Primer Failure??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With #11 primers FTF have been a bigger problem for me . Fitment on the nipple being the worst offender for FTF . My Super 91 seems to work best with a Remington cap . Back in the day the BK92 Knight seemed to prefer CCI's . Ive actually never found any RWS caps for sale by me !!! I always thought that a bit weird . Love to try them but i may never know how theyd do !!! Ive always Heard they are the Best #11 caps .
Ive never seen the RWS caps around here either.

Muzzle-Loaders has them.

edit..I just checked and they're out of #11 but have the musket caps.

Do you clean your firing pin, crud gathers in the bushing and can cause FTF by slowing the strike.
For my son's stuck firing pin a little WD 50 freed it up. Of course it was a learning experience for him. I recall that day as we headed out to hunt I asked him if he test fired or scope check it. He replied he didn't need to because it was on the last time when he took the 8 pt test prior season. LMAO! :elmer:

The last time I found RWS primers was about four years ago in Northern California at a Sportsmans Warehouse store. They are the best.

I've had a few cold morning hagnfires, but never a FTF with #11 caps. My hangfires almost disappeared when I went to Win Magnum caps. I purchased an Accura .45 last year and had my first FTF on a very cold morning. My friend had several FTFs on her .50 Accura. Be careful using WD-40 on your guns. I cleaned my brass with it once, and had a FTF on a 7mm Mag, and missed an elk. Turns out WD-40 will creep into the primer. The police figured this out long ago, apparently after some bad experiences.

I've had a few cold morning hagnfires, but never a FTF with #11 caps. My hangfires almost disappeared when I went to Win Magnum caps. I purchased an Accura .45 last year and had my first FTF on a very cold morning. My friend had several FTFs on her .50 Accura. Be careful using WD-40 on your guns. I cleaned my brass with it once, and had a FTF on a 7mm Mag, and missed an elk. Turns out WD-40 will creep into the primer. The police figured this out long ago, apparently after some bad experiences.
Yep a gun , Any gun , is No Place for wd-40 to be around !!! Seems to create more havoc than good long term . I sonic clean my brass then a quick tumble with corn cob and a little Brasso for shine these days . Works good and much quicker . I also nail polish over my primers and necks MINIMALLY and wipe off excess unneeded . Just figured id offer this up for anybody whom may need the tip .

Last edited:
I've found WD-40 to be a great cleaner and removes moisture but I use Break Free CLP as a lubricant. I've never had a problem using this combo on any gun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back