Powerbelt 45 ELR

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So far I guess I’ve been pretty pleased with accuracy, my rifle will hold its own out to 400, haven’t had a chance to go much further with it. And I guess I’d say they were adequate on the only deer I’ve shot with them so far. Has anyone had multiple kills and what did you think?

I was really getting enthused reading the sales promotional description of the Paramount till I got to the part where it said they were designed around a Powerbelt bullet. Been waiting for someone to log in here with some info.....400 yards?!

They’re crazy accurate, I didn’t have a way to measure the group size but it wasn’t much over a 4” group at 400, if that. I wasn’t real excited about shooting a powerbelt either, I figured Hornady would get on board since they came out with full bore 50cal bullet similar to the powerbelt so I went ahead and bought the rifle. We mostly shoot Hornady in everything in our house, they’ve never failed us! With all that being said I was hoping someone would have some input on big game performance. I know there’s been some elk killed with the ELR but that was on CVA Instagram and Facebook, who knows how trustworthy that actually is!! Lol

kind of off topic sorry. I wrote an email to hornady about the bore driver ftx and making it in 45 and 54. I also commented about wanting the58, 54, and 45 plains bullet back. their relpy"

"Brad, Hopefully in the future we would produce a 45 Cal. in the Bore Driver projectiles. However with the 54 Cal. and larger, you may want to look at the round balls we are still producing. Thanks"

I was really getting enthused reading the sales promotional description of the Paramount till I got to the part where it said they were designed around a Powerbelt bullet. Been waiting for someone to log in here with some info.....400 yards?!
Sounds like you got a long distance keeper there. Hopefully that bullet performs well on game for you.
What full boar .50 cal Hornady are you referring to?
The Paramount is a keeper for sure. I've been shootin mine for a lil over a yr now. I've got a cpl hundred rounds downrange between the ELR's, Fury 275gr, 265gr,250gr/Parker 275gr,250gr bullets ALL with 105grW BH 209. The gun impressed me with them all. Nothing shot " bad ". Me managing that recoil was BAD. I set out to see what the Paramount is really capable of far beyond what its advertised as & most others will do. I had no intention of decreasing my charge, but to find as many new bullets as I can that shoot sub moa with that charge, so I put a 1pc. Titanium 5 port Beast Brake on mine & now I can stack bullets at my zero - 200yds & I went right to 400yds which took me 2 rounds to get on a small target paper. I put 1 more on that same paper next shot. no group - 1 at top of paper, next at bottom. Not bad for my first time ever shooting a ML at 400yds. I'm still going to test a few more bullets & some outside the box charges as well & try to squeeze my home range out to 500yds. My goal from the beginning was to see if I could make this Paramount into a 500-600yd ML. I'm almost there. After hunting season here in Fl is over ( I can kill 1 more buck this season, I have 2 bucks/no does so far) I will get back to dialing in sub moa at the 400yds I have set up. The ELR's shoot extremely well but they just grenaded the deer I killed with them. Way too much damage for me. I'm shooting Fury 275gr ST2P bullets at 2460fps now. I will try to take the Paramount out for my last kill, but I hunt out of a Summit Viper Mini & takin that 12lbish Paramount with 29" barrel now & a 5-25x50 FFP scope up in it to maybe have a 120yds shot, but much more likely to be 50yds or less in thick pine forest with heavy undergrowth floor. Not the gun for all that IMHO. I've been using my .45 Accura V2 with 84gr BH 209 & 220gr Dead Center bullets in LBCR sabots. Thats an awesome gun with a fantastic 200yd load. But the great thing about the Paramount is it's versatility & its simply " Plug N Play " design with it's charge & bullet & shoot extremely well out to 450yds hunting range. Thats incredible. Especially for the guys that only paid 800-900.00 for theirs.

