Pistol Restoration

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 coats of tru oil. I still have to give it a day or 2 to dry, its really been hard to work with due to the rain and heat. Very humid and the drying process has been slow. I still have to wet sand and then spray a few coats of tru oil on and then buff the shine down.
100_9278.jpg

100_9279.jpg

Well boys the stock is finished, barrel is getting Gun Shield applied to it right now.

All i have to do is fix the lock and then polish some brass.

Lock is fixed. There was no half cock notch! Thats why it wouldnt stay in place. Also needed a good shot of oil to free up. Now just to apply 2 more coats of gun shield on the barrel and then just some small polishing bits here and there.

no wonder , glad you figured it out . really looking forward to pics and to getting it back and shooting it ! thank you FG .

Well i am gorilla gluing the ramrod thimbles on right now. I did a rough sand job with 220 grit as i didnt want them polished. I actually think the high polished brass makes the guns look cheap. The rough brass with the dull areas and then the shiny areas look great on this pistol, it especially goes great with the color.

cool . are you going to fill the holes were the pins were ? so with the gun shield do need to oil the gun ? man i'm getting exited , cant wait . :)

Yeah you should still oil the rifle. I didnt do the bore bcuz i have nothing to fit it. Basically just wipe the parts down and oil them after you are shooting.

The barrel is clean as well.

Oh its done, just letting the stock cure and harden up. Going to find a nice over sized box for it today for when i ship it back. I think shipping will run around $20 but i may send UPS as they are faster.

cool 8) ! would you mind taking a few pictures ? my camera is junk and my photography skills non existent , lol .

Okay guys i got better pictures this evening. I was VERY careful when i put it on the rock LOL. I actually had to file a half cock "safety" notch into the tumbler as it did not have one.

But i like the finish, it came out really smooth and the curly maple looks really good.
100_9349.jpg

100_9336.jpg

100_9337.jpg

On the brass i just hit it with some 220 grit and left it rough. We agree'd on an antique finish and what i like about the side lock plate, it still has some casting marks that when i "polished" it, it made it look like it had engraved scenery at some point.
100_9338.jpg

Barrel finish,
100_9339.jpg

100_9340.jpg

100_9341.jpg

100_9348.jpg

100_9346.jpg

awesome :!: i can't wait to get it back . thats just what i had in mind too . love that look .

Back