primers?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savageml10-2

Reaction score
i was reading about primers and the article stated that the win 209`s that say for use in muzzleloading rifles Aka walmart have less power to better ignite 777 and pyro pellets due to pellet and sabot liftoff in regular muzzleloaders. I guess my ? is this true or are all win 209`s the same? hmm some confusion after reading that!

IMO per 5 Breech plugs and two Savages. The Winchester primers are the best. Federals are veryyyyy tight to use in the Savage. Every other Muzzleloader i use the Federal 209 primers.

It seems that all the MLII's are a little different- mine and my dads both take the Federals without any problem- it's the one we've both stayed with.... I've tried CCI,Winchester and Federal all without problems though.The federals are the hottest followed by the CCI then Winchester- I've wanted the hottest as a piece of mind. The Win. 209's are the same as the ones purchased for the shotshells- they just make more $$$ in the packaging for ML's..... Seasons Greetings!... -Getonit-

I have 5 Sav breechplugs spread out over 3 years of purchase. 2 will not take Fed 209As well the others, no problem.

Got 2 Sav.10MLs,one likes Fed209As,I cuss the other one! You gotta try them! Manufacturing tolerance differences.The only way you are going to get sabot bullet lift off,is if the powder is wet.Use the winchester or Feds.or CCIs.One of those will work for you,if primer fires and gun fails to go boom, make sure you re-seat!

well this article sure was misleading it had me thinking that there were differences in win 209 :evil:

savageml10-2 said:
i was reading about primers and the article stated that the win 209`s that say for use in muzzleloading rifles Aka walmart have less power to better ignite 777 and pyro pellets due to pellet and sabot liftoff in regular muzzleloaders. I guess my ? is this true or are all win 209`s the same? hmm some confusion after reading that!
Here is a thread from back in August that covers this very subject.......
http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=916&highlight=winchester+primer

IndianaHunter said:
I believe Federal primers = more carbon buildup...I use Winchester...
I believe and do the same.

Back