35 Whelen and Ammo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all and thanks for looking at my post. My topic involves a few questions.

I have been itching for a 35 Whelen since I first heard about the caliber. It seems like a rifle for any North American big game. Mind you, I only hunt white-tail deer. However, sometime down the road I may be able to expand my big game choices. Anyway, I found one that I really like, for a price I’m willing to pay.

It’s a CVA SR4911S Scout V2 Break Open, Stainless barrel with Black Stock.

Does anyone have comments or criticisms on this rifle?
Or the CVA Scout V2 in any caliber?

My other question concerns ammo. It is in short supply and crazy expensive when you find it. I already reload ammo. The components are available for the 35 Whelen cartridges. I would just need to get the dies, brass and projectiles. I’m set on suitable powder and primers.

Second question: Has anyone started out with a caliber and only shot hand loaded ammo? No factory ammo.

I hope I have been clear on my information needs. If not, feel free to ask for more information.

The pistol version of the CVA is on my short list to replace my Ruger American in 300bo.

Hand load only? Sure thing, assuming you have brass or can get it... one of them chicken vs egg things ya know?

My 300 bo is/was heading that way, though I did get 3 boxes of factory ammo for brass. Was going to form my own from 223 but things got complex and steps added and I figured since I was feeding a single shot I should just buy some brass so I did ...

My 762x39 is almost all reloads for my bolt gun

My 223 is all reloads

The pistol version of the CVA is on my short list to replace my Ruger American in 300bo.

Hand load only? Sure thing, assuming you have brass or can get it... one of them chicken vs egg things ya know?

I don't have the brass. Even that is hard to find. I was planning to get and resize 30-06 brass. It seems readily available.

Projectiles are available. Mostly in the 200 grain size. I figured that was a good size for white-tails.

I don't have the brass. Even that is hard to find. I was planning to get and resize 30-06 brass. It seems readily available.

Projectiles are available. Mostly in the 200 grain size. I figured that was a good size for white-tails.

I can only say "go for it"

I actually know of a shop that may have a box of factory ammo on the shelf, dunno if it is for sale or if they'd be willing to ship. Will be about a month before I pass by again, but if I remember and look I'll drop you a pm

The 35 Whelen is a very good round.
Another round that you might look at is a 338-06. I honestly think the 338-06 is the way I would go. I have shot one a bit and if the owner would have agreed I would have bought it.

The 35 Whelen is a very good round.
Another round that you might look at is a 338-06. I honestly think the 338-06 is the way I would go. I have shot one a bit and if the owner would have agreed I would have bought it.
I spent weeks, even months studying the two rounds Armed with either you will be good. It really is a toss up in my opinion. I chose the 35 Whelen with a bit quicker twist than what Remington used. My only intention was to use it for elk. So I use 250 grain bullets. I have an inventory of 300 grain Barnes originals it shoots well also.

Ive got a CVA Scout 45/70 (sml conversion) and i am super impressed with the quality of it. It seems better built than the Accura, which i think is a great gun. I think you’ll be pretty happy with a Scout if thats the gun you choose.

I've got one cause cheaper than a #1 ( I have 11) and I like single shots. Had 100 rounds new '06, no problem sizing up in one stroke. 250 gr cast GC. It's a kicker or I'm gittin older. The muzzle brake is TOO LOUD I opted for the recoil. Health problems currently keeping me from wringing it out. Nice trigger! Not many of my guns have ever seen a factory round.

I have a cva apex in 45-70 and one in 35 whelen and my first experience resizing brass from one caliber to another was with a browning lever action in 358 Winchester I bought over twenty years ago. I bought rcbs dies for both calibers and the resize the brass easily.

Hi all and thanks for looking at my post. My topic involves a few questions.

I have been itching for a 35 Whelen since I first heard about the caliber. It seems like a rifle for any North American big game. Mind you, I only hunt white-tail deer. However, sometime down the road I may be able to expand my big game choices. Anyway, I found one that I really like, for a price I’m willing to pay.

It’s a CVA SR4911S Scout V2 Break Open, Stainless barrel with Black Stock.

Does anyone have comments or criticisms on this rifle?
Or the CVA Scout V2 in any caliber?

My other question concerns ammo. It is in short supply and crazy expensive when you find it. I already reload ammo. The components are available for the 35 Whelen cartridges. I would just need to get the dies, brass and projectiles. I’m set on suitable powder and primers.

Second question: Has anyone started out with a caliber and only shot hand loaded ammo? No factory ammo.

I hope I have been clear on my information needs. If not, feel free to ask for more information.
I started from scratch with 35 Whelen when it was a wildcat. When Remington decided to chamber it in the 80's I then switched to a .35 Brown-Whelen. Improved Whelen with shoulder moved forward and sharper angle.

I had investigated the Brown-Whelen also. Even the 400 Brown Whelen. Whens a guy stop???? I already have a 338 Win Mag for Elk hunting sowhy did I even need a Whelen???? (because it was there). 😀
The Brown-Whelen with a Speer 250 gr comes shockingly close to the 375 H&H mag with a 270 gr bullet.

Back