Pedersoli target rifles any good?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read several artilcles which stated the Pedersoli Gibbs is sized to .449 with a groove depth of .003" I wonder if that is a mistake. I can't see a Muzzleloader shooting lead with such shallow grooves. If I can, I'll check the groove depth tomorrow with my micrometer.
My Gibbs does indeed shoot greasers very well. You might want to start with greasers first just to get the hang of things before you try paper patching. X

My Gibbs does indeed shoot greasers very well. You might want to start with greasers first just to get the hang of things before you try paper patching. X
I ran across these groups today in my files. Your cleaning routine between shots must be thorough and repeatable. I always shoot 10 shot groups just to make sure everything remains consistant. [Including the shooter!] The mid-range matches we have specify a maximum of 4 sighters and 10 shots for score in 30 minutes. X

P.S. A Soule type sight with a Hadley eyecup will allow you to get the most out of your Gibbs.

Attachments

• june 2016 targets 002.JPG
    june 2016 targets 002.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • june 2016 targets 003.JPG
    june 2016 targets 003.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
What do you sab between shots with? What is your moose-milk?
There are actually 2 ways to clean between shots.
1. load and fire your first shot. Snap a cap to make certain the flame channel is clear [optional], Add powder, wad, Clean down to the wad....two DAMP patches followed by 2 dry patches, add bullet of choice. Fire. DO NOT have your cleaning patches drippy wet! Excess liquid will run out of the patch into the patent breech and wet the powder charge and cause a misfire.
2. Fire the shot, clean.....2 damp, 2 dry patches, CAUTION...this way may push fouling into the patent breech causing a misfire if you dont snap a cap to clear flame channel, add powder, wad if desired, bullet of choice, fire. Just so you know, the Gibbs has a patent breech. You will need to wrap a patch around a .22 cal. brush to clean it. Remove nipple, clean it. Bend a pipe cleaner into a "J" shape to clean the flame path from the nipple hole into the patent breech. I was never a fan of submerging the breech end of the barrel into a tub of water and pumping water in and out. I use windshield washer solvent to clean at the end of the day followed by patches wet with 90% isopropyl alcohol to mix with and evaporate any dampness left in the barrel. Dry patches followed by coating the bore with "rig".
Generally in my experience, if you get a misfire, you can trace it back to improper cleaning of the patent breech/flame channel.
The mixture I use on my patches to clean between shots is ready to use antifreeze but any mixture that contains water will work just as well. Water with a little Dawn dish soap is simple and works.
There is a small learning curve to find out what works for you but that is all part of the fun. As you have seen, there are several Gibbs owners in the group so info wont be hard to get. Have fun on your journey! X

The mixture I use on my patches to clean between shots is ready to use antifreeze but any mixture that contains water will work just as well. Water with a little Dawn dish soap is simple and works.
In my T/Cs, I previously used Ballistol and water or a little laundry soap and water. To me, dish washing soap has too much glycerine. I would run a bore brush down once to loosen the crud, damp swab (soaked but not dripping) with a couple patches then dry patches, then a very light run of mineral oil or bore butter. Snapped a cap or cleaned the vent hole and reloaded.

When I shot competition with my Mississippi Rifle, I used a bore brush, then a damp swab of water, dry swabbed, snapped a cap before reloading then reloaded.

When cleaning the rifle, I removed the nipple or vent liner, submerged the whole barrel, breech and all, into hot soapy water to clean it. I ran a bore brush, bore mop, then patches. Also, Pipe cleaners through the flame channel. I then rinsed it with pure hot water through the muzzle with a small hose attached to the water spout. I had the hose from when I had a darkroom. The barrel gets too hot to touch, so I used a towel. It dries quicker that way.

I then gave it a quick coat of WD-40, dry swab it & then mineral oil. If I thought the barrel would sit for a few months, I would coat the bore with a better oil. Hoppes or something like that. I now use Clenzoil.

Would these methods still be relevant with the Gibbs? Other than using a .22 bore brush?

