Oil

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gesthuntn

Reaction score
What do you use to oil after cleaning? And how do you remove before loading the gun again?

I use a patch of bore butter in the barrel. After a dry patch or two, they come out clean and white. Then its time to shoot. For exterior of barrel and all metal parts, I just use a patch with Rem Oil. I live in Arizona, so our humidity is extremely low 95% of the year.

Alcohol will cut the oil back out before you shoot. I just use denatured alcohol for this.
I've gone to using Barricade for storage, it dries to a protective film rather than staying oily. I will still cut it back out with denatured alcohol before heading to the range, but when I load up for hunting I just leave it in the bore, as I will leave it loaded for a while and I want the barrel protection.
I do notice it takes a bit more patches to get clean white patches after cleaning when I leave it in, but it's not too much difference.
If you use oil make sure to store the rifle barrel down so if there's excess none of it runs into the flame channel.
I've used bore butter for protectant, Hoppes gun oil, Ballistol, and now Barricade. The one and only time I've ever seen a bit of rust when checking the bore later on is when I had Ballistol in it.
It is possible that I didn't get the bore as dry as I thought, so Ballistol fans don't attack me. lol
Unless in a really humid area I think most anything works alright as long as you get the bore good and dry. That is the most important thing.
It's also a good idea to run a dry patch down them about a week after you have cleaned and then every month after that just to ensure all is fine.

Any good Quality Gun Oil. After all, They were designed to protect Steel :lewis: TC’s Bore Butter is the last thing i would EVER use in my Guns, or advise anyone to use

If i were back in the Market for a Gun oil, i would UNDOUBTEDLY go with this one. Eezox gets RAVE reviews, Even in Harsh, accelerated Saltwater tests.
https://www.amazon.com/Eezox-Premium-Synthetic-Gun-Care/dp/B07FCRVTDL

Whatever is close to hand. Mainly just motor oil or a “Zoom Spout Oiler” I believe it’s just a 30’weight or so general purpose oil.

I wonder how that Stihl 2 stroke synthetic would work as a bore oil? Ive read about guys using the Bel-ray 2 cycle synthetic.

Last edited:
Back