primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fast67dart

Reaction score
i am new to the smokeless muzzleloader scene so hello to everyone out there. my main question is about primers. awhile back when researching the smokeless Savage ML-II i recall seeing a post about primers but not sure where and can't find it again. I believe what i remember reading is that people preferred the winchester primers because the had a more uniform heat than others. does any recall this post or does anybody have thoughts on this?

howard hollinger
fast67dart

thanks for your thoughts and suggestions

Winchester W209s are the primers that fit most 10ML-II breech plugs the best. There in no "uniformity of heat" spec in shotshell primers.

Remington STS, Win 209, and Federal 209A's are all considered "magnum" primers. Lyman and other shotshell reloading manuals show the hierarchy of primer strength:

Federal 209A (hottest)
Winchester 209
Remington STS

thanks for your reply. i knew i saw a post that there were differences in primers but i wasn't 100 percent sure why. so you think the 209 would be best or is the 209a necessary?

howard
fast67dart

fast67dart said:
thanks for your reply. i knew i saw a post that there were differences in primers but i wasn't 100 percent sure why. so you think the 209 would be best or is the 209a necessary?

howard
fast67dart
Welcome aboard Howard! Glad to have you here. Some prefer the 209A in colder weather,that is just a preference thing.I use them year round.They are both good choices.It is your pick.

I've been using CCI 209s in four 10ML-IIs without a hitch! 8)

I have Fed 209A, CCI and CCIM on hand but I'm still using the Win 209. I have been testing the Remington's (wouldn't use them in the Savage)in my Disc Elite and so far so good. :wink:

first of all WELCOME! the federal 209 would be a tighter fit than the 209A though both will work- I have heard the 209 was discontinued but cant say for sure as I bought a brick this summer- Rick

I like Winchester 209 primers myself. But I work for the company that makes them so I might be a little predigest. :lol: Serious though I have not tryed any of the others, but have read Federal then Winchester then Remingtons in that order as being the hotest.

Don

hi again and nice to meet everybody here. my ML-II is brand new. passed my TC black diamond onto my nephew so i thought i would get one of these. haven't decided on powder yet. my dad reloads all of our rifle shells so i will let him decide on that. i have never shot a deer with anything other than reloads. he would kill me. i also hear alot about vent liners here. what is their importance and what is recommended?

howard hollinger
fast67dart

probably the top vote getter is Randy Wakemans ventliners- they last a million shots- :shock: or something like that- :lol: :lol: the standard Savage liners do last for quite a few depending on the powders-some of the faster such as 2400 wears them quicker... Rick

thanks again guys for all of your replys. what is everybodys favorite bullet for this gun for whitetails? i use a 245 powerbelt in my Black Diamond. Do you need to use a sabot in the ML? seems like that is all anybody uses.

howard
fast67dart

. Do you need to use a sabot in the ML?
howard
fast67dart[/quote] make sure its the high pressure sabot also....Rick

Sabots with smokeless, OK to use conical's with BP substitutes.
Ken

Latest posts

Back