Powerbelt Platinum 338grn

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muzzle

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience on the Powerbelt Platinum 338 on how they perform on game. I am planning on trying this on ELK this years as I am unsure of cutting the tips off of the new Hornady bullet. Is the Platinum better than the regular aerotips?

Also what is the preferred primer?

CCI red CCI blue or the CCI inline primers?

I tested some 270 grain platinums in sand with 100 grains pyrodex select and they did great. The 338 with 100 grains powder or under would be more than enough.
The Platinum still has the copper coating along with the silver that adds more hold together. The hollow point also has shrunk to help control the amount of expansion.
One thing i dont like is the new skirt. Its made of harder material and doesnt flex as nice as the originals and they load a little harder than the originals.
I removed the tip on the platinum to show the difference in the size of the HP
Picture254.jpg

Picture253.jpg

Picture252.jpg

Picture251.jpg

I tested 15 of the bullets at 58 yards and a few at 20 yards. All pancaked nicely and were strong and i not bend them in half.
Picture251.jpg

The lighter weight platinum in 270 grain actually holds up a lot better than the 295g copper AT with stronger powder charges.

Bullet on the far left is the 20 yard shot, middle is 58 yard shot and the one on the right i shot through Two 2x4's and then it went into my sand trap.
Picture241.jpg

Picture240-1.jpg

I like them and if we get some elk tags or even deer tags i plan on setting my brother and father up with the 223 and 300 platinum for deer and the heavier 338 for elk.
My brother is recoil sensitive with his brass buttplate cva hawken so for deer i'd set him up with the 223 platinum and 80 grains pyrodex. My father had a recoil pad on his sportertized hawken so he will shoot up to 90 grains with the 405 grain powerbelt and the 338 platinum. A comfortable recoil help flinching in the field.

The Platinum PB's shoot like crap out of my Omega and Knight....Hornady FPB shot well from both. YMMV

Platinum

I did try the 270 grn Platinums in my KRB and did not like the way they shot. I wll try the 338grn and post my results.

Could be the barrel. I always hear how great the green mountain barrel is but i dont see many posts of them shootings that great with conicals you can buy off the shelf.

Back