One Bullet to Rule Them All?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you are right. It is just a ritual/habit I have gotten into.
We're not that far apart on the numbers of times running through a sizer. When I size bullets that may have some spring back, I run them through 5 times, setting the die so the final 5th time sizes them to the force I'm looking for. The Fury bullets only need one pass as they don't spring back.

I've never had a 275 Barnes spring back, that said I run them through a .449 die 1 time then like Hatchetjack knurl them and use a dry wool wad. @ just under 2500fps they will shoot lengthways through a deer @ 90yds, I know by exp. I can't find any more and went to xtp mags with a wool wad but the xtp mags leave a fist size exit wound. No tracking. I have always had to use a wad with Fury bullets even shooting them much faster fps. Pittman and Parker bullets can and will do serious damage to a deer.

I've never had a 275 Barnes spring back, that said I run them through a .449 die 1 time then like Hatchetjack knurl them and use a dry wool wad. @ just under 2500fps they will shoot lengthways through a deer @ 90yds, I know by exp. I can't find any more and went to xtp mags with a wool wad but the xtp mags leave a fist size exit wound. No tracking. I have always had to use a wad with Fury bullets even shooting them much faster fps. Pittman and Parker bullets can and will do serious damage to a deer.
What Parkers are you using, and at what speeds and distances?

I have only used them once 4-5yrs ago 275 and 300gr IRC ballistic extremes. I was new to sabot-less shooting then and I could not get them to shoot well for me then. Never went back to them, but have shot quite a few Pittman 275 and 300gr accumaxes out to 440yds but never hunted with them myself. A lot of my friends do hunt with them and more than not of deer shot are bang flops with extreme internal damage, sometimes no exit wound. I don't hunt except in woods from a climber and don't get long range shots so I don't need high bc bullets for hunting.

I am really liking the looks of the Pittman hammer bullets from hammer bullets

haven’t ordered any yet as I have of bunch of fury and Parker’s to try 1st

There probably is nothing more fail-safe than monolithic/copper bullets as far as terminal performance. Speeds which will get such at 300 yards will not grenade on you at 30 yards.
The trick is finding the load that is accurate at 300 yards as well as 30.
The trick normally is gettin a bullet that won't pencil through at 30yds, but perform like a beast at 300yds

I am really liking the looks of the Pittman hammer bullets from hammer bullets

haven’t ordered any yet as I have of bunch of fury and Parker’s to try 1st
I know of a few guys that hunt with the Hammer bullets and they are very effective and BC is up to the 3-400+ yd challenge if the shooter is.

The trick normally is gettin a bullet that won't pencil through at 30yds, but perform like a beast at 300yds
Exactly, that is what I am worried about with this new smokeless build I am "trying" to put together. I need a bullet that can perform at 30 and 300. Wasn't an issue for me until we put up this massive tower blind, now we can see hundreds of yards (which is a good thing, but the situation requires a different beast for the stand to live up to its potential).

Last edited:
No mention of No Excuses? I ordered some 420’s after last deer season and have yet to try them, but I’m hoping for a bang, flop a scenario that I don’t get with lighter saboted bullets. Bush honeysuckle in our area makes dragging them out of a hollow a real bear.

Exactly, that is what I am worried about with this new smokeless build I am "trying" to put together. I need a bullet that can perform at 30 and 300. Wasn't an issue for me until we put up this massive tower blind, now we can see hundreds of yards (which is a good thing, but the situation requires a different beast for the stand to live up to its potential).
The Parker 250 & 275gr BE's are good bullets for what we're talking about & I use the 275 Fury ST2P smokeless bullets & I've shot deer ao 20yds, 60yds, 110yds 130yds is the farthest killshot. That bullet dropped everything it hit in their tracks. Just an awesome performing bullet for target shooting or puttin dowm critters with authority. I'm stickin with it. That bullet pushed fast enough will still drop deer way past most ppls shooting capability.

No mention of No Excuses? I ordered some 420’s after last deer season and have yet to try them, but I’m hoping for a bang, flop a scenario that I don’t get with lighter saboted bullets. Bush honeysuckle in our area makes dragging them out of a hollow a real bear.
Good bullets too. I don't shoot " heavy " bulles. I like them fast & flat.

Smokeless muzzleloaders really aren’t designed for shooting heavy lead. Big lead usually performs better at slower blackpowder speeds.

You’re probably right. Would that account for most people who are shooting no excuses bullets recommending 80ish grains by volume of Blackhorn? I thought I read on their website that people were still shooting up to 275 yards or so. As I mentioned earlier, I haven’t tried them but some of the reviews look good.

You’re probably right. Would that account for most people who are shooting no excuses bullets recommending 80ish grains by volume of Blackhorn? I thought I read on their website that people were still shooting up to 275 yards or so. As I mentioned earlier, I haven’t tried them but some of the reviews look good.
Probably about right. 80 to 90 grains of blackpowder would be the ticket I think. I shoot 460 gr No Excuses out of my 1-48 twist Renegade. My charge is only 65 gr of Swiss Blackpowder. All my deer have exit holes. I would have no hesitation using that gun and charge for black bear.

Smokeless muzzleloaders really aren’t designed for shooting heavy lead. Big lead usually performs better at slower blackpowder speeds.

‘Most people shoot smokeless loads comparatively fast; however, they don’t have to be fast. If a person wants to shoot a heavy, cast bullet, just shoot it slower still with smokeless powder.

Back