Primers for BH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mogunr

Reaction score
I'm going to be trying out some of the Blackhorn 209 powder and was wondering what primers others have used and results. I shoot a TC Omega.
Thanks

mogunr said:
I'm going to be trying out some of the Blackhorn 209 powder and was wondering what primers others have used and results. I shoot a TC Omega.
Thanks

Winchester W209s, Federal 209As, and CCI 209s all give excellent results.

It has been said that the BH209 needs a full 209 primer, not the light weight muzzleloading versions designed for T7. This is a list I got from Hodgdon a few years ago about 209 Primer temperature.

Hottest to coldest.

Federal 209A
Chedditte
Remington
CCI 209 M
Winchester
CCI standard

If you have issues with hangfires, I would definately try the Federal 209A as they are the hottest. If it still hangs, time for a new breechplug design.

The question here is are they talking about gas temperature or volume, quite often they are referring to volume most primers burn the compound and produce gas at just over 3000 degrees and when they say hotter they are referring to the amount of gas produced. There has been quite a discussion in some quarters about the gas pressure moving the bullet and sabot before the powder is burning properly, and to be frank I can not believe that there can be any thing detrimental going on when I get one hole groups. Lee

Lee 9 said:
The question here is are they talking about gas temperature or volume, quite often they are referring to volume most primers burn the compound and produce gas at just over 3000 degrees and when they say hotter they are referring to the amount of gas produced. There has been quite a discussion in some quarters about the gas pressure moving the bullet and sabot before the powder is burning properly, and to be frank I can not believe that there can be any thing detrimental going on when I get one hole groups. Lee

What primers are you using :?:

I hit the range a couple of days ago with the Omega had a fouled barrel from my last outing.Loaded the 110gr BH209,250gr SST and used CCI standard primers.3 shot group was about 2 1/2" not what it was last outing...remembered I was using Winchester primers and shot the next 3 with those and back down the 1 " group I had ....so I guess there is a difference

mogunr
I use the Win 209 the same ones I use for reloading Shot shells, I got the best groups with them with both 777 and black Horn. It seems to make more differance in some guns than others; The Triumph for instance does well with with both CCI's and the Win never tried the others the Omega likes the win209 and groups open some with others in fact I found some old win209 thats been in a drawer for 15 or 18 years and they shot 2.5 inch groups with the same load that normally shoots under an inch. Lee

Back