Sabot issue?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve never really paid attention to my sabots until I started down the smokeless muzzleloader rabbit hole. Is this normal for a sabot? This was shot out of a CVA Optima V2 pistol. 240g XTP over 60g weighed of BH209. The one on the left has not been shot.

IMG_6098.jpegIMG_6096.jpeg

I’ve never really paid attention to my sabots until I started down the smokeless muzzleloader rabbit hole. Is this normal for a sabot? This was shot out of a CVA Optima V2 pistol. 240g XTP over 60g weighed of BH209. The one on the left has not been shot.

View attachment 39835View attachment 39836
Why arent the front peddles peeled back? The bottom cup looks like you're pushing pressure pretty good, the front looks like it hasnt been fired to me

This was the only one I could find after my abbreviated range session today. I had a series of misfires and hang fires before I called it a day. I was a little frustrated. First couple of shots were good to go and then everything went south about shot #4.

I was running 90gr. By volume of bh209 with a 240 and 200xtp. They looked the same.

It’s from being shot from A short barreled pistol..shoot it in low light and you will see exactly what I mean..the powder is still trying to burn as it exits the bore…another reason why it’s borderline useless to use much more than 70 grains in a pistol length barrel.

And btw bh209 is a bit of a slouch when used in pistols since it’s a progressive burning powder. When I switched to 777 3f I gained quite a bit of velocity in the short barreled pistols I have

Last edited:
I wonder if simply a case of not enough velocity to open the petals up? The .44 sabot being thicker than the .45. Might want to try a 45 cal In a black crush rib. Shooting out of a pistol with a short barrel may also be a factor.
^^^^^^^^^^
I would try this. In a rifle, I always had better accuracy with 45 cal bullets than 44 cal bullets. Back before I started with a rifle, I had a CVA Optima V1 pistol. I brought it from a pawn shop. I let a buddy of mine have it to hunt with. He had shoulder surgery and was unable to hunt with a rifle. From what I can remember he used the smooth black MMP sabots and 45 cal bullets. It must have been accurate because I never got the pistol back....lol....

It’s from being shot from A short barreled pistol..shoot it in low light and you will see exactly what I mean..the powder is still trying to burn as it exits the bore…another reason why it’s borderline useless to use much more than 70 grains in a pistol length barrel.

And btw bh209 is a bit of a slouch when used in pistols since it’s a progressive burning powder. When I switched to 777 3f I gained quite a bit of velocity in the short barreled pistols I have

I shoot 63 weighed grains of BH209 [90+/- by volume] while hunting and using a 225 grain .429 XPB Barnes bullet in a plain green sabot and never see anything like that in a spent sabot. I use the same weight of FFFg T7 with a green sabot and a 240 grain bullet at the range and never see sabots that look like that. When I shoot those two loads over fresh snow I see zero unburned powder in the area of the blast so I'm getting complete burns with both powders. My loading pressure to seat the bullet/sabot is quite a bit harder with the green sabots vs the green crush rib and I believe that makes the difference.

I retrieve all of my sabots and keep the spent primers in the order they fired. The Optima pistol is the only gun I use a green sabot in so there's zero confusion as far as what sabot came from what gun.

My green sabots look just like my black and light blue sabots do from their respective guns.

I have a plethora of 44 cal bullets and green sabots, so I’ll stick with them for now. I won’t be hunting with this gun for now so it’s just play time with it. I will hopefully be able to hit the range today and give 777 a shot.

I shoot 63 weighed grains of BH209 [90+/- by volume] while hunting and using a 225 grain .429 XPB Barnes bullet in a plain green sabot and never see anything like that in a spent sabot. I use the same weight of FFFg T7 with a green sabot and a 240 grain bullet at the range and never see sabots that look like that. When I shoot those two loads over fresh snow I see zero unburned powder in the area of the blast so I'm getting complete burns with both powders. My loading pressure to seat the bullet/sabot is quite a bit harder with the green sabots vs the green crush rib and I believe that makes the difference.

I retrieve all of my sabots and keep the spent primers in the order they fired. The Optima pistol is the only gun I use a green sabot in so there's zero confusion as far as what sabot came from what gun.

My green sabots look just like my black and light blue sabots do from their respective guns.
I am not sure how to explain it then..we got similar results with my buddies optima pistol as well as my cut down omega pistol..

I am not sure then how to explain it..those sabots pictured were from my scout pistol using real black.the only rbi k I can think is the real black burned hot and started to melt the sabots when exiting the bore….but we got very similar results with my buddies optima pistol as well as my cut down omega pistol.. neither of those guns folded the sabot over but they did flare it and we both started to lose velocity when charges got upwards of 80 grains..the scout lost velocity around 75 grains where the optima and omega planed out and started to lose it around 80

Latest posts

Back