Other than Knight Rifles, who do you recommend for an accurate factory muzzle loader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc22

Reaction score
I’ve got a CVA Accura V2 that I’ve been getting 3-4 inch groups consistently at 100 yards with a Leupold VX Muzzle Loader Scope. I guess I just want better than that and will likely sell my CVA. What other muzzle loaders would you recommend besides Knight? I’m saying besides them at this time because I can’t reach anyone via phone and e-mail is intermittent at this time.

Is a Thompson Center Pro Hunter a better bet? Something else?

Thank you!

You can get an Encore frame and a MGM/Haus of Arms/ASG 45cal barrel for it. ASG offered the barrel in a Brux or the MGM 5r. Still gunna be rather heavy but not terrible.
https://matchgrademachine.com/custom-thompson-center-muzzleloader-barrel/

At around $800 Woodman Arms offers the Patriot rifle in a 45cal 1-24 using a McGowen barrel. It is quite light and he does offer some custom orders as well. A 1-20 is an additional $200 and might be a Brux but im not certain. Woodman Arms Outdoor Sports Shop

Last edited:
No i dont but Ron here on the forum has one.

Brux is a brand of barrel and a extremely good brand too. Cut rifled instead of button rifled. Very uniform and extremely popular with the SML builders too. Woodman and Luke from Arrowhead are also forum members.

I have a knight and it just sits in my safe since I bought a CVA Optima V2. Using either 90 or 100 grains of B209 and the 300 grain Scorpion PT Gold I get consistent three shot groups that hover around 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" at a 100yds off a bench. Have killed five deer in the last three years with it and have zero complaints on its accuracy.

I have a knight and it just sits in my safe since I bought a CVA Optima V2. Using either 90 or 100 grains of B209 and the 300 grain Scorpion PT Gold I get consistent three shot groups that hover around 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" at a 100yds off a bench. Have killed five deer in the last three years with it and have zero complaints on its accuracy.
I’m sure I could play around with the Accura V2 and find a load...

I have an Accura V2 and it has superb accuracy. Are you positive the base and rings are tight and loctited? Have you tried different bullets or sabots? What about powder charge weights/volumes?

I have an Accura V2 and it has superb accuracy. Are you positive the base and rings are tight and loctited? Have you tried different bullets or sabots? What about powder charge weights/volumes?
I’ve tried the following:
- 100 grains of white hots with the 250 grain powerbelt aerolites
- 80 , 90 and 100 grains by volume of blackhorn 209 w/ barnes TMZ 250 grains

I’m 100% sure scope base is tight, to 20 inch pounds with red 272 loctite. Rings were torqued to 15 inch pounds. No cross bolts as it is the CVA branded scope mount. Scope was a Leupold VX Muzzleloader 3-9x40. I have a scope tracking tool so I can also eliminate that it is the scope not adjusting properly.

Perhaps with heavier bullets (what CVA recommended when I talked to them) it would group better.

I cleaned between shots with Montana Extremes blackhorn 209 solution. Cleaned the break plug with a drill bit and some pretty abrasive pipe cleaners I have.

Wish I could do that with my V2 LR. 1.5” is the best I’ve gotten. My Whites do much better....

I’m 100% sure scope base is tight, to 20 inch pounds with red 272 loctite. Rings were torqued to 15 inch pounds. No cross bolts as it is the CVA branded scope mount. Scope was a Leupold VX Muzzleloader 3-9x40. I have a scope tracking tool so I can also eliminate that it is the scope not adjusting properly.

Perhaps with heavier bullets (what CVA recommended when I talked to them) it would group better.

I cleaned between shots with Montana Extremes blackhorn 209 solution. Cleaned the break plug with a drill bit and some pretty abrasive pipe cleaners I have.

I started with 300 grain XTPs in the 45 cal with black Harvester sabots and 100 volume grains of BH209. I had 1.25" to 1.50" grouping at 100 yards. I moved up to 110 volume grains of 209 powder and nothing changed but the recoil. Staying at the 110 volume grains I tried the .44 cal XTPs in 300 grain with a green Harvester and the group came down to about an inch at 100. But the recoil was still there. My next move was to the 250 grain .45 cal XTP in a black sabot, staying with the 110 volume grain charge and the recoil was less and the group actually tightened down even a bit more. I shot several deer with the last load combo but then decided to try the copper Barnes and now shoot/hunt the 250 grain , .45 cal XPB with the same 110 grain by volume charge and black sabot easily into a group about 7/8" at 100 yards if I do my part. You have about $200.00 more scope than I have on my gun, but mine works just fine with the Accura V2 and honestly I have no intention of changing a thing. I do not believe I can get it or myself any more accurate and the recoil is very manageable both off a bench and off-hand.