Would it be to my benefit to use Triple 7? The residue is quite a bit less, which would mean a clear "Patent Breech? Or is it even worth the effort to try Triple 7?

There are actually 2 ways to clean between shots.
1. load and fire your first shot. Snap a cap to make certain the flame channel is clear [optional], Add powder, wad, Clean down to the wad....two DAMP patches followed by 2 dry patches, add bullet of choice. Fire. DO NOT have your cleaning patches drippy wet! Excess liquid will run out of the patch into the patent breech and wet the powder charge and cause a misfire.
2. Fire the shot, clean.....2 damp, 2 dry patches, CAUTION...this way may push fouling into the patent breech causing a misfire if you dont snap a cap to clear flame channel, add powder, wad if desired, bullet of choice, fire. Just so you know, the Gibbs has a patent breech. You will need to wrap a patch around a .22 cal. brush to clean it. Remove nipple, clean it. Bend a pipe cleaner into a "J" shape to clean the flame path from the nipple hole into the patent breech. I was never a fan of submerging the breech end of the barrel into a tub of water and pumping water in and out. I use windshield washer solvent to clean at the end of the day followed by patches wet with 90% isopropyl alcohol to mix with and evaporate any dampness left in the barrel. Dry patches followed by coating the bore with "rig".
Generally in my experience, if you get a misfire, you can trace it back to improper cleaning of the patent breech/flame channel.
There is a small learning curve to find out what works for you but that is all part of the fun. As you have seen, there are several Gibbs owners in the group so info wont be hard to get. Have fun on your journey! X
you can snap cap before loading, after you clean

Would it be to my benefit to use Triple 7? The residue is quite a bit less, which would mean a clear "Patent Breech? Or is it even worth the effort to try Triple 7?
What ever cleaning method has worked for you in the past and you are comfortable with is good enough. I've never used triple seven in anything before but am well aware that you can still get a "crud ring" when using it. Try both 777 and the various grades of black powder you have and see what gives you the best accuracy. I am not aware of anyone using 777 in a Gibbs but that means nothing really. If you have ever gone over any [traditional] L.R.M.L. match results and equipment lists, you will see that everyone is using black powder. I'm positive that if 777 gave better accuracy you would see them using it.
P.S. We are eagerly awaiting your first range report! X

My answer to the question is YES. They are worth it.
i have several pedersolis in fast twist
a 45 Gibbs
a couple 45 volunteers
a 45 Whitworth
A 45,50 and 54 Tryon
even my round ball pedersolis are my nicest factory guns In slow twist0B3BD69F-AA6E-416D-A725-552813F8E534.jpeg1B4D98AF-4C57-4519-A5CE-607BF1A9E3A7.jpeg

Last edited:
My Pedersoli "Gibbs" .451 with a 1:18 arrived today. It will be a couple weeks before I can check it our & shoot it. I have some No-Excuse .451 bullets to try in it. I don't have a clue what paper patch bullet size to try. I don't have a press, so sizing it with paper isn't an option... Yet...
Probably have to size for .448 when all is said and done . Thats what my Gibbs required. I have some greasers and PP if you want I could send a few for you to try

nope , shoot Swiss 2ff or 1.5
I have 3 granulations of Swiss. Only 1 lb of 1.5Fg , 4lbs of 2Fg & 1lb of 3Fg. I have Schuetzen 4Fg, because when I bought it, that is the only powder on the shelf of my local Muzzleloader store.
I'm told by some who use Triple 7, it is sensitive to compression. So, how much umph you ram it down may cause it to burn differently.

Last edited:
Rig is a grease like bore protectant. Kind of old school but it works great. X
Now I know what to look for, I looked it up,

p.s. I found it. Birchwood/Casey. The only place which has it is Track. They wanted $8 to ship, so I added to my order.

Last edited:
To all of you assisting me on this thread.
Thank you.
This is a new world for me. I've always loved to punch holes in paper. Using these rifles will be challenging yet, for me, Very fun.
I just gave one of my 2 CVA Hawkens to a friend of mine who is just starting out in the BP world. My brother has a Renegade, so range time with them will be fun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back