Ok, How About This?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had two CVA MR's/V2's. A couple of Optima's. and a few Wolf's. Some blued, some SS, and some with Nitride. They all had the exact same accuracy. The same finger removal breech plug, and the same trigger design. The Wolf may be an entry level price but it's not an entry level gun. It's the best bang for the buck you can buy.

I've owned all these inlines and shot the hell out of them but never hunted with one. I will be this year. I really don't care what others think about it. It's what I have and i'm going to use it.

However, trying to make it traditional is silly. It is what it is.
'
I do plan to get a Boyds walnut stock if he makes one to fit. Not because it's more traditional but for the weight. I'll be using the NoExcuses 420gr and without the scope it's a 6 1/4lb gun. I'll use a reduced charge of BH 209 because it's what I have. It has a sharp recoil compared to Goex but i'll have to deal with it. I'll use a peep sight because the Wolf stock is made for open sights and I like a good cheek weld and I can't get one with a scope.

That's it. It should work for whatever kind of game I chose. I'll still be hunting up close and maybe that will let me shoot a load without too much recoil.

Sounds like a plan to me, can't wait to see it come together. I've got my accura mr but plan to develop loads for the Thompson center renegades. 56 smooth and 50 rifled. Time will tell what I will hunt with. I've only killed 3 whitetails with ML. All inlines. Never taken one with a percussion gun.

Guys I think the Wolf is not selling because it is just an entry level gun right?. How much do they cost 200.00 new?
I had one a number of years ago and did sell it. Sold one of the hunterbolts as well, but for very cheap money. Problem is for around $350.00 you can buy an nitride Accurra MR with bergarra barrel. Just an amazing. good luck OMM.
That’s exactly it. Entry level, and can be found on clearance for closer to $100. I know, because I bout 3 last year!!!

Yeah I think the magnum with scope is more expensive and all the accessories make it a great deal for someone starting out. That's why I think it would definitely sell eventually. Just need the right person to see it. Powder , bullets and such are expensive.

I've had two CVA MR's/V2's. A couple of Optima's. and a few Wolf's. Some blued, some SS, and some with Nitride. They all had the exact same accuracy. The same finger removal breech plug, and the same trigger design. The Wolf may be an entry level price but it's not an entry level gun. It's the best bang for the buck you can buy.

I've owned all these inlines and shot the hell out of them but never hunted with one. I will be this year. I really don't care what others think about it. It's what I have and i'm going to use it.

However, trying to make it traditional is silly. It is what it is.
'
I do plan to get a Boyds walnut stock if he makes one to fit. Not because it's more traditional but for the weight. I'll be using the NoExcuses 420gr and without the scope it's a 6 1/4lb gun. I'll use a reduced charge of BH 209 because it's what I have. It has a sharp recoil compared to Goex but i'll have to deal with it. I'll use a peep sight because the Wolf stock is made for open sights and I like a good cheek weld and I can't get one with a scope.

That's it. It should work for whatever kind of game I chose. I'll still be hunting up close and maybe that will let me shoot a load without too much recoil.

Pete, you mentioned getting a wood stock to increase weight and lessen felt recoil...How about popping off the buttplate and putting a small sandbag in the hollow plastic stock to add a pound or so? Maybe stuff it far forward and pack in behind it with some cloth or something to hold the bag in position. Just thought that might work temporarily and save you a few coins for later purchases. ;)

I thought about it but the wood would look so much nicer. They really aren't that expensive.

I'm also hoping I can order it with a Limbsaver pad to help take out some of the bite from the NoExcuses.

I thought about it but the wood would look so much nicer. They really aren't that expensive.

I'm also hoping I can order it with a Limbsaver pad to help take out some of the bite from the NoExcuses.

Yes, you are right, it will look much nicer, and that recoil pad is Must have if you do switch to wood.

It's $57 for the buttstock and the same for the forearm. That seems strange to me. You'd think the buttstock would be a higher price. I haven't talked to Boyd yet. I have some questions that need to be answered before i'll buy it.

Well, it will not only look better but should behave a bit more as well. Altogether, you will feel more pride of ownership with the changes.

It's $57 for the buttstock and the same for the forearm. That seems strange to me. You'd think the buttstock would be a higher price. I haven't talked to Boyd yet. I have some questions that need to be answered before i'll buy it.

Good luck getting through to Boyd's. What a run around. If that's how they feel about their customers i'll paint the damn stock.

Well guys, i've been thinking about this so much lately my brain hurts. I'm going to do what I think is best.

I'm using an inline. No matter what I do to it, it will always be an inline. Trying to make it a traditional muzzleloader is not going to work for me. It is what it is and it's what I chose to use.

So, i'm leaving it alone. I just bought a Nikon Buckmaster scope and that's what's going on the Wolf. I'll raise the comb to line up better with the scope. BH 209 (80gr) and the Aerolite 300gr will be my load. I'll just be hunting for a muley buck and i'll have fun doing it.

Sorry for getting off track but this is the best for me. I'll be almost 78 for the next hunt. I don't like it but I have to make adjustments. My heavy Hawken type guns and elk hunting days are over.

Last edited:
Join the party Pete, we do what we can handle (weight is a killer anymore for many of us). **** 10 years ago 200 lbs. was nothing to move around, today 40 lbs. can be an effort.

I have three beautiful new GRRW Collector Association firearms (all in or near the 9-10 lb. weights), it's an effort to hold them steady to shoot at paper no less at moving game. In time I'll probably be listing them here for sale. Only one has been shot and that was mostly by Jonathan (he wrote about it here a while back) see: Hope to get out tomorrow (testing a flinter)...

It's sad for me as I use to be pretty good at shooting running game at long distances whether actual animals or paper targets of animals, (have won several events doing this on a national level years ago). Today it takes me so long to stop making circles with the front sight the target would be in the next county. :mad: :coffee:

Guys I just turned 80 and now being in this condition sucks big time, in two weeks I go for a right knee operation, after that recovery, have the left knee worked on again. !@#$%^ With the knees going south and the back being pinned and fused life can be hard at times. :cheers:

Hang tight Pete we are to old to stop now .......

skills.jpg

All we can do Buck is try and have fun with what's left of our life.

I'll be smiling on my buck hunt. Getting one will be a bonus.

Well I'm not quite 74 but can empathize. Been battling rheumatoid arthritis now for near 20 years. This doesn't even include the degenerative spinal disease and nerve damage. Chronic pain, fatigue, you name it is my 24/7. But I still do things I'm not "supposed" to do. Just being on this forum means you got the interest and fire; even though you might not have the physical part any longer.

At 73, I am in perfect condition! My energy, vitality, vigor and physical capabilities are the same as they were when I was 30. My conditioning and strength is that of a combination marathoner and power-lifter.
I also have a very rich fantasy life and imagination. Rejecting and denying reality is a large part of my daily life.
Ron

Back