Woodman Patriot mate

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope they like each other, i think it will be love at first sight. Bought a Zeiss 4-16×44 conquest 4 to put atop of my new woodman arms patriot muzzleloader. I belive the two will make me shine as i want a light weight muzzy capable of shooting my home range, 300 yard max. Want to shoot it smokeless, bullet to bore, .45 cal..now i am going to need a load to work up, when my gun arrives. Any suggestions from owners of the patriot, 45 cal. Brux, 1-20..?
Late to the game- own the same gun, scoped, but I’d like to go smokeless and I didn’t know this was an option- have you worked up a load to stay inside the pressures? I have been messing around with bullet to bore a little (barnes) but it’s not been super accurate, which sadly I was hoping for- as I get more consistent expansion on tipped Coppers vs plain hollows.

On marks web site are the listed powders . Only 3 i think. Smokeless in a patriot only can be done with a .45 cal. Read it and get back with me later to nite.
Thank you for the heads up- it’s been updated some since I’d last looked. Looks like I’m gonna get busy working on a smokeless load I think. Excited to try, thanks!

There are pressure traces on here that will also give you ideas of pressures. Work your loads up carefully and watch for pressure signs. I found out you need a wad over powder also. I get mine at Fury bullets, very cheap. My pet loads are 58-59 grains of n120, weighed, 275 grain Fury star tip, bonded, and a federal 209A primer. There is another bullet they have that is a Fury, STB, bonded. Both of these bullets are expanding into the rifling with excellent results.

Late to the game- own the same gun, scoped, but I’d like to go smokeless and I didn’t know this was an option- have you worked up a load to stay inside the pressures? I have been messing around with bullet to bore a little (barnes) but it’s not been super accurate, which sadly I was hoping for- as I get more consistent expansion on tipped Coppers vs plain hollows.
Are you trying to shoot solid copper full bore? That would not work well because you will not get obturation.

Are you trying to shoot solid copper full bore? That would not work well because you will not get obturation.
Yes I was dabbling, I love the solid coppers on your site- but I have taken a number of different animals with solid coppers, and love them- my only wish- is the plastic blasting tip- starts expansion faster and more consistently. With no “nose fold” which I have a few examples where the bullet enters at the ribs just behind the shoulder as the animal faces just slightly away but broadside- perfect shot to the main heart artery cluster, but the hollow points can fold a nose over and crimp themselves shut. This is seen in the bullet after recovery or the exit wound is the same diameter as the entry. .45 caliber exit is still pretty devastating. But in shooting 45-70/.450 bush and .45 muzzle all at higher velocity and taking animaks in the 10-100 yard range- I’ve tried a lot of coppers, and Im pretty firm, the hollow point being filled is my best bullet expansion. I’ve water tested, ballistic gel is cool- but on animal, TSX / TTSX tips add that something I feel more confident in.

In my ideal world I could shoot a solid copper bullet, with a ballistic tip, 250gr out of my woodman, and MOA @100yds.

I have been making my own wads out of cut down crush ribs, getting not awesome results but also powder has been terrible- I have had zero luck in 2years coming up with BH209

My patriot arrived this week it’s an amazing piece of gear that I will no doubt cherish for years to come. One day it will be scoped but for now I purchased the tracker sights wood man sells .

IMG_2962.jpeg

On their site they state the short front sight is typically used for the 50. Cal and the short on the 45.

Can anyone confirm this as the way the sentence is structured one could think it’s a typo seeing as they only offer two caliber barrels and one peep sight system why are there two height posts.

Last edited:
My patriot arrived this week it’s an amazing piece of gear that I will jno doubt cherish for years to come. One day it will be scoped but for now I purchased the tracker sights wood man sells . View attachment 42257

On their sight they state the short front sight is typically used for the 50. Cal and the short on the 45.
Can anyone confirm this as the way the sentence is structured one could think it’s a typo seeing as they only offer two caliber and one peep sight system why are there two height posts
My patriot arrived this week it’s an amazing piece of gear that I will jno doubt cherish for years to come. One day it will be scoped but for now I purchased the tracker sights wood man sells . View attachment 42257

On their sight they state the short front sight is typically used for the 50. Cal and the short on the 45.
Can anyone confirm this as the way the sentence is structured one could think it’s a typo seeing as they only offer two caliber and one peep sight system why are there two height posts

Sorry if I didn’t word my question appropriately, but before I cranked down the tiny screws on the front sight post I ordered I wanted to clarify with individuals that likely knew better than I that I had the correct one on the rifle lol

I was still concerned that there was a typo on woodman arms site regarding the site posts so I reached out to them Tim confirmed in fact that their was and that the tall front sight post is to be used with the 45 cal and that there was a typo on the website. Now I can adjust and torque sights a bit. If only I could find some Blackhorn 209 lol

Attachments

• IMG_3018.png
    IMG_3018.png
    963.3 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back