Omega loads 110gr and over?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toolman

Reaction score
I went to the range Saturday with a new Nikon Monarch 3x9x40 on my Omega. I spent two hours trying to get a consistent group using 100-105gr FFF T7. I am going back tomorrow afternoon and was thinking I should try 110gr and 120gr.
Oh, I was shooting 240gr T/C green sabots XTP's. I also shot some 250gr Shockwaves. I think I will try some 300gr Hornady SST's. Last year they shot reasonably.

I am curious how many Omega owners are using 110-120 gr T7 to get consistently accurate shots @ 100yds?

Thanks

I am curious how many Omega owners are using 110-120 gr T7 to get consistently accurate shots @ 100yds?

I actually DID get good accuracy with as much as 125gr ffg Triple Se7en using the 200gr Shockwave in my Omega .50. The 250gr Shockwave was almost as good. But each rifle is different so yours may not. But if I were trying for that, that's the two bullets I'd use...

Toolman, I couldn't get anything in 44cal. to fly good out of the Omega I had,and my new Prohunter is the same. They seem to like .451-2 size bullets best. The T/C 250gr. XTP (black sabots) will shoot good in most,infact they give excellent accuracy,and are a good hunting bullet. The Knight I had on the other hand would shoot .430 size (green sabots) bullets with great accuracy. Like Chuck said,the 200gr. Shock Waves/ 250 SSt/250Shock Waves,and 240-250gr.452XTP's will all shoot well. They aren't as picky as far as powder charges either. A Shock Wave seems to shoot well,over a broad range of powder charges. :D

I had pretty good success using 100 gr 777 and 25o shockwaves in my omega. I was putting bullets through bullet holes at 60 yards using iron sights.

Yeah! That load/bullet combo has worked for most people,and it is kinda a "standard load". Shoots great in many diffrent guns. :D

My Omega shoots well with 120 grs of ff 777 and Barnes 290 gr TMZs. I had trouble getting good groups with fff 777, don't know why, but I did.

rondal,I've heard that same thing! I think in guns with long barrels,the slower burning powders do better.

Thanks guys. I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow at the range.

TM

Toolman,

Post your range reports if you don't mind. I just bought a new Omega and will be looking for a good hunting load.

Toolman: I own and hunt with 3 different Omegas. I have experimented with many different loads. although I have found 110grs of 777 and a 250 gr. Shockwave to be fairly consistant , my favorite and most accurate load in all 3 guns is 150gr. pyrodex pellets with the 300gr. Shockwave. I've killed deer with this load from 25 to 225 yards.

Well, I went to the range and had the first three shots touching at 100 yards( 300gr SST's/110gr 777). The next two were 3.5"and 4.5" right!

I then experimented and checked the tightness of my rings and was not happy. I made a mistake and bought a set of adjustable (w&e) rings by Millett. I shot for 4 hours and ended up with a five shot group inside 2.5" at 100yds. Good enough to kill a deer, but I'm still not sure how long the accuracy will last. I ordered a set of Warne Rings today from Cabellas and will probably change them after the muzzleloader season ends, Jan 31st.
Oh, I forgot, I ended up using Hornady .45cal 240gr XTP's with 105gr of 777. I truly think the 300gr SST's will shoot the best in the long run.

Wish I had tried loose Pyrodex to see if it grouped better.

Omega Load

Im my omega 50 I use 250 barnes tipped, and 95g Pinnacle loose. I've shot the tightest groups with that load ,for me that is. around 2 1/2" at 100 yd. with 1x32 scope. It has been very effective on game, quick and clean. I tried all of the loose powders avaliable to me T7, Pyro, the Goex worked for me. Hope it helps

Latest posts

Back