Problem/Encore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muleylover

Reaction score
I have a TC encore and was shooting it the other day at the range and everything was going fine. When I loaded it and went to pull the hammer back the hammer wouldn't pull back and set. It would move a bit but wouldn't set up. I took it all apart at the range and couldn't find anything in it trigger assembly. I took it home and scrubbed it out, and oiled it and put it all back together and it seems to be working fine. I clean this thing very well and havn't gotten quite 100 rounds thru the gun (bought it new). Has anyone else encountered this problem? I have an elk hunt in a week and am a little worried.

If you do not have the breechplug fully inserted (or if it backs out a bit while shooting) it will not allow the action to fully close. That will in turn prevent the trigger's mechanical interlock from being depressed which prevents the hammer from cocking.

Just a guess on the breechplug, but it does sound like the interlock wasn't being depressed.

hmm...it seems to be working fine now, I will keep that in mind. It worked fine for about 20 shots and then wouldn't cock. Primer seemed like it was setting right. Thanks guys.

There is a lesson in this as well. Always cock you rifle after inserting a primer just to make sure it does cock. You will always see your biggest buck when the hammmer won't stay locked.

Chocdog

Another thing to check is the hammer spur if you have one. Sometimes they will touch the wood not allowing the hammer to come all the way back. On some Encores the wood is slightly higher than the steel where the buttstock meets the action.

Latest posts

Back