Orange Colored Film on Knight Disc Elite Rust on Stainless?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LFM

Reaction score
I am hoping someone here can help me out with this. I got this Knight Disc Elite in Stainless with a Composite Stock last year about this time. I read that there is some type of coating or something to keep it good until someone buys it, so I went over the rifle a few times and this year I sighted it in and got it ready for Muzzleloading Season here in Michigan. It open on Friday Dec 8th, we had snow and 24 degree weather on Friday. The Stainless part of barrel started getting a film on it like rust. It is a red/orange color when I wipe it down. I got home to do a light cleaning since I am heading out again next weekend but wondering what is with this discoloring of the barrel?

I have other Stainless Steel Rifles and never had this...

Is it I just did not get all of the coating they put on when new or is it rust? What is the best way to clean a Stainless Muzzleloader like this? What to use? I go over it with the Knight Cleaning Patches. Seems there is also small black specs on it also???

Love this Muzzleloader and just how accurate it is, any information on what this is and if others have had an issue like this would be nice to know... And what to do to keep this from happening again?

Thanks,
Mike / LFM

Stainless Steel is not stainless steel. Stainless was a term that some steel company used as a trademark of sorts. The word has since become generic. Stainless steel should properly be referred to as stain resistant steel.

You probably have a bit of rust caused by the various oxidizers in blackpowder and blackpowder replacements. If it does not wipe off with oiled patches try fine bronze wool and oil. In most cases other than severe neglect the rust on the exterior won't amount to anything more than a minor cosmetic blemish.

Over the years I have looked at several stainless steel muzzleloader barrels that the lands and grooves were ruined. Stainless rusts too, just a bit slower than non-stainless steels.

So what I heard a few years back about using hot water to clean muzzleloaders is not the way to do so, even though I have yet to try that. I guess I just will put some "Inhibitor" on it and continue to do so from now on out... I never seen that on Stainless but I guess when you use water only and not an oil as many suggest to clean your weapon most of these have a water base and will make it corride...

Thanks I will just clean it like I do after getting the powder out of it then lightly oil it after each use...

Appreciate the information...

Regards,
Mike / LFM

I've had an MK85 in stainless for 12 years. All I've ever used to clean the crud out of it was hot soapy water. You shouldn't have issues with rust as long as you make sure the gun is completely dry and lightly oiled before you put it away.

I only had it out for three days last weekend in Newaygo County and it was okay till Saturday evening it had this orange film on it... It was in the 20's Friday and 30's on Saturday and 40's on Sunday that is the second time I had it out I wipe it off with a clean towl type cloth before I head out with it in the gun case other wise it is in a Gun Safe the rest of the time very dry conditions otherwise so it had to be the cold weather is all I can think. never had any snow come in contact with any part of the Stainless just the Butt when I would stop and glass a distance away yet the entire Stainless part was covered... I hate to put water on it if it is going to get this but I will now be sure i put sometype of scent free oil on it before I head out for any hunting...

Thanks,
Mike / LFM

It does sound like a coating of surface rust. I have had this show up on my MK95 mag Elite and just wiped it off with an oiled rag. Best guess is it was caused by a light coat of moisture when put away. When you come into a warm house after hunting in the cold temps all day it can cause a small amount of condensation as the metal warms back up to room temp. I have also seen this happen to a stainless Browning A-Bolt too. I just wipe mine down with a lightly oiled rag after the days hunt and have not had a problem since. You can clean with Warm/Hot water and not have a problem as long as you follow up with a good lubricant. I have cleaned my Mountain rifle for the last 20+ years with hot water and Ivory Snow. Then just chased the water out of the barrel with WD40 and a couple of Dry patches. Then lubed with Sheath oil or Breakfree oil. Bore is still nice and clean, no rust.

ShawnT

I can't believe that because it was fine until I used it out hunting for three days in cold snowy weather, it was 28 degrees and it was snowy the first weekend of Muzzleloading in Zone 2 here in Michigan. It was not there prior to it and I like to wipe off the oil on it before I hunt because of the scent some oils leave behind on your trail on the way to your stand and deer sometimes smell this and avoid the area it is coming from... Some oils have a strong ordor to them... I will have to find one that is ordorless and hope that stops this from happening. the weather is never good especially the rain, and extreme cold makes the barrel seem to sweat more in the extreme temps...

Now if there deer woulkd have cooperated then it might have been good but no deer for me during 2006; Archery, Rifle or Muzzleloading... Maybe next year it will be better!!!

Mike/LFM

After a Knight sits around for a few years the oil preserative used during packaging final dries out. The resulting residue is a hard orange, brown film and I have had a couple of old Bighorns arrive in this condition. This may be what you see on your rifle?
A friend of mine got one Knight with some of this old oil so thick and soild it nearly plugged his barrel. Infact his first trip to the range he was un able to seat a bullet because of the blockage. I always comletely strip a new rifle and hand clean every part prior to fireing the first shot.

Back