Peep sight questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcat2

Reaction score
I am putting a peep on my interchangeable barrel build I am doing and could some of you give answers or choice of one. Does one know how far up elevation travel in inches do it move for the Lyman 57sml have and does eye part comes completely off with the quick release button . The other choice I have is the Lyman #2 tang sight , that it does state that it has .800 elevation travel. No windage travel in this one though. They will fold down and look a lot nicer on a English sporting style gun in my opinion. How far in range will get with these? The different barrels will most likely have different front sights . Thanks Wildcat2 .

As you state, the Lyman #2 Tang sight will look much cleaner/nicer on the Rifle. I have numerous Lyman 57 SMLs, I use the Lowest Globe that Lyman Makes on most of my Rigs, it is called the 17AHB and measures .404 high, This allows me to keep my Peep bridge LOW When Zeroed at 100 Yards, leaving me more Elevation to play with. I have shot 500 Yards with these, and that’s about all you can expect to get, assuming the Peep bridge is nearly Bottomed out when Zero at 100 Yards like mine Below.

A few pics i just took to Give you an idea, with the Shortest .404 Height front sight Globe, this is typically where i end up when Zeroed at 100 Yards
WLOdLXGl.jpg

j8RPWBJl.jpg

This is as HIGH as i can possibly get, i am literally on the last thread of the elevation Worm gear here, a few clicks higher and the Slider would go Free, But it will DEFINITELY hold right here, Exactly 1” from the Base Block to Center of Peep hole
GW0tcDyl.jpg

Last edited:
Good reply Idaho, and great pics ,got to learn how to post pics . What apiture is that not the one that comes with it I take it? Cleared up the height of globe also. Thanks .

Good reply Idaho, and great pics ,got to learn how to post pics . What apiture is that not the one that comes with it I take it? Cleared up the height of globe also. Thanks .

Sorry for the late reply here WC2 i just now seen this, That is a Williams 1” Diameter, .050 Target Aperture. I MUCH MUCH Prefer the Larger Diameter Aperture, For Targets anyway, Which is 99% of what i do With Muzzleloaders. I feel they block peripheral distraction, When i look through the Little Stock Apertures i see all kinds of Stuff I don’t want to, It’s harder for me to Focus with the little Apertures that come with them, ESPECIALLY the Williams

Look how tiny the Stock Williams Aperture is, I have NO USE for these!! It’s the 1st thing i change
9H3H4ZI.jpg

I just put on a Williams peep sight just like the one above. The reason I went with that one is cause I will use it for hunting . I will shoot 99.5% of my round balls into a pile of dirt , but it will be used for hunting deer. I feel the Williams peep would be a better target but might not be as good for hunting. I am going to look for a target aperture screw in so I can use both. The first thing I said however is, this peep hole is too big . I will take in out zoo to see if it helps my shooting.

I just put on a Williams peep sight just like the one above. The reason I went with that one is cause I will use it for hunting . I will shoot 99.5% of my round balls into a pile of dirt , but it will be used for hunting deer. I feel the Williams peep would be a better target but might not be as good for hunting. I am going to look for a target aperture screw in so I can use both. The first thing I said however is, this peep hole is too big . I will take in out zoo to see if it helps my shooting.

Good to see ya here ihook, i was gonna invite ya awhile back, just haven’t been back over there

The Target Aperture that i use is Also a Williams, it is their 1” Target Aperture, with a .050 Hole, The Little Stock Aperture that came with your new Williams sight is much Larger at .093

If i were you, i would try 1 of these Larger Target Apertures, you can even Drill the Hole out a bit more than the .050 that it is. I have done so to a Few of these for Hunting Rigs. But for Target i MUCH prefer the Smaller .050 Hole

Williams offers the apertures in three ODs and four IDs. Smallest ID is .050 for target. The sights come with a std .093. they also have twilight apertures. They have a brass ring inside that's supposed to help in low light. I just order one of each of the three .050s. ODs are 3/8", 1/2", and 1".

