Ok, How About This?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
First, let me say i'll always prefer a sidelock with real black and a PRB. The problem is I bought the Wolf and I can't sell the blasted thing. No doubt due to the blued barrel. Inline guys want stainless or Nitride.

So, I have a plan. The Wolf is not a sidelock and I can't change that. However, I can get it as close to traditional as I can. First, i'll take off the scope and put a peep on it. It has a fiber optic front sight. Too hard to change that, so i'll paint the optic white. Something I always did on my sidelocks. So, that's the sights and my bad vision be damned! I'll get even closer.

Next, the load. I can't shoot a PRB in a 1-28 twist. So, i'll use an all lead conical. I have some NoExcuses 420 gr that fit the bore real good. I'll switch from BH 209 to Goex 2F. I'll switch the breech plug to a Northwest version and use musket caps.

The blued barrel is fine as is. The black plastic stock has to go. I'll use a Boyds walnut stock.

That's as close as I can get guys. What do you think?

To bad you can't move the gun, maybe wait until closer to hunting season Pete ??? I'll ask around here who hunts and if interested. :cheers:

Your ideas would work but your spending more money with the stock, hell you could be a trend setter? :coffee:

skills.jpg

Pete, I like your ideas!
I have vision limits and need peep sights too. Funny how blued/browned metal has been the norm, but suddenly it's not good enough... Just having a 5 or 6 pound rifle is a great improvement for me. A PRB can shoot alright with reduced loading in quick twist grooves, but not with enough power for large game. However, that 420 bullet is gonna thump hard on both ends, so for my own health I would probably look for something in the 250-300 grains weight, but that's just my own feeling because I bruise so easily now.
I wish you all the best in your hunting endeavors my friend!

PS - I've actually been playing around with an idea to convert the inline to a side lock ML by replacing the ENTIRE stock with a wooden one, and adding a lock from my parts bin. (it would lose the metal frame as well)
I Really like the light barrel with its easy opening breech plug, so would plug and thread the 209 hole for a custom tang to make it look right. Yeah, I know...will have to grind away all the mounting hardware for frame attachment from the barrel, and that's stopped me so far because it means no going back. Still trying to think of a work-around on that - Any suggestions?

I've tried the 420gr bullet with 60gr of BH 209. It hit pretty hard but i'd be ok with it shooting offhand. I figure that load is equal to 80gr of Goex. The Goex will be a softer recoil for the same fps. At my 50yd max range it's hitting with about 1200fpe. That's plenty for a cow elk.

Converting to a sidelock sounds like a lot of work. I tell myself they had an inline in the 1800's and I don't feel as bad. ;)

To bad you can't move the gun, maybe wait until closer to hunting season Pete ??? I'll ask around here who hunts and if interested. :cheers:

Your ideas would work but your spending more money with the stock, hell you could be a trend setter? :coffee:

You're right. I wish it would have sold. I would have kept the Sharon and hope it wouldn't crack my spine. The rust would have cleaned up.

I loved that gun and it broke my heart to send it back. I know he'd sell it to me again but this time i'd need all the money. Before he was going to wait for the money until I sold the Wolf. With zero response except one guy saying it was good deal. I lost hope. I had it on 4 forums.

It was probably 8.5 lbs and with 80gr Goex 2F and a .530 PRB it would have been soft shooting and enough for a cow elk. Sigh......

I just sent an email to the owner of the Sharon asking him if he'd do the deal again. If he says yes i'll keep lowering the price of the Wolf until someone can't resist it.

We'll see what he says. I won't be surprised if he says no, but I need to try.

I heard back and just as I thought. He wants the money up front this time. He'll hold it for me though.

Now I need to decide if this is the best thing to do.

I just sent an email to the owner of the Sharon asking him if he'd do the deal again. If he says yes i'll keep lowering the price of the Wolf until someone can't resist it.

We'll see what he says. I won't be surprised if he says no, but I need to try.

You sound like me, if I want something bad enough "Cadee bar the door" .... ;)

skills.jpg

I guess I decided. I'll put the Wolf back up for sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buck........Was that you who moved the Aerolite bullets off the classified forum? If so, move the peep sight too. I put it in the Wolf package.

I love to shoot offhand. It's all i've ever done. However, with the Sharon I may have to use sticks or drop to a knee to get the load off my back. Still better than shooting an inline. :)

I've tried the 420gr bullet with 60gr of BH 209. It hit pretty hard but i'd be ok with it shooting offhand. I figure that load is equal to 80gr of Goex. The Goex will be a softer recoil for the same fps. At my 50yd max range it's hitting with about 1200fpe. That's plenty for a cow elk.

Converting to a sidelock sounds like a lot of work. I tell myself they had an inline in the 1800's and I don't feel as bad. ;)
No one should ever feel bad about hunting with an inline. Forget about its "non-traditional" ignition system. An inline is still a one-shot, muzzle-loading ( powder & bullet ) firearm just like the traditional sidelocks. The challenge is there...just remove the scope and sabot.

No, nobody should feel bad Marty. However, I do. ;)

I guess I just like old stuff better. I'm not putting inlines down for anybody else. We're all free to use whatever we want. My choice is a sidelock. The closer to original the better. I'd love a GRRW but they're way out of my price range. The seller of the Sharon also has a GRRW gun for sale but he wants $1400. Way too much for me.

Don't ever buy a blued barrel inline if you ever expect to sell it someday. 4 forums and zero interest. It's not going to sell.

Might as well start to convert it to as close to traditional as I can. Maybe it's for the best. Getting the Sharon and hurting my back would be stupid. We can't always get what we want. No matter how much we want it.

Shooting Goex, big lead conical, musket caps, and open sights will put a smile on my face. Even if it is an inline.

I love to shoot offhand. It's all i've ever done. However, with the Sharon I may have to use sticks or drop to a knee to get the load off my back. Still better than shooting an inline. :)
Pete do what several of my friends and myself do now. We use a walking stick 5 foot long that's dual purpose. I use a piece of hickory rod that came out of a closet (1-1/2 inch diam - plenty strong to support my weight when moving around the mountain) - has saved me many times from falling in slippery footings. Plus it makes a nice support for holding the rifle against for a longer or more steady aim, give it some thought. :thumbs up: To protect the ends of my staff I used copper pipe couplers and brass tacks, looks old and saves the hickory ends from getting beat up. :cheers:

skills.jpg

Same for me Buck. My MOST important piece of trapping equipt. is a 5 1/2' beaver cut tapered willow staff and I don't leave the 4runner without it. It too has saved my old butt many times. Also serves as the above mentioned shooting support. fractured it over a old boar coons head years ago ( forgot my Ruger bearcat in the rig) and wrapped it with damp rawhide as well as the grip and it still works great! Out

It's not going to matter Buck. The Wolf will never sell and I can't afford to buy the Sharon without selling the Wolf first. I have no problem shouldering the Wolf.

I should have waited before saying anything about the Sharon.

Instead of getting a wood stock, you might try painting it. I did that with a CVA Bobcat and it looks pretty good. No one wants to buy it, though, like your Wolf....

Attachments

• CVA_Bobcat-2.JPG
    CVA_Bobcat-2.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 13
  • CVA_Bobcat-3.JPG
    CVA_Bobcat-3.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 14
Guys I think the Wolf is not selling because it is just an entry level gun right?. How much do they cost 200.00 new?
I had one a number of years ago and did sell it. Sold one of the hunterbolts as well, but for very cheap money. Problem is for around $350.00 you can buy an nitride Accurra MR with bergarra barrel. Just an amazing. good luck OMM.

Back