Primer failure

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramitupurs84

Reaction score
What causes them to fail? Almost new and a range controlled type setting (covered shooter galley) Is it preventative or just luck of the draw?

What brand?

The first year I went elk hunting in Colorado I was loading my rifle one morning and I happened to look inside the cap before putting it on the nipple, there was nothing inside, it was just a copper shell. I don't use CCI #11 caps anymore. Nothing would have pissed me off more than planning and paying for that trip, then let a 3 cent cap blow the whole deal when the moment of truth arrived. Needless to say I ALWAYS look inside #11 caps to make sure there is a charge in there now.

The RWS 1075 Plus and New Remington 40% hotter always go bang.

I think the NEW Winchester #11 magnum caps are made by CCI, at least that is what I suspect. Probably same as CCI #11 Mag caps.

What causes them to fail?

I suspect it didn't have a charge inside.

How many failed? If it was just one in say 20 shots I would call it bad luck. It it was several in 20 shots, then I would be worried about the set up I have.

I was just one out of about 20-25 shots. It's the kleanbore 209's. I just pulled it out and stuck in another....it went off. I thought maybe it was something I did with storage or something....

Are you sure it was primer failure-not a plugged breech plug?
I've had misfires right after cleaning the barrel-pulled the breech plug and the cone was full of gunk. Now I pop off a primer after I clean to clear the plug, havn't had a misfire in 100 plus shots. I use the 777 primers and the remingtons.

I am positive it was that, I did nothing different then I did on 3 prior shots that day. You could see where the bolt had put a indent on the primer....

The firing pin will still dent the primer and the primer will fire but the load won't fire if the breech plug is clogged in my experience. That was all I was saying. Did you look at the breech end of the primer to see if it actually fired?

I have shot 1000s of CCI 209s, Winchester 209s, and Federal 209as and have never had a primer fail as in ignite.

It's not a good feeling...I tell you that. How do the other's clean up with Hoppes compartively.

ramitupurs84 said:
I was just one out of about 20-25 shots. It's the kleanbore 209's. I just pulled it out and stuck in another....it went off. I thought maybe it was something I did with storage or something....

My bad, I assumed you were talking about #11's in your Firehawk. Never had a 209 not go off if the firing pin hit it.

Back