Powerbelt elr 50 cal expansion test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got bored watching it rain today so I set up a 50 yard test range in my back yard.
I bought a pack of elr s at wal mart hoping powerbelt had changed something up and gotten this one right. I’ll post pics and let y’all be the judge

I shot it into 5 water jugs backed up by a bag of play sand. Distance was 50 yards The load was the 325 grain elr 50 cal with 71.1 grains (weighed) of fffg 777 with a cci 209 m primer. It went through all 5 jugs and stuck in the sand about 2 inches 99313D49-56C0-4F5D-8AAC-6E11CFD77FBA.jpeg2D0713FD-3FCA-43E8-A7B4-5F86F6B247BE.jpeg

Thanks for the real test results. I’m probably not getting enough velocity to open that bullet up. If you are loading 170 grains would be around 120 grains weighed of blackhorn if you are loading by volume. I shot mine with 71 grains of 777. Probably around 1650 or 1700 muzzle velocity. Here’s what a 275 grain Barnes xpander does at 100 yards with my setup8A563F1A-0471-464A-B865-D07CA1B0C6F3.jpeg

Powerbelts are fantastic to huntwtih . . . I would highly suggest hunting with them. They
are accurate, they expand very well inside of deer, and hit like a freight train. Most all the
deer drop in their tracks.

I don't know why Powerbelts get a bad name, Kind of reminds me of the Savage ML10 -ii
and its bad name.

Most people don't want their bullet to grenade in their animal.
A little less velocity stops that ,accuracy can be found at several levels . What is a bomb @50 yds in the hindquarter can wound like a pencil @200 yds thru ribs . Lots of variables having nothing to do with projectile but personal choice ! Velocity/position of animal and distance and are you capable of hitting where you want reliably every time you pull the trigger ? That is cause of grenades/wounding or passing up a shot all under the control of the shooter and having little to do with the projectile

No other bullet has such a poor history.
And exactly how does that change my response? I doesn"t I had nothing but good luck back 20 yrs ago using power belts ,perhaps your experience is different . I do believe a lot of rumors get started caused by blame the bullet and not the shooter ,who can say (just my opinion ) but I"m a bettin man and I bet I"m right at least most of my reply (APPLIES)/ just sayin/Ed

I have no clue why you may think my post could have changed your response, nor did I quote you?

I tried them and I continue to hold by my statement, which is easily identified by countless others all over the internet. Do they work for some, certainly they do. Yup, load up a couple pellets, drop a powerdunk down the bore and go whack some big bucks.
Powerdunk "X" must be shot no faster than "A" velocity. Powerdunk "Y" must have at least "B" velocity to function. Then the over inflated price for a plated lead bullet.
If they work for you, by all means continue using them.

Powerbelts always worked great for me. I dont think they are overpriced for the quality you get and the ease of use. If i could plate my home cast bullets easily I sure would. Nothing better then a lead bullet for hunting, imho. Thats what they truly are. I think some folks mistake plating for jacketing and over power them. Like putting a big block 454 cid engine in a 1986 S10 pickup. It'll go fast and explode. Shoot it like its intended, like most hunters probably will, at typical (<100yard) ranges, it'll work great. For the price, most hunters want exactly what it offers. Thats why i started shootin them. An easy to follow formula that's easy to do over and over. Until you're ready to up your game. Or keep your game the same and stay with what worked. The guy buting a Wolf or similar isnt likely to be the guy who wants to hotrod his rig. Just extend his deer season without to much thought or effort. A $20 pack of PBs and a $25 pack of pellets and a box of ML primers what could be easier. And cheaper for that guy who wont size or weigh or measure and didnt spend $ on that equipment. But those of us that went down the rabbit hole need more from our rigs and PBs arent aimed at us tho. We arent the 'typical' MLer. Just my $0.04.

Power Belts do not have a good reputation basically because the do not stay together shot at the higher velocities. Most, no a lot of, people believe they can shoot them with large powder loads. Well you can shoot with the larger loads and THEY are accurate. If you choose to shoot an animal at closer ranges with a high powered load you can get the grenade effect and at the same time if you shoot one at extended ranges they can and often do very well. Myself, I would prefer a bullet that works well from 10 to 250+ yards.

I got bored watching it rain today so I set up a 50 yard test range in my back yard.
I bought a pack of elr s at wal mart hoping powerbelt had changed something up and gotten this one right. I’ll post pics and let y’all be the judge

I shot it into 5 water jugs backed up by a bag of play sand. Distance was 50 yards The load was the 325 grain elr 50 cal with 71.1 grains (weighed) of fffg 777 with a cci 209 m primer. It went through all 5 jugs and stuck in the sand about 2 inches View attachment 10536View attachment 10537

OK - so I got involved with this thread I might as well express another thought. Pointy bullets from a normal ML, not a ML on steroids.😊

The point is an excellent way to increase BC, accuracy and shoot really long distances and at those long distance when the bullet slows down to a lower velocity - I would predict the bullet hitting an animal would work fine, probably really well.

I think you could get the same excellent results with a pointy bullet at shorter ranges with a reduced powder charge to reduce the velocity of the bullet, especially a soft lead Power Belt.

It would really be interesting to know what CVA suggests the operating velocity of the bullet.

And again only for myself, I really prefer a bullet with a larger meplat at the nose. I believe the larger meplat aids the starting of the expansion of the bullet, which will create a greater 'Terminal Ballistic' function of the bullet. Again I am talking about a normal ML.

You can possible see the difference if you think of this scenario. Take a normal sized simple old marble and drop it in a bucket of water. Then find what I think we called a 'boulder' marble and drop it in. Which of the two objects are going to create the bigger splash entering the water. I would like to think the same principles apply to jet type bullet and a more blunt type bullet.

OK - now you guys can have fun telling me I am wrong 😖

You can possible see the difference if you think of this scenario. Take a normal sized simple old marble and drop it in a bucket of water. Then find what I think we called a 'boulder' marble and drop it in. Which of the two objects are going to create the bigger splash entering the water. I would like to think the same principles apply to jet type bullet and a more blunt type bullet.
But, but they are both traveling the same speed, because gravity accelerates both equally. Why does the boulder make more splash? Because it has a larger cross section? Because it has more energy?

Drop the boulder from a lower height, so it has the same energy as the marble, then see which makes the larger splash.

But, but they are both traveling the same speed, because gravity accelerates both equally. Why does the boulder make more splash? Because it has a larger cross section? Because it has more energy?

Drop the boulder from a lower height, so it has the same energy as the marble, then see which makes the larger splash.

Energy is not a factor in the scenario... it is the contact size of the object as it enters the water.

Back