Primer Affect Accuracy?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Firing from the "Poach Position" lends itself to lots of weird harmonics upon ignition. This is amplified when firing heavy bullets at low velocity due to increased recoil and longer barrel time. Unless you hunt from the truck, get out and hold the gun with two hands. Even from a benchrest you should grip the forend with your weak hand.
Ok, I'll ask the stupid question, what is the poach position?
Also, in your profile picture, what is that you're working on in your lathe?

Ok, I'll ask the stupid question, what is the poach position?
Also, in your profile picture, what is that you're working on in your lathe?
Ha! Shooting out your truck window holding the gun in one hand and a flashlite in the other hand is what we call the poach position. That's a .458 x 18 barrel blank in that picture. I've already threaded the shank to screw into my Savage 111 action and about to internally thread it for a Savage breech plug. The threading tool is home made from 01 tool steel. I normally rough turn the whole blank before I thread & chamber but this was the first time I was doing a Savage with a barrel nut and a breech plug that had to be bushed and headspaced. It seemed easy enough but the barrel was 6 inches longer than I needed so I decided to do it this way in case I needed to cut the end off and start over. I got it on the first try.

Last edited:
Nope, the question involved hunting. Shoot the way you hunt. Shooting from a bench with an ungripped forend just resting on a bag will give you good groups but will shoot differently than when holding the gun your hands to make a shot on game. The heavier the gun recoils the more pronounced the effect. This common mistake accounts for a lot of mysterious misses when the range gets long. Hunting is not benchrest!

Actually, that is the way I shoot in the field, if I have any kind of rest. Nothing touches the rifle but my right hand and cheek.

Latest posts

Back