On the streets.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I have lived in this house almost 10 years.My land lord was an old viet nam marine.He passed away recently and his son stopped by today with a hand written letter he printed off a computer.I have til the 31st of this month to remove myself and belongings from this house. No reason or rhyme as to why except it is exchanging handsI have never been late or not paid my rent in all this time.So now I have to try and find a storge facility and then someplace to stay .With all this covid-19,no one wants to talk to any one or fillout an application.So if I am not on for awhile,I have to have all the utilities and the water shut off before I leave because I am not going to leave them in my name for him to try and use them.Thanks every one for listening at my raving on.On the road again!!

They can't do that to you. There's a legal process involved. They have to go to the housing court in your town or county to file eviction proceedings against you.
Good luck with that now, in most states no one can be evicted from their homes because of the covid pandemic.

The laws are written to protect people in situations like yours. Unfortunately, they're usually applied to leeches who don't pay their rent and are able to keep on living free of charge for 6 to 12 months. But you've got rights. Check into your local laws and good luck!

All good advice, sorry to hear of your situation and hope you can gain a legal footing for a longer grace period to find new living arrangements.
Best wishes

Stop!! I don't know if this applies to you but right now No One can be evicted because of co vid 19!! At least that's the law in the NY/NJ and I believe Pa also!! You need to check your state housing laws during this epidemic.

Well I have lived in this house almost 10 years.My land lord was an old viet nam marine.He passed away recently and his son stopped by today with a hand written letter he printed off a computer.I have til the 31st of this month to remove myself and belongings from this house. No reason or rhyme as to why except it is exchanging handsI have never been late or not paid my rent in all this time.So now I have to try and find a storge facility and then someplace to stay .With all this covid-19,no one wants to talk to any one or fillout an application.So if I am not on for awhile,I have to have all the utilities and the water shut off before I leave because I am not going to leave them in my name for him to try and use them.Thanks every one for listening at my raving on.On the road again!!
Best wishes man

I don't know what,if any role covid plays in a scenario like this, but I do know 100% tha law says a landlord must give in writing a 30 day notice to vacate the premises. He can't give you 2 wks legally. Also, the 30 days to vacate gets drug out to even 90 days all the time all over the country. I've done it myself. I hope you can use this info to buy yourself some more time at least.

Like others have said, You have rights, you need to look deeper in to them. Best of Wishes, and hope everything works out good in the end

Thanks everyone for all the advice.I have not one time been late on my rent the entire I have been here.Nor have I done any damage to the probery.As a matter of fact I have been without cld water in my bathroom since last March.And there have been times things neede fixed that he did not do but I took money out of my pockets to get things fixed.I thought about not paying this coming months rent and make him take me to court and then sees what happens.At least I may gain a little more time in order to find a place.

From what you said, it looks like the son is selling the house.
Ultimately, you'll probably have to move but again, there's a legal process that he has to follow.
Having receipts establishes a good paper trail for you when you get to court.

When I asked him what was happening all he said was ''It is changing hands" but no further explanation.I don't mind having to move,but just a little ore time to find something,and he is not willing to do that.

He is SOL if you have the law on your side. If he sees having to spend $$ on a lawyer for nothing, he will relent and give you the time as law allows. Best Wishes

God and the law are on your side. I would not recommend holding out any rent, you have done well up until now and there is no reason to tarnish that now. i would spend a little time on the phone or internet and get some good legal advice. DO NOT PANIC, that is what your new landlord wants you to do.
Everyone should have a relationship with a Lawyer, not a personal injury lawyer but a Lawyer that will look after your best interest. I have been there and I have learned. I would not go to the Yellow pages but ask people you know who might recommend someone, around here many lawyers will talk to you for free at the first appointment. I just had my will updated today. I would look for an attorney that does everything, Real estate, Wills all general legal stuff. It is well worth it in the long run. My attorney protects me like a pit bull.Don't try to do it alone.Good Luck, Waxxy

Back