Omega and scope mounts

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ

Reaction score
I installed the Talley one piece high mount on my Omega with a Nikon Monarch 5.5-16.5x44 scope. When I went to sight it in, I had to crank the scope to the max of its adjustments to zero the dang setup at 100 yards. Anyone else have this issue? I may have to swap mounting systems to something I can shim to get some adjustment back. I hate to use the scope at the max end of the adjustments. :(

Pretty common problem with Encores/Omegas and scope mounts. Either new base/ring set, a scope with more adjustment range, hone the Talley base (no way I would do that), or shim up the rear of that base (same comment on that one).

If I remember correctly, that scope has a really low amount of w/e adjustment. MOST muzzleloaders I've sighted in with a scope need at least 60 inches(remember that's just 30 inches UP) elevation adjustment, and with more than a few, THAT'S not enough. I'll no longer purchase a scope for a muzzleloader(exceptions Savage/NULA) with less than 65 inches and that rules out a lot of scopes. Also, the higher the scope from the bore axis, the more elevation you'll need. The good news is that it would be a simple task to stick a shim under than one-piece Talley mount.

BTW...Omegas/Encores are NOTORIOUS for needing extra elevation adjustment!

Thanks guys. Yeah the Monarch has 40" of adjustment total. So yeah, I may have to swap it out for another. I was going to put my Kahles on it but the mount is not high enough for the 50mm. I will have to look through the scopes I have and see what will work.

Thanks

I was able to mount the Kahles 3-10x50 but the flip ups will not work without some surgery. Off to the range in 7 hours to see how it does with this one.

That suprises me, both of mine are right near the center, I suspect that some mounts are less compatable than others. Lee

Lee 9 said:
That suprises me, both of mine are right near the center, I suspect that some mounts are less compatable than others. Lee

for "Lee 9" It surprised the crap outta' me as well. Good thing for me that Burris has their Signature "ZEE " rings available.
By the way , did you read the two links that I showed on my previous reply?
Also , if Lee is your first name , then you've got one h--- of a first name. That is my name as well :)

I installed the Kahles last night and went to shoot today. !@#!@$!@ same issue. I was ticked. I ordered a Ken Farrell mount and a set of Warne rings. I am not a fan of the Burris Sig rings with the plastic inserts.

While I was at the range, a guy let me shoot his .50 caliber. It was not a ML though, 2 shots and connected with the gong each time at 750 yards. 8) Very cool!

416LJT
Yes I looked at them. Lee, is my nick name its an abrevation of my first name.
On the scope rings, well I had a shop for guns and bows at on time and the old german gunsmith that work for me taught me a lot.
I use Millet windage ajustable steel scope rings, for several reasons most of a gun like the barrel is steel and when it expands and contracts it puts unnecessary strain on the scope. Second an awfull lot of the people that had accuracy problems that brought there guns in had aluminium rings that were causeing the problem in several different ways. It just does not make any sense to me to buy a fine rifle and a good scope and hook them together with a cheap or inferior[ one does not necessarily go with the other] mount or rings. Lee

AJ said:
I installed the Kahles last night and went to shoot today. !@#!@$!@ same issue. I was ticked. I ordered a Ken Farrell mount and a set of Warne rings. I am not a fan of the Burris Sig rings with the plastic inserts.

Asking because I don't know , what does a Ken Farrell mount and Warne rings do? Is there a website I can go to to look at them?
So far the Zees' are holding the scope in place. No slippage that I can detect yet , but if I do have trouble in the future I'd like to have an option to go to. Thanks man!

I use the Leupold QR base and medium rings with a VX-II 3-9x40 on an Omega and have never run into any elevation problems with it. Maybe I was just lucky or something.

Leupold QR's

I use the Leupold QR's ( low rings) and have mounted same on several rifles for friends and I highly recommend them.Good looking, reliable , rugged and not too pricey. I put them on 3 Omegas and an Encore. No complaints.No problems of any kind. Good Luck

416LJT said:
AJ said:

Asking because I don't know , what does a Ken Farrell mount and Warne rings do? Is there a website I can go to to look at them?
So far the Zees' are holding the scope in place. No slippage that I can detect yet , but if I do have trouble in the future I'd like to have an option to go to. Thanks man!

Ken Farrell makes a base that has elevation "built in." Usually 20 to 30 inches. Badger and Seekins(what I have on my 700P) make them as well. Common on tactical-style rifles for shooting 600-1000yds. Not a bad way to go but they will probably be higher than expected. Warne rings do nothing but hold the scope! :lol:

The Burris Signature Zee rings are a GREAT product and solve most w/e adjustment issues. I have some on my 22-250 Ackley Imp and really no problems getting the elevation almost perfect with a centered scope! IMO the issue with the Signature rings in this case is there is no "quick release" Burris Signature Zee rings...at least I don't know of any.

http://www.kenfarrell.com/

Yep, the Ken Farrell base has 20 minutes of taper built in so you can keep the adjustment in the scope without having to resort to shimming the base which can have undesired results to the optics.

I have used the Burris Sig rings in the past and had nothing but problems on guns that had some recoil to them. On a varmint gun, it would probably work fine, but on my 308 Encore handgun, the scope moved around a lot. It cost me a pig while hunting in Calif and I have not used them since. If i remember from my benchrest days, there is a high end ring/mount maker that offers a similar setup but with metal inserts, maybe Kelby????

I might be wrong , but I think I read somewhere that Sako makes some kind of elavation adjustable base , but I believe only for their rifles.
????

Back