On X hunting app.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
Anyone here use this feature. Or do you have another you would recommend. I use several sites including Google Earth but wonder if those are older images. Would like something current if they are available.

I use the OnX Hunt app for work, as ONE tool. I do NOT rely on it, as my only source of info.

I use it in conjunction with online county property records (which have largely replaced the old plat books, around here), public land maps from government agencies, GoogleEarth, etc.

I have found several errors in their info (not surprising, considering the amount of data that they are dealing with!). TO THEIR CREDIT, they have been amenable to explanation from a local party. After notifying them of errors, and sending them documentation of the correct info, they have made some corrections, around my place.

I was pretty impressed by their willingness to correct errors, although it’s in their own interest to sell an accurate product.

There are still some things I am not real impressed with, that are per more an issue of “semantics,” than anything. Since different natural resource agencies use different terms for the same thing, I think that’s pretty forgivable, considering they’re mapping nationwide…

I think it’s a neat idea, though the features that I use are available for free elsewhere. I’m not a youngster or a “tech guy,” so I’m just using the most basic features…

I use HuntStand. Does everything I need it to do, including property ownership nationwide. $30/year. (OnX costs $100 for nationwide property ownership, or $30 for a single-state property ownership data.)

I don't know what else OnX gives you for that extra $$ that HuntStand doesn't give you - I never used OnX. But HuntStand does everything I need it to do. In fact, if I didn't care about property ownership, I would have stayed with the free-version. But the nationwide property ownership information is worth $30 for me.

HuntStand has a $70 premium subscription, but it has stuff I don't care about or would use much, so I stay with the $30 version. But it sounds like you would like the "Monthly Satellite Imagery" feature in HuntStand for that $70 version. But that monthly satellite imagery is very low resolution, you don't really see much detail.

See: https://www.huntstand.com/subscriptions/

So if I use Google earth do I get the same imagery?

I want the best or most current satellite images.

All very helpful by the way

Last edited:
I use HuntStand. Does everything I need it to do, including property ownership nationwide. $30/year. (OnX costs $100 for nationwide property ownership, or $30 for a single-state property ownership data.)

I don't know what else OnX gives you for that extra $$ that HuntStand doesn't give you - I never used OnX. But HuntStand does everything I need it to do. In fact, if I didn't care about property ownership, I would have stayed with the free-version. But the nationwide property ownership information is worth $30 for me.

HuntStand has a $70 premium subscription, but it has stuff I don't care about or would use much, so I stay with the $30 version. But it sounds like you would like the "Monthly Satellite Imagery" feature in HuntStand for that $70 version. But that monthly satellite imagery is very low resolution, you don't really see much detail.

See: https://www.huntstand.com/subscriptions/
I use HuntStand as well. I found it more user friendly than OnX, and I didn’t need a lot of the features that OnX has.

So if I use Google earth do I get the same imagery?

I want the best or most current satellite images.

All very helpful by the way
Well here’s an example. Google Earth is the standard I think in sat imagery.

016C4322-BB43-4C24-A2AC-8AACF963D851.jpeg
B7BAA969-DE61-44B7-A3EA-98733B69A6DE.jpeg

I like to use Google Earth when I want to view historical imagery. Can’t do that in OnX. So for imagery alone and 3d, Google Earth is better. But OnX has land ownership, tracking and lots of different layers (trails, roadless areas, hunt unit boundaries, game distribution, historical and current wildfires, etc). And you can toggle back and forth between topo and sat images or a combo. There’s really no comparison between them as a hunting app. Depends on what you need/want.

Another advantage of OnX is that you can download and use imagery offline when you don’t have cell service.

You can always try the free version of both and compare.

Last edited:
How old is the imagery on Google earth?????
Depends on where you are. The satellites are continually snapping photos. If you pan around on the Google Earth imagery you’ll see different dates. The Google Earth image above is “current” from 2019. OnX doesn’t tell you when the imagery was taken. All I can tell is that the above images were taken at different times - don’t know if the OnX in this case is newer or older.

From what I can tell, the Google imagery and the basic imagery you see in HuntStand are the same (not including that monthly lo-res imagery). They must get it from the same source(s).

HuntStand has offline maps, too, that you can download that imagery when you don't expect to have cell service. I use that a lot when on the marsh and bays of NJ when cell service is spotty sometimes but I need to find my waterfowl and fishing spots :)

I think both huntstand and onx have the same basic features. They are in competition and probably try to keep up with each other with the basic functions and features. But, again, I don't have and never used OnX, so I can't say what you get with them.

my on x is for my state only if I were to go out if state I would get more from them but for now I like what I have

I wish they could figure out a way so you can add your buddies so you know where they are. God forbid one of them get hurt and can’t get out of the woods.
I never used it, but HuntStand has a feature called "Friend Locator" where you can track your hunting buddies (and they, you) for this reason. I never used it because I just use the standard Google Maps "Shared Location" feature - that way I can share my location to anyone, whether they have HuntStand or not. I share my location with my wife, for example. I tell her, if you don't hear from me by the end of the day, send for help :)

Well here’s an example. Google Earth is the standard I think in sat imagery.

View attachment 33007
View attachment 33008

I like to use Google Earth when I want to view historical imagery. Can’t do that in OnX. So for imagery alone and 3d, Google Earth is better. But OnX has land ownership, tracking and lots of different layers (trails, roadless areas, hunt unit boundaries, game distribution, historical and current wildfires, etc). And you can toggle back and forth between topo and sat images or a combo. There’s really no comparison between them as a hunting app. Depends on what you need/want.

Another advantage of OnX is that you can download and use imagery offline when you don’t have cell service.

You can always try the free version of both and compare.
My issue with Google Earth is that it shows my neighbors house as mine. Using their center point. that is a misrepresentation of 34.64 meters. Knowing how some anti hunting landowners are around here not sure their info is trustworthy. Further, there imagery says 2023 copyright but the car in my driveway we got rid of in 2019. Resolution is definitely better however...
Doesn't really matter for me as : 1) I do not carry a cell phone, and 2) Vast majority of the area around me has no cell service

Yes, I was looking at Google Earth imagery dates today. I noticed dates between 2012 and 2022. So, a lot of it is not as current as you’d hope it is.

As far as the accuracy, my phone (GPS/OnX/Google Earth location) is nearly always right on. Maybe you’re in a weird reception area.

I used to use OnX Hunt but now I use GAIA GPS. Have property lines for the whole country for the same price as one state in OnX. Very happy with it.

Latest posts

Back