Last edited:
kind of off topic sorry. I wrote an email to hornady about the bore driver ftx and making it in 45 and 54. I also commented about wanting the58, 54, and 45 plains bullet back. their relpy"

"Brad, Hopefully in the future we would produce a 45 Cal. in the Bore Driver projectiles. However with the 54 Cal. and larger, you may want to look at the round balls we are still producing. Thanks"
It just almost seems like they aren’t quite on board with muzzleloader hunters in a way.The Monoflex and the SST bullets are great but I hope they will evolve a little bit.

The Paramount is a keeper for sure. I've been shootin mine for a lil over a yr now. I've got a cpl hundred rounds downrange between the ELR's, Fury 275gr, 265gr,250gr/Parker 275gr,250gr bullets ALL with 105grW BH 209. The gun impressed me with them all. Nothing shot " bad ". Me managing that recoil was BAD. I set out to see what the Paramount is really capable of far beyond what its advertised as & most others will do. I had no intention of decreasing my charge, but to find as many new bullets as I can that shoot sub moa with that charge, so I put a 1pc. Titanium 5 port Beast Brake on mine & now I can stack bullets at my zero - 200yds & I went right to 400yds which took me 2 rounds to get on a small target paper. I put 1 more on that same paper next shot. no group - 1 at top of paper, next at bottom. Not bad for my first time ever shooting a ML at 400yds. I'm still going to test a few more bullets & some outside the box charges as well & try to squeeze my home range out to 500yds. My goal from the beginning was to see if I could make this Paramount into a 500-600yd ML. I'm almost there. After hunting season here in Fl is over ( I can kill 1 more buck this season, I have 2 bucks/no does so far) I will get back to dialing in sub moa at the 400yds I have set up not. The ELR's shoot extremely well but they just grenaded the deer I killed with them. Way too much damage for me. I'm shooting Fury 275gr ST2P bullets at nearly 2460fps now. I will try to take the Paramount out for my last kill, but I hunt out of a Summit Viper Mini & takin that 12lbish Paramount with 29" barrel now & a 5-25x50 FFP scope up in it to maybe have a 120yds shot, but much more likely to be 50yds or less in thick pine forest with heavy undergrowth floor. Not the gun for all that IMHO. I've been using my .45 Accura V2 with 84gr BH 209 & 220gr Dead Center bullets in LUCR sabots. Thats an awesome gun with a fantastic 200yd load. But the great thing about the Paramount is it's versatility & its simply " Plug N Play " design with it's charge & bullet & shoot extremely well out to 450yds hunting range. Thats incredible. Especially for the guys that only paid 800-900.00 for theirs.
I’m still amazed by the rifle, our last gun hunt happens right after Christmas and then I’m gonna stretch as far as I can. I have one spot on our farm that I believe is around 700 yards, I’m probably going to set up some steel for that. As far as recoil goes, me and my wife both shoot rifles that range from 300 win mag up to 375 H&H so we are very familiar with heavy recoil, to me it feels more like a big push more than a sharp kick, it’s pretty similar to the 375 H&H to us. I need to start trying different bullets, hopefully work will slow down soon and I can get into some serious range time.

I’m still amazed by the rifle, our last gun hunt happens right after Christmas and then I’m gonna stretch as far as I can. I have one spot on our farm that I believe is around 700 yards, I’m probably going to set up some steel for that. As far as recoil goes, me and my wife both shoot rifles that range from 300 win mag up to 375 H&H so we are very familiar with heavy recoil, to me it feels more like a big push more than a sharp kick, it’s pretty similar to the 375 H&H to us. I need to start trying different bullets, hopefully work will slow down soon and I can get into some serious range time.
Outstanding Tom, I'm glad you appreciate the Paramount too & are going to put it to the test in the field with real long range hunting. Best wishes & plz keep us posted as to what you're shootin in yours & how things are goin with the extended ranges.. From What was explained to me as far as a ballistics chart goes, with the 150gr V BH 209 charges & the 280gr ELR's it gives the gun about a 450yd hunting application for deer & 300-350yds I think for elk size game. Right out of the box, plug n play bullet/charge, thats pretty awesome. I've seen Mike Deming shoot targets sub moa out to 730 yds with that set up, like 1/2 moa at 600yds. I'm working on pushing the 275gr Fury's to over 2500fps which will make it a solid 550-600yd hunting ML. What else I really like is zeroed at 200yds., I'm dn 3.5moa at 100yds & only up 8or9 moa at 400yds. I can prob shoot out to 500yds or more without having to touch my elevation dial, parallax adj only. Thats just COOL! You'll see for yourself, I'm sure of it.

