Peep Corrective Lens

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In archery one can find several firms selling corrective lenses for your peep to help those of us with older eyes to see our sight pins more clearly. For example, see the "verifiers" available from Specialty Archery. Specialty Archery | Premium Compound Bow Accessories

I'd like to find something similar for my muzzleloader - an aperture for my rear peep that contains a corrective lens that allows me to see my front pin more clearly. But I'm not finding any. Is this a thing? They work great in my bow.

Have you tried one of those aperture stickers for your shooting glasses yet?
I do my best not to use mine, but there are some days and certain guns it really improves things.

I have not tried the sticker. I’d prefer something in the peep itself as it seems more field-friendly to me.

My first instinct was to take one of the archery lenses and screw it into my rear peep, but differences in size and thread pitch make that challenging. Still some potential, but I was hoping a company building peeps for muzzleloaders might already have a product on the market.

It's not as bad as you'd think.
Not that you don't know it's there, but when looking straight ahead while walking I don't even bother taking my glasses off. I'm hoping it helps with early morning lighting this year when hunting so I can go out earlier.

Find an adjustable diopta which has a seperate screw in eyedisc. Have a single lens for your shooting eye ground to fit in the eyedisc recess then screw in the disc to hold the lens in place. You can change the lens as your eyesight changes Job done. Have used mine for many years. O.D.

Find an adjustable diopta which has a seperate screw in eyedisc. Have a single lens for your shooting eye ground to fit in the eyedisc recess then screw in the disc to hold the lens in place. You can change the lens as your eyesight changes Job done. Have used mine for many years. O.D.
Is there any chance you would post a pic of that? Ty

Find an adjustable diopta which has a seperate screw in eyedisc. Have a single lens for your shooting eye ground to fit in the eyedisc recess then screw in the disc to hold the lens in place.
I think I understand what you’re describing. The holder for the aperture/eye disc would have to have a backing of some type that the lens would sit against, pinned in by the aperture, right? Is that typical? Do you have diopter sights in mind that work for this?

Thanks for the guidance.

You do not need a diopter in your rear peep.
Just look through the hole.
Ignore the hole.
Concentrate on the front sight.
I am 78 and I see the front sight very well using peeps on:
FWB601
HW35
Benjamin Bluestreak
Ruger Mini14
Daisy Model 25
Avanti 499b

I think I understand what you’re describing. The holder for the aperture/eye disc would have to have a backing of some type that the lens would sit against, pinned in by the aperture, right? Is that typical? Do you have diopter sights in mind that work for this?

Thanks for the guidance.
I have 3 of these which are basically the same fitting. The difference is in the way the iris is adjusted.I will send some photos.O.D.

The Numbers. No. 1 is I believe a PARKER - Parker Hale. The Iris is adjusted by the small lever just seen in the body. About 1/4 turn From Zero to 1/8".
No. 2 is an "IRIS" Made in England. The Iris adjustment is a Knurled Annuler Ring around the body. again 1/4 turn from zero to 1/8"
No. 3 is a sucker type that sticks the the dominent eye lense of glasses.
The iris shutters are adjusted as with No. 2. The fillaments of the iris can just be see in the photo.
The lens recsess is 0.410" dia. The eye disc thead is 0.5" dia x 40 tpi. The small tread at the other end is 0.220" x 40 tpi.
Hope all this make sence. OLD DOG..

The Numbers. No. 1 is I believe a PARKER - Parker Hale. The Iris is adjusted by the small lever just seen in the body. About 1/4 turn From Zero to 1/8".
No. 2 is an "IRIS" Made in England. The Iris adjustment is a Knurled Annuler Ring around the body. again 1/4 turn from zero to 1/8"
No. 3 is a sucker type that sticks the the dominent eye lense of glasses.
The iris shutters are adjusted as with No. 2. The fillaments of the iris can just be see in the photo.
The lens recsess is 0.410" dia. The eye disc thead is 0.5" dia x 40 tpi. The small tread at the other end is 0.220" x 40 tpi.
Hope all this make sence. OLD DOG..
This is helpful. Whether I end up with a like sight or not, the concept makes sense and I’ll see what I can pull together to mimic this type of setup. Much appreciated.

The old Merritt shutter disc was an adjustable aperture. It operated just like a camera shutter. Wish they still made them. They do occasionally pop up for sale.
With a proper aperture, I'm as good to 200 yards as I am with a 4x scope.

Latest posts

Back