Precision Rifle 250g QT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_0697.JPG

Chaded sent this 250g QT Polymer Tip to be tested, so this morning it was shot into carpet, shelving, and water jugs.

Once again the load was 80g Blackhorn, and the range was 25 yard.

IMG_0693.JPG

The bullet now weighs 210.9 grain. It was found in the third jug, which was slightly damaged with an entrance hole. The front two jugs were shredded. The last two jugs were undamaged, and will be used to test another bullet.

IMG_0694.JPG

Glad he sent them to you. I couldn't find the 250gr QTs i wanted to send you.

Weight retention is about what i would have guessed but i didn't think they would flatten quite that much. It would be very interesting to see if the Dead Center version flattens less.

That looks about like every dead center I've recovered in game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this is basically how the bullet is supposed to work, right? On the PR website they say this bullet will rarely exit. I assume this is because of the ridges on the bullet?

Also, what do you suppose would be the difference in function if instead of the polymer tip it had a flat nose? Would performance be significantly different, either for better or worse?

Again, my reason for asking is I have found a bullet mold for this both this bullet and at PR Dead Center. The only difference is the lack of a polymer tip. I understand the lack of tip will affect long flight at longer ranges, but I'm much more concerned with whether the bullet will perform on deer at 100 yards than if it will make it to a target at 300.

I took a 300 lb boar and two mature bucks with that bullet, using a 1/28 RMC flinter. Load was 90 grains of Swiss FFFg. All were double lunged and all were bang-flop with no exit. Range was 80-100 yds. I don't know if Cecil still makes that bullet. I've moved on to .458 bullets. I do have some old Knight lead hollow points with the same ogive band.

SuperKirby said:
So this is basically how the bullet is supposed to work, right? On the PR website they say this bullet will rarely exit. I assume this is because of the ridges on the bullet?

Also, what do you suppose would be the difference in function if instead of the polymer tip it had a flat nose? Would performance be significantly different, either for better or worse?

Again, my reason for asking is I have found a bullet mold for this both this bullet and at PR Dead Center. The only difference is the lack of a polymer tip. I understand the lack of tip will affect long flight at longer ranges, but I'm much more concerned with whether the bullet will perform on deer at 100 yards than if it will make it to a target at 300.

I have killed several whitetails with the PR Keith Nose HP and the Extreme Elite HP and they also look exactly like this. They rarely exit in my opinion because they are very soft but have killed the deer very dead. If you like a bullet that makes two holes then I would look at a different bullet.
Scott

I've killed 13 deer and a bear with the dead centers in a 45, all being pushed by 150gr of 777. It's been exactly 50/50 as far as pass throughs. I do like two holes but some of the best blood trails came from a non pass through. They do open quick. I shot a buck facing me right in the base of the neck that made a hole you could put a man sized fist in.

50bowhunter said:
I've killed 13 deer and a bear with the dead centers in a 45, all being pushed by 150gr of 777. It's been exactly 50/50 as far as pass throughs. I do like two holes but some of the best blood trails came from a non pass through. They do open quick. I shot a buck facing me right in the base of the neck that made a hole you could put a man sized fist in.

150gr of loose T7 in a 45cal?

Which weight DeadCenter were you shooting?

Which 45cal muzzleloader were you shooting?

GM54-120 said:
"50bowhunter" said:

150gr of loose T7 in a 45cal?

Which weight DeadCenter were you shooting?

Which 45cal muzzleloader were you shooting?
I was shooting 777 pellets and the 195gr/.357 dead centers out of an encore.

50bowhunter said:

Are you aware there's only 129 grains of 777 using three 50-grain pellets of 777?. Each pellet is developed at 43 grains volume, to meet the equivalency to Pyrodex's 50 grain pellet.

I love this site! I also have learned, in a very short time, those that know their stuff, and those that don't.
I am still in the latter category.

TripleSe7en said:
"50bowhunter" said:

Are you aware there's only 129 grains of 777 using three 50-grain pellets of 777?. Each pellet is developed at 43 grains volume, to meet the equivalency to Pyrodex's 50 grain pellet.
I did not, is that just the 45's or the 50's as well?

Latest posts

Back