Opinion: Best deer cartridge or caliber.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This month's Field and Stream readers poll listed the 30-06 as their most used deer caliber.

:) May I throw the Win. 308 in the fray. Easy to reload for with many powders that work. The range of bullets are the same as a 06 for that matter. If you happen to leave home your pet loads some thing suitable can be found at most places that sell ammo too. Now days the brass is easly gotten too.

:D Al

Yup, 308 is a great bullet and IMO finishes a close 2nd to the 06, when you compare those 2 bullets

That 308 is a great bullet and it is a short action cartridge so you can use smaller scopes on it.
Redclub

Thats one reason I opted fot the 300WSM. I am not a big fan of the long actions.

For deer only (bear not also in season)- .308 Win, 150 gr or 165 gr bullet

For deer and black bear- .30-'06, 165 gr Nosler partition bullet

Honorable mention- .270 Win

Actually, any of these 3 would work for either scenario.

I own more .30-'06 hunting rifles than any other caliber. I still use the .308 also.

Boy this is a tough one. There are so many that I like in different hunting situations and environments.

If I could only have one, it would be a 30-06, has one of the widest bullet selections.

.270 would be my second choice.

To be honest their are a ton that fit into the "deer sized " portfolio. However a lot depends on hunting situation(game, range, preferred shot,etc), ammo (reload or OTC) and really recoil. a .25 cal up will handle any wt or md that walks in NA with the proper bullet used for the application(this isn't nearly as hard as it once was as many premium bullets are available for one to find the right tool). I have a buddy who slams our canadian bucks from 30-500 yards with 25-06, you couldn't tell him that thing isn't a great deer cartridge. On the flip side I know guys who swear by their 300RUM's spitting out 180 gr pills in the 3500 fps area. Really boils down to what makes them feel all fuzzy inside.

However for me personally the 7mm rem mag has been the one that has stuck. I use it as my all arounder - antelope to moose have not presented a problem. I reload so no worries about finding a load that will work for all of these animals. For an example last fall I shot a bull elk, bull moose, mule deer doe and whitetail buck all with 140 gr TSX. Moose was the closest - called in - 70 yards 1/4 away full penetration stopping on the opposite side hide after busting out the scapula (91% retention and .704 alipered mushroom over 2x bullet diameter)Longest Mule Doe LRF at 369yards, double lung/tag filled. I have acheived the same thing many years with other bullets such as Nosler Part, Nosler AB's, Speers Grandslam and CT Failsafe. If I am hunting just deer I'll load up 140gr AB's or 150 gr BT's and these 2 bullets have produced extremely well in my 7 mag. In terms of the NBT large number are DRT but never seen one travel over 50 yards after a lung hit.

If i were hunting deer and starting out with a cf, I'd probably look to the 270 class. I still own 2 -270's and they are a fine choice. Especially if you don't reload. 3006 or 308 also fall nicely into this area for OTC shooter. The 3006 is a bit more versatile than the .308 in terms of larger game (if ever a concern). The 7mm rem mag also would fit the bill if your leaning towards maybe hunting elk or moose with the rifle and want to chuck a smaller pill faster/flatter with similar results. (ie: 284cal 160gr compares with 308 cal 180gr in terms of performance, SD, etc) Really is nothing an 06 180 will do that the 160 7mm rem mag won't, just an FYI. When you compare that same 180gr bullet chucked from a 300WM then you start to see an advantage for the 308 cal pills over the .284cal. IMO neither of these are great big bear choices, so the 220 gr talk is really non-issue for most NA game. I think I am getting out their so I'll just stop this thought...sorry!

If you'll reload & deer sized game to varmits are your concern think hard about the 25-06, 25-06AI or .257 chamberings. Excellent choice for light skinned critters, flat shooter & lower recoil(generally find accuracy improves when recoil is in the comfortable range. Varies so let your experience dictate how this may be a factor, if you haven't had much experience try getting a chance at shooting a few different CF's of interest).

I also like the 7mm 08 & 280 rem(though recoil will be very close to 06 levels depending on the rifle styling -weight & fit) as well for the reloader. While the 7mm 08 isn't as tough to find OTC ammo choices, it still is somewhat hampered in its potential with factory only ammo. Components are easily found for both so no worry here.

Somebody mentioned the 270 win isn't a bear cartridge - I say fooey! loaded up with a Nosler Part or comparable it will handle a blackie no problems. I have only shot 1 black bear with a CF it dropped to 130 NP from 270 win, shot was maybe 100 yards through shoulders, NP was recovered and retained 59%. My other bears have fallen to archery (oh sorry one to a 50 cal ml 300 xtp under 120 gr RS). Shot placement and proper bullet really do make a big difference. In fact I have also taken elk and moose with a 270 win -150 gr NP...while i don't think it is the ideal tool it certainly will work with the right bullet and limits put in place. I wouldn't go shooting a 300 yard raking shot with a 270 win..no matter what bullet I had in the pipe!!

I will say 308.Why because it just plan works.130 grain 150 and 165.covers it all.donnyb60.

Deer are easy to kill, many hunters go to the field with large cartridge guns and rarely kill a deer over 100 yards. I am planning to build a new custom deer rifle and it will be a 6.5x284. It has more than enough power to kill any deer out past 500 yards, has light recoil, and high end components are readily available.

If I was only allowed 1 gun it would be a 300WSM. If I were to choose the best whitetail deer cartridge for the area in which I shoot it would be the old 30-30. Man that round is awesome for deer hunting at close qaurters and thick bush and it puts a deer down fast. I think that that round in a Winchester 94 (pre 64 version) might just be the best rifle ever made for Canadian bush and deer hunting. 20 inch barrel. Awesome accuracy at short ranges. I also like a 308. But thats because I loved shooting the .762 round in the army. Very accurate and no recoil at all.

Blackpowder: please can you let me know what you mean about no shoulder shots, only lung shots with a 300WSM. I shoot 90% heart and lung. But occasionaly shoot high and get shoulder. Never shot a deer or Moose in the shoulder with my 300WSM. I am really interested in your point.
Nice caribou by the way. Congratulations

if u shoot into the shoulder you will hit heavy bone , the bone will fragment and cause a lot of meat damage ...my kid brother has a BLR. 308 cal .uses a 150 gr. bullet and shot a deer 2 years ago in the shoulder ,the front part of the deer [female] was wasted ..the only animal that i shot in the shoulder is a bear it nails them on the spot .don't care about meat loss when hunting bear i only recover the rear quarters for meat. ps. off subject ,i hunted 25 odd years with a REMINGTON mod.700 cal 30-06 and only switched over to the 300wsm because i started hunting caribou . the extended range i get from the 300 wsm is awsome ...but both cal. will put down north american game..if the hunter does his part..

favorite

Being a FIRM believer in " Its not what you hit them with , but rather where you hit them with it" my favorite centerfire is the .30-30.She's done all I've asked and more than she should've ! But now I'm a muzzleloader and my favorite in that realm is my Black Diamond XR .50 shooting .45 Hornady XTP's in the .44 Mag to .454 Casul levels.Ears and shoulder intact.Deer?Um, not so much...

Back