Paper patched copper bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundballorconical

Reaction score
With the ever changing political and environmental structure here in Oregon it looks like within the next 2 to 3 years it will be illegal to use lead bullets for hunting. Our Oregon legislature has the numbers on there side and presently pushing thru this year to ban lead shot for bird hunting and lead weights fo Fishing.

IM just trying to get ahead of the curve being I know some of the legislation that they are planning 2022 and 2023. I has used some of the thor bullets with mixed results .

How would you guys especially #Idaholewis # think a .500 cal all copper bullet paper patched work in some .504 whites and some 50 cal Thompson center with removable breech plug. My first reaction is a bullet with more canneluresor relief groove. But I not certain if that is a advantage or disadvantage with paper patched bullets.

I do use a hankins bullet sizer for some of my lead bullets

Any body have any good thoughts? Other than moving, my ancestors came to Oregon in 1845. I can give up yet ?

Looking forward to some input.

ML bullets really need to Obturate to catch the rifling.
I believe, GM, Sabot loader and Ed have posted trying with a sub-bridge base under the copper bullet for a good seal. Doubt you even need the paper if the bullet fits your bore good.

Back