Optima shim instructions?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Optima shim instructions?

zach.trumble said:
Thanks, I will try the o-rings first

Thank you for your time
It's entirely possible that the o-ring will be able to compensate for a recessed firing pin bushing. As long as the recess is only a few .001.

There's different ways to achieve primer crush.
I did recommend shims in primer pocket.

McMaster Carr offers shims that measure.248 o.d. spring steel.
You can get many shims cheap and install as needed to fix your rifle and also fix many friends Muzzleloaders as well. SSimply add shims to get .002 to .006 primer crush.
This will work with many brand Muzzleloaders.

Also this method wont need replaced like oring or have to deal with shims when cleaning firing pin
Simple install shims in primer pocket and done.

bestill said:
There's different ways to achieve primer crush.
I did recommend shims in primer pocket.

McMaster Carr offers shims that measure.248 o.d. spring steel.
You can get many shims cheap and install as needed to fix your rifle and also fix many friends Muzzleloaders as well. SSimply add shims to get .002 to .006 primer crush.
This will work with many brand Muzzleloaders.

Also this method wont need replaced like oring or have to deal with shims when cleaning firing pin
Simple install shims in primer pocket and done.

Is the i.d. of the primer pocket in the Optima breech plug .241 or .248?

Most primer are .242-.243
So pocket most likely.244
.248 shims will press in pocket and stay
The .241 shims will fall out.
Some use .241 to test fit and then install.248 shims as final

CVA primer sockets are large, say 'loose'. CVA primer sockets run from 0.250" to 0.252". The large 0.248" shim will fall right out?

Knight and TC sockets are more smaller, say 'tighter'. The large shims will stay put.

It seems the CVA shim kit is the 'best' way to adjust 'head space' in CVA rifles??

ronlaughlin said:
CVA primer sockets are large, say 'loose'. CVA primer sockets run from 0.250" to 0.252". The large 0.248" shim will fall right out?

Knight and TC sockets are more smaller, say 'tighter'. The large shims will stay put.

It seems the CVA shim kit is the 'best' way to adjust 'head space' in CVA rifles??

^^^^^I believe this is correct.^^^^^^^

Euro primers which are larger OD go right in a CVA plug but wont begin to start in my Savage or Knight plugs. I strongly believe in keeping as much of the primer IN the primer pocket as possible. When you shim a primer pocket, less primer is in the primer pocket.

Rangerod

And yes adjusting the bushing flush is head spacing. That is what head space means. CVA does not want you to shim the bushing to the point of a crush on the primer. Its a blanket statement to keep the uninformed or unskilled from having an accident. A slight primer crush in the CVAs works just fine if you stick with the same primer. Due to the design you may not get as much crush as a Knight.

I would suggest a .002-.003 on the primer of your choice and verify the action closes and the hammer cocks. Slam it shut a few times on some new primers too. Too much crush can possibly cause it to fire when closing the action.

Finally got time to work on this. I have no primer crush at all. So that could explain the very dirty receiver & firing pin assembly after only 10 shots or so.

I ordered some of the o-rings.

The recommended o-rings mentioned earlier in this tread now give a .005" crush.

Is that too much?

The hammer stays cocked.

What Brand primer?

I have right at .005 crush on my win 209 but that is in a Knight UL. You would not want any more.

Using rubber o-rings.

Regular CCI primers.

Snapped a couple different ones in and none fired.

I just used the o-rings in 3 different CVA rifles for a while because it was easy and it worked. I finally got the CVA shim kits for them and just took the time to sit down and shim the firing pin bushing on all of them for a slight crush with Winchester 209 primers. I wish I had done it sooner. It's not difficult to do, it works and you never have to worry about an o-ring again.

Latest posts

Back