Primers-again...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getonit

Reaction score
thought I'd post some interesting findings on primer sizes-another post was talking on tight fitting federals- the difference in the federal 209 to the 209A makes all the matter- I grabbed a box of them off my loading bench tonight and was putting them in the plastic primer holders I made today- decided to try it out on the gun and cycle the bolt-and the primer fit -Snug- more so than I'm used to- then I noticed they had the brass color body compared to the copper color I normally shoot-HMMM? then looked at the box- they were the 209- not the 209A. Out comes the calipers- here's the results...
P1011289.jpg
out of these boxes the Federal 209A was the smallest size- followed by the Winchester,CCI then the Federal 209.....they all fit -the cci and Federal 209 are snug though. So the Savage breech plug may not be as much of a culprit as some have made it out to be- the one with the "A" at the end of the Federal package would probably fit all the Savage MLII's fine...hope this helps -Getonit-

just the section that goes into the breechplug- thats what sticks...I'm not concerned about the other "bolt end"...(.308- by the way. :roll: )..The measure point is the halfway point- as it has a slight taper to the point.. : :? .-Getonit-

It is just the nose of the 209 that goes into the breechplug-- on my 10ML-II's, the portion that measures .239" nominal on a Winchester 209.

Most Savage breechplugs have about a .2395" hole, making Winchesters the best fit. But, you can shoot any primer you want-- just a moment's touch-up with a reamer, and you are set for Federal 209A's if that is what you prefer (size "C" drill bit does the trick).

Randy- sorry for the delay- was just leaving for hunting at this mornings post and just returned :( ( yes- the savage took another buck this morning!!! :D :D ) I did a simple test to see how far the primer reaches into the breech plug- take a sharpie marker and ink the primer all around- insert it into the carrier and cycle the bolt- unless my MLII's are alot different than yours :shock: my primers go OVER halfway in- not just the nose. the OAL of the primer is .298- .193 goes into the breech by the scuff marks on the primer-
P1011051.jpg
winchesters (the lot I have) are a bit larger than the 209A fed's -measureing from the CENTER where the primers fit tightest.. :roll: As measured in the beginning....-Getonit-

Back