Knight Primer Strikes Off Center

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After doing some more research, it doesn't appear that the primer strikes being off center would have any significant impact on accuracy/velocity as long as they don't misfire. It's a quirk, but nothing more.

I am not shooting sabots (I have to shoot full bore to maintain .40 caliber minimum in Utah). I use ELR's only to foul the bore, and then sized Fury's from there. The ELR's shoot terribly as expected. I honestly wish I could size the Fury's even smaller to reduce loading force at the breech end, but that would only compound my issues at the bore end. The high seating force required is making it difficult to seat the bullet consistently (which could also add to the vertical stringing issues).

I contacted Steve Brian. We'll see what he says.

This is important information!

So you would be in trouble shooting something like these. They are terribly accurate and deadly

O but, darn these are not 50's

458-260-Sabotless-Target.jpg

45-260-Sabotless.jpg

Ready.jpg

But, they only ride on the drive barbs and the bottom of your barrel would reduce the barb so much it would not grip the top of the barrel

This is an example of a 50

IMG-1373.jpg

Last edited:
This is important information!

So you would be in trouble shooting something like these. They are terribly accurate and deadly

O but, darn these are not 50's

But, they only ride on the drive barbs and the bottom of your barrel would reduce the barb so much it would not grip the top of the barrel

This is an example of a 50
I definitely want to be shooting sized bullets, not sabots, skirts, or similar. I think I would gift this thing to Eldiablo before going back to a sabot 🤣.

This is what is frustrating. Knight has an instructional video showing them sizing bullets for the Peregrine so that they just start down the bore (not free fall into the abyss). If I sized them like they show, I would have to use a sledge hammer once it got half way down the bore.

This is their video:

This is what is frustrating. Knight has an instructional video showing them sizing bullets for the Peregrine so that they just start down the bore (not free fall into the abyss). If I sized them like they show, I would have to use a sledge hammer once it got half way down the bore.

Perfect state use this when you get Steve. Try early Tennessee time Tuesday or Wednesday

Peregrine barrels a built to a tighter standard than regular ML barrels.

Update:
I emailed Steve on Sunday night, but I hadn't heard anything back as of this morning, so I decided to submit a request through their website as well. Found out Steve is on vacation, and that's why he hadn't answered my email. I spoke with one of their gun builders named Billy instead (nice guy).

Billy isn't familiar with sizing bullets etc., so he had to talk to their engineer, who suggested that maybe there are merely some burrs in the riflings causing the issues, and it just needs to be lapped or broken in with more shooting 🙄. After some convincing, Billy finally agreed that the rifle needs to be sent back to be looked at, so he sent me a label, and I dropped it off at FedEx this afternoon.

Billy told me that the Peregrine barrels aren't actually made by Green Mountain, which is odd because their website clearly states that they are.

He also said that the Peregrines have had nothing but problems (hopefully this doesn't get him in trouble), and he wishes they had never gotten themselves into them. Go figure!

I sent a sized bullet with the rifle, and I also took some measurements beforehand. My bullets are sized between. 4008 and .4012 (depending on how it's rotated in the micrometer). The free-fall in the clean barrel is 15", and then the seating pressure is about right from there down (with the exception of the very breech end where it is exceptionally tight, but it doesn't really matter anyway as the bullet doesn't get seated that far down). But that's in a clean bore. Ideally, I really need to size the bullets slightly smaller as the seating force required in a fouled bore has been fairly significant (I would guess 30-40 lbs), which has made applying consistent force more difficult. This may also be a factor in my vertical stringing issues.

It will be interesting to see what they say. I feel their pain. There is nothing worse than dealing with quality complaints that you don't know how to correct.

Not to make fun of your situation, but….this is kind like a bad soap opera. For the money you spent, the rifle should be perfect.

Let me get this straight. They’re having nothing but problems with the Peregrines, Green Mountain doesn’t make the barrels and they’re (Billy anyway) not familiar with sized bullets?! Wow!

Hope they make it right for you! Almost makes a feller glad he stuck with the ol’ “weak links.” 😉

Not to make fun of your situation, but….this is kind like a bad soap opera. For the money you spent, the rifle should be perfect.

Let me get this straight. They’re having nothing but problems with the Peregrines, Green Mountain doesn’t make the barrels and they’re (Billy anyway) not familiar with sized bullets?! Wow!

Hope they make it right for you! Almost makes a feller glad he stuck with the ol’ “weak links.” 😉
I only laugh to keep from crying 😅. But yes, that's what I learned today. If any of that turns out not to be true, I will update everyone.

And yes, if I don't get this thing back in time, then I may be going shopping for a pack of sabots and a CVA wolf to get me by since my Accura is now property of my younger brother 🤦‍♂️.

Latest posts

Back