Patriot .45 tomorrow morning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawgslayer1

Reaction score
:cry:
Tomorrow is the first time I'm going to the range without my .58.......Hopefully this new .45 cal Patriot pistol will make for an enjoyable day. :cheers: :cheers:  I cleaned the hell out of when I got it and called TOW with a nice order the filled my shooting bag with .45 cal equipment.
I'll be shooting a .440 Hornady lead ball,  20/25 grains of OE 2F  .015 patch with Jonathan's anti rust and lube and CCI primers will get it all started. I'll be shooting at the 25 yard bench and off a rest at first. 
Hope the day stay's nice.

Ray................( Received my deer permits, tags today :)

Have a good time, Ray.

That nipple is real short so make sure the cap is seated all the way down. I think I use # 10 caps on mine. I haven't shot it in a while so I don't remember for sure.

Also, try not to use the bench on the back of the grip when you seat the ball. I've read where people have broken the stock that way.
Just put it in your off hand and use hand pressure to seat it with your strong hand.

I have held my Patriot between my knees when loading the ball (barrel facing down range, of course). Why? Same reason as indicated by patocazador.
Ron

I built a loading stand with one section (on the left) configured for the Patriot.
KdpSdU.jpg

The section on the left is the "Patriot"  portion. Under the carpet are pieces of  high density foam with the thickest piece at the back and the thinnest to the front. The idea is that pushing down on the muzzle while loading reduces the force on the grip opposite the muzzle and distributes it down and then horizontally.
M0gDmV.jpg

The force of loading goes down the barrel, to the stock to the grip and down the grip.
At least that is the idea.
Ron

Ron,
That is pretty cool. One day when I get some time I'm going to make a better stand. I made one but it looks more like a stand for the black powder Remington army. 
I want you to know that I did just what you and Bob said about the stand and the stock cracking.
I started the ball with the short starter but then I held the pistol in my hand and seated the ball on the powder.
Check out the pic I'm posting.

Thanks again for your help.
Ray...........

Nice pistol, they shoot very well, I have one that I restocked into a traditional for competition and the second one was a gift from a friend that I rebarreled into a 40 cal. I load mine from a stand and have had no problems even after all these years...Looking forward to see how it shoots.

YMHS
Hilljack

Ron....cool box and nice pistols.

I am down to a Murdoch Scottish pistol........still wanting a brace of 1805 Harper's Ferry pistols....or/and a brace of 18th century dueling pistols. Fun to read about other's experiencing new acquisitions. :D

Back