nosler 300gr/black harverst crush sabot results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deer655

Reaction score
First off I am just a average shot at best. I shot my mk85 yesterday using a new bullet combo for this gun; 300 gr noslers and the harvester crush rib sabots. i was using a bench rest, the wind was about 20 mph. at 70 yards i was averaging 2 inch groups which for hunting is fine cause i dont take shots over a hundred yards. the first sabot that came out was almost still like it came out of the package but one petal had been stretched about 1/4 longer. the rest came out looking like perfect and the petals were totally laid; like they would of looked like if i had pushed the petals flat against a wall and they folded out. I assume this is what they should look like.I was using t7 also. what deformed the first sabot so bad, it was seated correctly. i tried different loads from 90 to 100gr. didnt matter,stayed right at 2 inch groups.i think this load went down my barrel as easily as powerbelts do.also what loads have other mk85 users found to be their most accurate.Thanks for all the help people here have been,

Knight mk 85 with 1in28 inch twist barrel. Topped with a Leupold vx2 3x9 scope. I load 95 grains (loose) 777 ffg and a 250 grain shockwave. I use #11 caps. Gun is sighted in approx. 3 inches high at a hundred which puts it dead on at 150 yds. It drops about 5 inches at 175 yds. I have it set up this way so from 0 to 175 yds. I just aim at the center of the kill zone. I use a range finder and shooting sticks when I am hunting. Taken several deer in Florida and Iowa with this set up.

90 gr FFg T7, 250 gr (.452) XTP, .50/.45 Harvester smooth black sabot, Knight red hot #11 nipple and Remington #11 cap (40% hotter ones)

Back