My Optima V2 pistol was started on .45 cal XTP bullets at 250 grain and charge weight was worked up 5 grains at a time from 75 by volume to the current 90 and I had reasonable accuracy. I tried a .44 cal 240grain XTP, again working the load level up by 5 grains at a time from 75 to 90 with green sabots. The straight green sabots were a little tough loading so I switched to crush ribs and not only was loading easier but the groups at 50 yards were right down there with what I got with the Accura rifle. Switching to Barnes XPBs in .44 cal in the pistol using the 90 grain charge still provides the same level of accuracy.

Bottom line is that one has to shoot different bullet weights, different calibers and with differing load levels to ferret out which is the most accurate and comfortable to shoot. Sabots can make a difference between brands and petal style [three petal vs four petal for instance]. Primers can make a difference.

Another thing that can come into play is the break-in of the gun itself. They all break-in differently even amongst like brands and models. I shot my guns a lot when they were new so I could learn their little qwirks and they do have them. Both of my V2 gun's accuracy seemed to really come alive after about 70 rounds thru each of them. If for no other reason, go shoot the guns to get yourself and the gun on the same page then start looking to develop the accuracy and I think you'll be much happier.

I can usually tell at the range within three or four shots if my mojo isn't a happening thing on any given day. If I am off, I bag it up and go home. I just know myself well enough to know that if it isn't working not to fight it. I've watched friends at the club shoot until they are seriously black and blue because they're too stubborn to realize that it them, not the gun, that's off. Stay aware of yourself when you're digging for accuracy and if things are not "just right", switch guns or pack it up so you're not simply promoting a bad habit.

Any of the V2s are great guns and very capable of super good 100-200 yard accuracy. Grab several bullets in varying weights and work up powder charges for each along with different sabots and hit the range often. You'll find a load the delivers exactly what you are looking for.

My Accura v2 stainless just cut a 3 shot 1 &1/8 inch group yesterday with 90 grs by volume of BH209 with 300 gr Power belt Aeros. May be capable of better accuracy but right shoulder needs rotator cuff surgery, and I'm feeling the recoil, so no 200 yd groups yet.
Have not used these on game yet so I cant speak to that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201111-074535.png
    Screenshot_20201111-074535.png
    72.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My Accura V2 shoots very well, I only clean after about every 6 shots shooting 90 grains by volume BH 209 and Harvester 260 grain scorpions. I have a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9 X 40 Ultimate Slam on mine.

Fwiw my accura PR shoots patterns, not groups with 250s. Give the 300s a try before you get rid of it. Mine also doesn't shoot worth a poot unless the barrels dirty. But a dirty barrel and 300s boasts exceptional accuracy

Acura mountain rifle 70 grains by weight of black horn fury 250 star tip half inch groups all day .I have shot this load in three other Acuras that I've given to family members same thing all shot it under an inch at a hundred yards if I did my part,,,any CVA Acura that I buy or shoot in the future it will be the first load I go to

Acura mountain rifle 70 grains by weight of black horn fury 250 star tip half inch groups all day .I have shot this load in three other Acuras that I've given to family members same thing all shot it under an inch at a hundred yards if I did my part,,,any CVA Acura that I buy or shoot in the future it will be the first load I go to
I'd like to know a bit more about this Fury bullet you're using. I don't see a 250 gr Star MZ, only 275 and 325. Do you shoot it with a felt wad and are you using a sizing die? Maybe you're using the 250gr. 45 cal. Star Tip MZ 2P? And if so, what sabot are you using?

Yes I'm sorry for not clarifying , that is the bullet I'm using ,if you look on his smokeless bullet page you'll see the basic 250 grain star tip That's the bullet that I've had the most success with, I am however shooting the black tip bullet you referred to also this year, a month ago I also shot that 265 grain I think it's STB bullet that he has my new Acura MR that I'm hunting with this year also grouped it around 3/4 of an inch I didn't tweak the powder charge any I'm sure it would have gotten better if I had, I do not shoot a wad ,I do shoot a foul barrel one foul shot and then I hunt with that,,, if you've checked your scope mounts base and you're sure your scope is good I would really focus on your follow-through and your shooting techniques and I don't know your experience you may be an expert shooter I don't mean to imply anything but muzzleloaders especially the break opens have alot of recoil, a lot of people I think cannot handle it consistently,, I shoot in the front rest that fits my stock loosely and just a rear bag for me it just closely mirrors the type of shooting in the field,, I think you can get your Acura to less than an inch

Hornady .430 265g FTX or SST( whatever they are ) MMP GREEN sabot
OR .458 325 gr FTXor SST snd MMP ORANGE sabot.
Have used in multiple CVA’s and found great results.
Fed Copper Bor Locks shot well too. Have taken many whitetail with the above.

Latest posts

Back