent Tom at Accurate molds. With my 40:1 Alloy these bullets hold the Bore Good n Tight!! :yeah: I have started Lubing and sizing them closer to .502 For easier loading, i can push them down with my Thumb, Once on the Ramrod they stay the same even pressure all the way to the Powder, This bullet has Large oversize bands, The Bottom 2 bands are .504, the 3rd band is .506, and the Top band is .508, With my 40:1 Alloy they are to stiff for my liking, but after being sized to .502 they are a DREAM in my Rifle! Soft lead is HORRIBLE about giving up halfway down the bore, and by the time you get to the powder they can end up unsafe loose in my opinion. I just went through this about a year or so ago, I started a thread about it way back in the Sidelock section. My fix was the 40:1 Alloy. I have given up on using Pure lead for this reason. 40:1 is not that Hard, When you cut the Sprue it stil slides like pure lead, Where say 20 and 30:1 will look more like a Tear/pull. This 40:1 will NOT give up halfway down the Bore like pure lead does

Let me know if you would like to try a Group of these, I’ll gladly send ya some to try :yeah: Here is the Bullet.

UdmtANm.jpg

Lewis.............I've also experienced the problem with pure lead conicals unless the bands are really oversize. The bullet you show is similar to the Great Plains bullet Hornady makes. It loads and stays tight in the bore.

I was curious about the NoExcuses in .504 but really didn't expect it to work for me. My bore is pretty straight. I had my gunsmith buddy check it out.

To be honest i'm not a big fan of lead conicals. They lead up the bore which is a pain. I'm pretty content with the Barnes 290gr T-EZ. They load with the same pressure from muzzle to breech plug. The recoil is much nicer too. I can also load and unload and they stay tight in the bore. Pushed fast enough they'll kill anything I hunt. I have to hunt the rifle seasons to be legal but that doesn't bother me. I can use my 1X scope and not get stopped like I would in the muzzy season. I have a handicap license that lets me use a scope in muzzy season but i've never used it. In rifle season I don't mind using it.

Thanks for the offer on the bullets bud. :yeah:

Back