Knight Primer Strikes Off Center

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey Knight shooters! Is this normal? Every primer strike is off center by a bit. It hasn't caused any ignition issues or anything. I'm just curious. These are from my Peregrine.

Attachments

• 20230819_153555.jpg
    20230819_153555.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
My first thoughts are I really do not like that. To me it would be worth a call or email with your pic to ask Knight about it.

Kinda wish you had another Knight bolt to switch out and see what the results might be.

My first thoughts are I really do not like that. To me it would be worth a call or email with your pic to ask Knight about it.

Kinda wish you had another Knight bolt to switch out and see what the results might be.
Yeah, I don't love it either. This rifle has had some quirks. Barrel diameter is much larger at bore than at breech (I have to size bullets to fall down the bore 10-12 inches in order to seat with still some pretty significant force). Knight claims that it's normal and okay.

Unfortunately, my only other Knight was the Original Disc, and I sold it years ago.

Yeah, I don't love it either. This rifle has had some quirks. Barrel diameter is much larger at bore than at breech (I have to size bullets to fall down the bore 10-12 inches in order to seat with still some pretty significant force). Knight claims that it's normal and okay.

Unfortunately, my only other Knight was the Original Disc, and I sold it years ago.

NO it is not! Contact Steve Bryant at Knight and discuss with him - the barrel situation is and should be covered by warranty.

With that bore you would not be able to shoot full bore bullets effectively. That's why it doesn't work for you!

Tell him I suggested you talk to him!

Last edited:
NO it is not! Contact Steve Bryant at Knight and discuss with him - the barrel situation is and should be covered by warranty.

With that bore you would not be able to shoot full bore bullets effectively. That's why it doesn't work for you!

Will do! Does he know you as "Sabotloader"?

It was a friend of mine that asked Steve Bryant about it. My friend was working up a load for someone in a Peregrine, and he noticed a similar condition. When he asked Knight, Steve responded and said it was okay. I will ask myself first hand, and see what Steve says. I do know that I have yet to shoot a sub MOA group at 100 yards (out of 7 groups fired) with 275 grain Fury's (lots of different BH209 charge weights). I just figured I needed to try a different bullet, and I was questioning the primer strike issue as well.

I agree with Mike. I think both the primer and bore are issues that should be corrected. Contact them and tell them you ned to have it returned and fixed. For the price paid they should check it out and fix it.

Will do! Does he know you as "Sabotloader"?
Yes, sabotloader or Mike from Idaho. I would have your first post handy to show him via text or read it. Your description of loading will be enough to encourage him to take action. ML do and can have a small variation in bore diameter but not the variation you have suggested.

But help me make sense of this. While the inconsistent barrel diameter is certainly concerning, I am surprised that the accuracy isn't even worse than it is (it shoots about like a $600 CVA). The horizontal dispersion has been very minimal. Almost all of my groups are dispersed vertically (anywhere from 1.5 - 2 MOA at 100 yards). Obviously this is far from acceptable, but I would have expected the dispersion to be in all directions. Any theories?

Bedding
But help me make sense of this. While the inconsistent barrel diameter is certainly concerning, I am surprised that the accuracy isn't even worse than it is (it shoots about like a $600 CVA). The horizontal dispersion has been very minimal. Almost all of my groups are dispersed vertically (anywhere from 1.5 - 2 MOA at 100 yards). Obviously this is far from acceptable, but I would have expected the dispersion to be in all directions. Any theories?
Bedding/free floating of the barrel?

Bedding

Bedding/free floating of the barrel?
Yes, I thought of this. That's why for some of my groups, I waited for the barrel to completely cool between shots to see if it would make any difference in dispersion, but I still saw no improvement. The barrel is fully free floated and bedded in an Aluminum bedding block.

I still bed all my stocks with an aluminum bedding block as it is not a "perfect" fit to the Receiver.

My barrel channels have a minimum of 0.015" of clearance back towards the recoil lug and 0.045" of clearance at the end of the stock. I opened up the ramrod channel so that it not touching the barrel especially back towards the recoil lug.

Is your ramrod in or out when shooting? Mine is in. I also remove the leaf spring and hold the ramrod in place with a wrap of electrical tape.

This is with the DISC Elite tupperware stocks.

I do the same thing with the Bell & Carlson stocks with aluminum bedding blocks that I use on my Remington 700 MLSs.

This has worked for me.

Last edited:
Hey Knight shooters! Is this normal? Every primer strike is off center by a bit. It hasn't caused any ignition issues or anything. I'm just curious. These are from my Peregrine.

My Knights are not centered either. They got better once I started setting the headspace using the back of bolt handle cut in the Receiver instead of the Bolt Retention Screw. I have older Knights that I never updated with the quick release and have the "as cast" slot in the Bolt.

Last edited:
The rifle will shoot sabots because of the pressure behind the sabot will cause the polymer sabot to swell to the diameter of the barrel. With that happening it will be accurate. If you were to switch to a full bore bullet.... like a regular rifle, accuracy mwould more than likely go out the door.

So, I guess it really comes down to your personal decision. If you stay with sabots you will likely continue to have good accuracy.

The rifle will shoot sabots because of the pressure behind the sabot will cause the polymer sabot to swell to the diameter of the barrel. With that happening it will be accurate. If you were to switch to a full bore bullet.... like a regular rifle, accuracy mwould more than likely go out the door.

So, I guess it really comes down to your personal decision. If you stay with sabots you will likely continue to have good accuracy.
I am not shooting sabots (I have to shoot full bore to maintain .40 caliber minimum in Utah). I use ELR's only to foul the bore, and then sized Fury's from there. The ELR's shoot terribly as expected. I honestly wish I could size the Fury's even smaller to reduce loading force at the breech end, but that would only compound my issues at the bore end. The high seating force required is making it difficult to seat the bullet consistently (which could also add to the vertical stringing issues).

I contacted Steve Brian. We'll see what he says.

Latest posts

Back