35 Whelen and Ammo

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Im reading it correctly a 35 Whelen is on the allowed list of cartridges for Iowa gun season. For the life of me I dont know why. I have to be reading it wrong. Somebody tell me if Im wrong.

I'm not from Iowa, I'm in Indiana, but I think it would be legal. Oh, and I agree, it's very difficult to figure out what's in or out. Their regulations need to be better explained. I think a lot of State's game regulations are intentionally vague, just to keep us confused.

https://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Dee...500-in-or-out-of-the-range-of-what-s-legal-66
The 35 Whelen is a .358 projectile. That's in the zone for 350 - 500 cartridges.

Its a great round, but good luck finding ammo, I have a Remington bolt action in it I got from my grandfather, Have taken a couple whitetail with it here in IN.

That’s why most of us who have a 358 winchester or 35 whelen make our own ammunition. When I first bought my 358 blr the gun shop didn’t have any ammunition for and told me that they make it once a year. That’s why I started making my own and glad I did because I didn’t see it anywhere for probably ten years. That said I have never bought ammunition for it just rolled my own.

Its a great round, but good luck finding ammo, I have a Remington bolt action in it I got from my grandfather, Have taken a couple whitetail with it here in IN.
I've been shopping around and it is not available anywhere I've looked. At most stores, when I ask, they just say, "that's a hard round to get." I'm just gonna start with reloading and go from there.

I hunted with my buddy and his sons at their properties in southeast Iowa the 2nd gun season a few weeks back. We had a great time ''party hunting''. My buddy used his 35 Whelen exclusively. Hand loaded 200 grainers at 2900 FPS. He waylaid a truck load of venison with his 35. I now see how black holes are created.

Attachments

• A7F52282-C671-4C42-9237-A92BD733943A.jpeg
    A7F52282-C671-4C42-9237-A92BD733943A.jpeg
    646.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 9F8655BC-1398-4186-87F6-96B326AE57B4.jpeg
    9F8655BC-1398-4186-87F6-96B326AE57B4.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 1
I was able to christen my CVA 45-70 on a few myself while hunting his place.
Wow, haven't seen a three wheeler in 40 yrs. Didn't know any were still alive ! Nice deer with the 45/70 one of my favs, 2 TDs and a #1 tropical in same.

Those are some outstanding bucks. Nice work. Congrats!

I finally got my 35 Whelen all together, it has taken nearly a month to get the rifle, scope, dies and bullet components together. I had to order from many different vendors. But it’s finally happening.

My rifle is CVA Scout V2 Break Open 35 Whelen with a 25″ ported barrel. I couldn’t be happier with the feel of this rifle.

My scope is a Vortex Vanquish 3-9X40 Dead-Hold BDC Reticle. MidwayUSA had them on sale for half price. I bore sighted the scope and have it locked down.

I bought once fired brass from fancybrassco.com. Sizing my brass was not too difficult. I had problems with an occasional split neck. But, thanks to Fancy Brass being generous, I still ended up with 97 pieces of sized brass

I have made several different bullets. Left to right are Hornady 200 gr JSP Interlock, 180 gr Hornady XTP, 180 gr Cast Performance Flat Nose Gas Check and just for fun 158 gr JHP (brand unknown). I’m sure I will use the 200 gr JSP for deer. The others are for fun and plinking. I may be able to use some of the 180 gr for varmints.

The earliest I can visit the range is Thursday. I’m sure you know I am very anxious.

Thanks so much to all of the members who were helpful and encouraging. This is just a great forum with great people!

Attachments

• Fullsize.JPG
    Fullsize.JPG
    8.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Midsize.JPG
    Midsize.JPG
    12.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Bullets.JPG
    Bullets.JPG
    13.8 MB · Views: 0
I’ve done a little bit of load development using the 200 grn interlock. I will have to refer to my notes and get back to you on powder and charge. All published data. Mine is a rebarreled 1903 Springfield bolt gun.

Attachments

• 3B8C63C9-43BD-4706-A876-F43A28531808.jpeg
    3B8C63C9-43BD-4706-A876-F43A28531808.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 0
I have been hunting for 53 years been handloading for almost half that time if not more
most all of my guns have never shot a factory round through them
I have a 35 Whelen (model 70 Super Grade) and don't shoot light bullets out of it
it was really designed to best the 06 with heavier bullets which it does very favorably
I mainly shoot 225 gr for deer and mine loves 250 gr Hornady's
cup and core bullets if you shoot lighter try Barnes monometal bullets they tend to run longer in length for their weight
most any slow to medium powder works well in this case
you can find brass every where just use 30-06 brass if you have to
It has been called the poor man's 375 H&H Magnum and is capable of taking all of North American game

I finally got my 35 Whelen all together, it has taken nearly a month to get the rifle, scope, dies and bullet components together. I had to order from many different vendors. But it’s finally happening.

My rifle is CVA Scout V2 Break Open 35 Whelen with a 25″ ported barrel. I couldn’t be happier with the feel of this rifle.

My scope is a Vortex Vanquish 3-9X40 Dead-Hold BDC Reticle. MidwayUSA had them on sale for half price. I bore sighted the scope and have it locked down.

I bought once fired brass from fancybrassco.com. Sizing my brass was not too difficult. I had problems with an occasional split neck. But, thanks to Fancy Brass being generous, I still ended up with 97 pieces of sized brass

I have made several different bullets. Left to right are Hornady 200 gr JSP Interlock, 180 gr Hornady XTP, 180 gr Cast Performance Flat Nose Gas Check and just for fun 158 gr JHP (brand unknown). I’m sure I will use the 200 gr JSP for deer. The others are for fun and plinking. I may be able to use some of the 180 gr for varmints.

The earliest I can visit the range is Thursday. I’m sure you know I am very anxious.

Thanks so much to all of the members who were helpful and encouraging. This is just a great forum with great people!
Bring good hearing protection, mines LOUD with the muzzle brake! I used once fired military match '06, no crimp and annealed necks mean no split necks during upsizing..Lynxcat

I'm Going to be honest. I was thinking a Mauser 98 with a 24" barrel and a Winchester style safety when first thinking about this build. The controlled round feeding, and safety makes me think the rifle belongs on a moose hunt in Alaska. Where a big bear might be in the area.

Back