Passing along all of my muzzleloading equipment, sadly it's time

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darn Greg, that's tough, but I'm glad you're hanging in there. I just wrecked my other shoulder 2 days ago when my drill press grabbed and I was holding on to the piece, go for an MRI friday. i think it might end my archery hunting, now it's just camping. I agree, I'm thankful for every day.
Squint

Thanks Squint. It’s all good. I consider myself very fortunate to have had all of the experiences and opportunities that I was given over those years. I saw a lot of things & met some incredible people.
Health wise things are not good, but I can still get out of bed, bathe, feed, and clothe myself so I’m a lot better off than some.

I’m guessing I have one or two more years of hunting left & I will do everything possible to enjoy them if the good Lord allows.

Greg

If the question was directed to me I have numerous reasons but not in any particular order.
We no longer have a muzzloader only season like we did. Tradionally there has been a quiet period after Nov 30 that lasted 10 days or more which allowed the deer to settle back into their regular routines again. Fewer people participated because they either didn’t have a tag left, didn’t have a muzzleloader, or didn’t want to deal with the brutal weather conditions we often experience here in December. It was kind of a last chance, “for the hardcore guys” that enjoyed the challenge of hunting with a somewhat range limited gun, although inlines have made that a moot now.
Now centerfire and straight walled cartridges are allowed and their is no quiet period, just a 30 day extension of the Nov 15-30 regular rifle season

My archery season is done now with a crossbow after using a vertical since 1972, not by choice but because of neccesity. It’s a long season and often my tags are filled before rifle season starts. I would purchase an antlerless tag beforehand so I could legally be out there with no intention of killing anything because the tag was dedicated to our one time special muzzleloader season but that’s no longer a “special” season to me the way things are now.

At some point in life a person has to face the reality that their remaining time is limited.
Some things become more important than others, some things they just can’t do like they once could, and some things, well, the desire is just not there like it was before.

I am at that point in my life.........It’s time
If the question was directed to me I have numerous reasons but not in any particular order.
We no longer have a muzzloader only season like we did. Tradionally there has been a quiet period after Nov 30 that lasted 10 days or more which allowed the deer to settle back into their regular routines again. Fewer people participated because they either didn’t have a tag left, didn’t have a muzzleloader, or didn’t want to deal with the brutal weather conditions we often experience here in December. It was kind of a last chance, “for the hardcore guys” that enjoyed the challenge of hunting with a somewhat range limited gun, although inlines have made that a moot now.
Now centerfire and straight walled cartridges are allowed and their is no quiet period, just a 30 day extension of the Nov 15-30 regular rifle season

My archery season is done now with a crossbow after using a vertical since 1972, not by choice but because of neccesity. It’s a long season and often my tags are filled before rifle season starts. I would purchase an antlerless tag beforehand so I could legally be out there with no intention of killing anything because the tag was dedicated to our one time special muzzleloader season but that’s no longer a “special” season to me the way things are now.

At some point in life a person has to face the reality that their remaining time is limited.
Some things become more important than others, some things they just can’t do like they once could, and some things, well, the desire is just not there like it was before.

I am at that point in my life.........It’s time

I am North of 80 and enjoy hunting with my crossbow, Accura V2 & WIN M70. Wife & I shot these groups with a HW95L this am from the back deck at 25 yards. Her target is on top. Guess I will be shooting until I can't move anymore. We get our 2nd China Virus shot next week.

Nu8bLBuh.jpg

Last edited:
At 74 am still able to enjoy all of hunting.but have to say dragging deer is getting to be a chore.Still hunt out of tree stands but use a safety harness...plan on doing this until my wife or body says give it up...good luck to all you seniors ...keep it going..!!

Oh come on guys. I'm 68 and looking forward to my first year using black powder next year. Yall are only as old as you allow yourself to think you are. I'm in better shape now than when I was 50.

At age 82 i ain't quitting. My tree stands are 12 feet or less and i still climb into the things although low blinds are preferred.

I've drug deer a couple of times in my life, and it is hard work. If you have the time, as all of us retired folks should, I find it much easier to butcher the animal in the field. I can butcher a cow elk in aobut 3 hours. Then I only carry out the meat. If it is cool, you can take as many trips as you need. My buddy and I downed two bull elk 5 miles from the truck one warm October afternoon. By the time we got them butchered, the sun was behind the mountain, and it had cooled down. We took one load out that night, and when we got back in the morning, the meat was nice and cool. We did two more trips that day, and had it all in the ice chest by 1:00 pm. I sympathize with all of you with health issues. I'm 67 and I wrecked my shoulder last summer and had to learn to shoot right handed. I tore my miniscus on a backpack trip, so I walk slower now.

I helped two young hunters get their first game animals this year, and another get his first antelope. Mentoring young hunters makes them want to go with you. I've mentored some really big guys, so they could just throw the deer over their shoulders and carry it out for me. I get almost as excited watching someone else get their animal as I do shooting it myself. I can tell by the posts that hunting is a passion for all of us. Surveys have shown that no one in the woods is having as much fun as hunters are.

I know what you mean.

My friends and I started muzzleloader hunting, and did that for a few years.
MI then changes to an "any legal weapon" season in December as you note, and the Ruger 450 Bushmasters take over. We haven't used the muzzleloaders now in a few years, though I did get close this year. I think I'll take them out next year anyway, as the muzzleloader is just fun to use. However, I'm not sure I need all the ones I own if MI is going to keep these rules.

Good luck with the crossbow and centerfire.

Latest posts

Back