I didn't see a smaller aperture but I imagine I could find one. That would be good for targets. I love my TC Hawken, 50 cal. 33" Green Mountain barrel. On the bench at the range, I outshoot almost all the guys with their scoped muzzleloaders and usually outshoot their center fires @ 50 yds with open sights. I am sure I will do better with the peep.

I sure do enjoy that gun. The trigger is second to none , at least compared to what I bought stock. It is getting expensive however, but I live so cheap anyway that I dont mind. I plan on a Lee lead melter next. I may get a 1/28" twist barrel from Rice. I also want one of those thingies that tells ya how fast the bullet is going. Also, I got Old Eynsford the other day . Comes to about $28.30 with tax. Is that the going rate at a gun shop? Swiss is another 5 bucks and Goex is $26.30 with tax.

Williams offers the apertures in three ODs and four IDs. Smallest ID is .050 for target. The sights come with a std .093. they also have twilight apertures. They have a brass ring inside that's supposed to help in low light. I just order one of each of the three .050s. ODs are 3/8", 1/2", and 1".

I have several of their Twilight Apertures, at one time I REALLY thought i was gonna like them? I ended up switcing out about 6 of my Factory Apertures with the Williams Twilight, in the end, I ended up NOT LIKING the Twilight Apertures, They are all in a Box here somewhere now? That Brass Ring bothered me, I struggled to get my Sight picture the Way i like it, i found that Bright Brass Ring to be “intrusive” to my eye. I switched them out to the Larger 1” Target Aperture, I have been Shooting them now for a Few years and REALLY like them! The Hole can EASILY be drilled out by hand to a Larger Diameter for more Light/Hunting application.

It’s all in what a person gets use to. I need to Buy a Shavers Hadley Eye Cup threaded for the Williams/Lyman Peeps and have anything I could ever need at my Finger tips :lewis: But the Shaver’s Hadley’s are about 100 Bucks. I stil plan to Get one, i can Swap it back n Forth Between Rifles. When you shoot a Hadley Eye Cup It SPOILS ya! I have 9 Different Hole sizes i can Flip Through, and in Different Lighting, Target, Background ETC. it makes a GIANT difference

I have several of their Twilight Apertures, at one time I REALLY thought i was gonna like them? I ended up switcing out about 6 of my Factory Apertures with the Williams Twilight, in the end, I ended up NOT LIKING the Twilight Apertures, They are all in a Box here somewhere now? That Brass Ring bothered me, I struggled to get my Sight picture the Way i like it, i found that Bright Brass Ring to be “intrusive” to my eye. I switched them out to the Larger 1” Target Aperture, I have been Shooting them now for a Few years and REALLY like them! The Hole can EASILY be drilled out by hand to a Larger Diameter for more Light/Hunting application.

It’s all in what a person gets use to. I need to Buy a Shavers Hadley Eye Cup threaded for the Williams/Lyman Peeps and have anything I could ever need at my Finger tips :lewis: But the Shaver’s Hadley’s are about 100 Bucks. I stil plan to Get one, i can Swap it back n Forth Between Rifles. When you shoot a Hadley Eye Cup It SPOILS ya! I have 9 Different Hole sizes i can Flip Through, and in Different Lighting, Target, Background ETC. it makes a GIANT difference
I'm setting up my first real peep sight gun, a renegade, and I'm still figuring out which one will work best for me. I have a #17 front sight with Lee Shaver inserts that may be a little too fine for me. We'll see. The Hadley sounds like the good stuff for apertures in the rear.

I'm setting up my first real peep sight gun, a renegade, and I'm still figuring out which one will work best for me. I have a #17 front sight with Lee Shaver inserts that may be a little too fine for me. We'll see. The Hadley sounds like the good stuff for apertures in the rear.

The Hadley Eye cups are the “Cat’s Meow” You have 9 different Peep Hole sizes to Flip Through and Study until you find the 1 that BEST fits that particular Target, Background, Light, Etc. They are AWESOME! For Target, i find myself using the Smallest, or just a Step or 2 up from the Smallest. The Smallest Hole is in .0020s :) I ABSOLUTELY Love my Shaver Hadley Cup :lewis:

Back