Opinions, please: will this scope do as a backup up?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountain Man

Reaction score
Well, since I've not been very confident in my Burris Fullfield II for some time, and since I've ruled out about every other cause of such poor groups (2.5" to 4"), I think I need to take steps to verify that that it's the scope or rule that problem out, too. I think Burris is a good brand, but I can hardly imagine it being anything other than the scope at this point. And, I guess even the Sightrons, Leupolds, and others conk out on occasion.

I looked at a bore sight/collumnator (sp?), but didn't see any very good way to index it radially within the bore with any real accuracy (after all, we're talking about tenths and hundredths of a degree of difference here). I called Burris, they said it would be about a two week turnaround time. Since there are only three weekends between now and ML season, that makes me nervous, ESPECIALLY if Burris were to send it back saying that the scope was fine all along! :eek: Then I'd have to start figuring out why the gun won't do better than 3" groups anymore. :(

Anyway, I figured if I was going to spend $37 to overnight the scope to Burris, I might as well spend a little more, buy a new scope of a lesser quality than I would use for my primary scope, mount it and see if things come back together. So, I paid $79.95 plus tax for a Bushnell Banner 3-9 x 40mm. If things come back together, then I can send the Fullfield back to Burris and go ahead and sight in with the Bushnell until the Burris gets back. I got a second set of rings that will work with the Warne Maxima quick release bases, so when the Burris gets back (if it is bad), I can leave the Bushnell sighted in and go back to work on the Burris. If the Burris isn't bad, I guess I've just got a backup scope.

Here's my question for you before I go and mar up the finish on the Busnell by putting it in rings: do you think a Busnell Banner 3-9 x 40mm has enough likelihood of holding up to 10ML loads to be worth spending the $87.00 on? If you think it's likely to croak after a couple dozen shots, I'll just return it and take the risk that I won't get the Burris back before season. I sure wouldn't mind having a backup I can always slap on the gun, though, even if it's not up to par with the Burris, or a Leupold, Zeiss, or Sightron. It would just be for getting by on until the Burris could be repaired. And, no, I can't afford a second high-dollar scope like Leupold, Burris, Zeiss, Nikon, Sightron, etc.

So, in all honesty, what would you recommend? Keep the Bushnell Banner or return it?

In all honesty I don't think the banner is worth messing with. I had one a long time ago that was trashed in only a few shots. In your situation what I'd do is get the open sights on and keep my shots inside 100 yds if the Burris doesn't get back in time. Then your only out the shipping on the Burris.

well.... tough question.

I agree with Wolfhound here... BUT since you have the scope, I would give it a shot. In your price range, there are better options like a simmons .44 mag.. but you already have the scope...

I would give it a shot and see how things turn out. If the scope lasts 40 rds. it will most likely last. If not, time to go back to the burris.

Good luck!

It's a crap shoot. I have used banners before on slugguns. Sometimes they hold up, sometimes not. I did have one that lasted 5 years on my sons slug gun. I think you should shoot your Savage at 50 yds with irons from the bench to see if it is a gun problem. Your Burris might have crapped the bed, but who knows. If you have another rifle, preferably a centerfire you might but it on that rifle and see if it works. However I do think you better sight in with irons, cause that maybe what you end up hunting with this year.

agree with Wolfhound here... BUT since you have the scope, I would give it a shot. In your price range, there are better options like a simmons .44 mag.. but you already have the scope...

I agree and the 44 Mag IS a better option in the price range. The Bushnell Trophy 3-9 would have also been a better option in this price range as would a Swift 3-9X40. However, since you have the scope...heck USE IT! It will probably be just fine for the short time you are going to use it.

My brother has a banner 3-9x40 on his disc elite that now refuses to hold zero. It was purchased close to a year ago and he just started having problems with it in the last couple months. He's going to get it fixed and get rid of it for an Elite 3200 I believe.

I had a grouping / zero problem recently when I put a new scope on my .308. I swapped back to my old scope, and the problem turned out to be the gun. Bedding issues, and an ammo problem. (Alliant no longer makes RE-12!) Anyway, continued shooting now has the gun shooting OK again with the old scope. So, I think I can put the new one back on.

If you are local to someone on this list who has a spare scope or 2, we could loan you one to try.

Latest posts

Back