Old Ammo and their boxes.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Don't give away or trade off those old cartridge boxes guys, they bring some unexpected good money.  

We just consigned one old box of cartridges that's been in the bottom drawer of an old highboy piece of furnisher. 

shopping
Cowan's figured this box and ammo would bring in the $400 - $600 range, finial sale price was $900.  Not bad for an old box of ammo that most would have given away.​

old-ammo.jpg

As time goes bye I find I have no use for some of my old treasurers. Now with thanks to the Internet we have been moving a good percentage of unneeded items like boxes of 1960's .22 rimfire ammo along with other calibers that I no longer have the guns to match.  

I'm afraid to shoot some of the old stuff because of age and leading issues. I saw somewhere a few guys would lube the lead to help with leading of old ammo? Has anyone ever tried this???

Thanks for posting those 8) box pics.  Perishable historic items, like those paper boxes, don't hold up very well over time...especially when exposed to humidity and moisture.

Marty I contacted the "International Association of .22 Caliber Collectors" had no idea there was such a group. I'll scan this message and place it here, good information for those interested.

collecting-22-cal-cartridges-boxes-1.jpg

collecting-22-cal-cartridges-boxes-2.jpg

collecting-22-cal-cartridges-boxes-3.jpg

collecting-22-cal-cartridges-boxes-4.jpg

collecting-22-cal-cartridges-boxes-5.jpg

collecting-22-cal-cartridges-boxes-6.jpg

collecting-22-cal-cartridges-boxes-7.jpg

collecting-22-cal-cartridges-boxes-8.jpg

collecting-22-cal-cartridges-boxes-9.jpg

I have like many of you - shot up valuable ammo then throw away the boxes, all worth good money. 

On Ebay empty boxes are getting anywhere from a few bucks to over $50 per box (depends on condition like any antique).

Now I'm going to have to research what ammo I don't want to shoot is worth, will take pictures. But that comes after I get done working with Stoney on his issues with selling his wares.

That was a good read :study: on .22's.  I remember most the first time plastic containers were introduced.  It was a lot easier to count the remaining rounds. :lol:

I reloaded most everything I shot, so never had much of anything in the way of factory load boxes.

Very good read Buck! I have seen some really neat Old Ammo boxes over the Years. I am like Marty, i have Reloaded Centerfire Since i was 14-15 Yrs old, When i bought a new Gun i would buy everything i needed to Reload for that Cartridge, Most of the time i would Buy new unfired brass, Very few of my Guns have ever shot a Factory Shell.

I have always been a BIG Fan of Nosler Bullets, Not so much the Partitions. The Accubonds, and Ballistic Tips are my Favorite 2 Rifle Bullets. I was in a Pawn shop looking around and found these, New unopened Box of 160 Partition bullets for 7MM, The Old Red box was the very first Partitions ever made. From my understanding by reading, Each bullet was individually hand turned in this time
PjdNcIql.jpg

Written in Pencil, By John Nosler
REn40jal.jpg

7mRovf6l.jpg

Boxes like that Idaholewis make for a great decorative item and conversation piece in the house or shop.  I like anything old and original.  Hard for me to drive past a museum without stopping.

Marty said:
Boxes like that Idaholewis make for a great decorative item and conversation piece in the house or shop.  I like anything old and original.  Hard for me to drive past a museum without stopping.
I agree Marty! That’s where these are at, my wife has a Dedicated set of shelves of Old antique stuff, I have a few old TC Mold boxes, The Box that these Nosler Partitions are sitting on is an Old Redding Beam scale that i bought new in the Box. I have quite a bit of Old collectible stuff like this 

Z3BmZhp.jpg

Latest posts

Back