Last edited:
Outstanding Tom, I'm glad you appreciate the Paramount too & are going to put it to the test in the field with real long range hunting. Best wishes & plz keep us posted as to what you're shootin in yours & how things are goin with the extended ranges.. From What was explained to me as far as a ballistics chart goes, with the 150gr V BH 209 charges & the 280gr ELR's it gives the gun about a 450yd hunting application for deer & 300-350yds I think for elk size game. Right out of the box, plug n play bullet/charge, thats pretty awesome. I've seen Mike Deming shoot targets sub moa out to 730 yds with that set up, like 1/2 moa at 600yds. I'm working on pushing the 275gr Fury's to over 2500fps which will make it a solid 550-600yd hunting ML. What else I really like is zeroed at 200yds., I'm dn 3.5moa at 100yds & only up 8or9 moa at 400yds. I can prob shoot out to 500yds or more without having to touch my elevation dial, parallax adj only. Thats just COOL! You'll see for yourself, I'm sure of it.
It is super cool!! Are you weighing your charges or going by volume? I’ve never shot mine by volume, I’ve weighed every charge that’s been shot. I was kind of wondering if was actually worth the hassle!! Lol

I' ve kinda gone the other way with my paramount.
I shoot the 265 Fury STB with 75 grains BH weighed and get 1 hole at 100 yds. Velocity is 2020 fps give or take a few. That's about an average hunting distance and plenty of power for whitetail.
I also shoot a powdercoated 45 colt cast bullet. A clone of the rcbs 270 SSA.
With 60 grains of BH weighed I get 1750 fps and 1.5 inches at 100.
Both loads are very pleasant on recoil.
I am playing around with downsizing 458 jacketed bullets. 458 to 455 to 453. I put the finishing touches on with a Hankins sizer.
I love this smoke pole.
BugIn

I shoot the 265 Fury STB with 75 grains BH weighed and get 1 hole at 100 yds. Velocity is 2020 fps give or take a few. That's about an average hunting distance and plenty of power for whitetail.
I am playing around with downsizing 458 jacketed bullets. 458 to 455 to 453. I put the finishing touches on with a Hankins sizer.
I love this smoke pole.
BugIn
Well BugIn45, to me, thats like buyin a new Harley that does 150mph & then swappin out the motor for the one from my ridin mower in comparison to buyin a Paramount ( the only .45 BH 209 ML on the market designed to shoot 150gr BH 209 & weighs nearly 10lbs without optics ) and then only using 75gr of powder in it. But to each his own by all means brotha. The only important thing is that you are shooting & enjoying your Paramount & whatever loads you are shooting, work for your application. I can say that the Paramount does shoot the .453 STB 265gr bullets very well, so does my Accura V2. I'm still shooting some of those myself. Those powder coated bullets - Barry's BUllets? Hows that resizing from .458 dn to .453 goin? I haven't heard anyone else doing that. Me personally, I wouldn't want to mess with shootin any cast lead bullets in my Paramount. Not what I bought it for by a long shot. But in my Accura V2 .45 I do have a killer load the gun likes very well & its super cheap & an excellent 200yd deer load easy - .453 GT Bullets cast 255gr HP's with 91gr W T7fff & a .060 veggie wad.

I love this smoke pole.
BugIn
As long as you’re happy with it and it does what you want I’d go with it. I personally like it full throttle!! I do need to try some different bullets!

I love this smoke pole.
BugIn
Are you buying them powdercoated or doing it yourself? I had thaought about powdercoating some that i cast. Size first then PC then resize.

Latest posts

Back